Report ranks jobs by rates of depression (AP)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 3:12 pm

Report ranks jobs by rates of depression

WASHINGTON - People who tend to the elderly, change diapers and serve up food and drinks have the highest rates of depression among U.S. workers.

Overall, 7 percent of full-time workers battled depression in the past year, according to a government report available Saturday.

The lowest rate of depression, 4.3 percent, occurred in the job category that covers engineers, architects and surveyors.

more...

- Emerson

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Oct 2007, 3:16 pm

Their was even a company apparently offering counseling to its employees that had suffered from depression because depressed people are not productive people

I think the US needs to address this problem, 30-45 billion dollars per year loss of productivity because of depressed workers is a problem, especally because some of these depressed workers work in jobs caring for children and the elderly, and some of these people go insane from it, its a very serious problem and medication is not always the solution.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 4:13 pm

Just for those of you interested, the original article where all of this is taken from is here: http://oas.samhsa.gov/2k7/depression/occupation.htm

I had to hunt to find it and mostly I think I just got lucky when I did. :)

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2007, 1:01 pm

I read the article yesterday in the yahoo page,
usually more men have enginering, and arch. jobs
depression happens more in women, they don't seem to take note of this fact.
who cares for children and the elderly?
yes, mostly females

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 4:59 am

It's not surprising that these jobs would be depressing, especially if they are badly-paid (as they often are).

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 7:50 pm

it does make sense, something has gotta be done for these people.

wrongthinking
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2007, 12:30 pm

Quote:
It's not surprising that these jobs would be depressing, especially if they are badly-paid (as they often are).

I work in healthcare. It is depressing no matter what the pay scale is. I've seen doctors crushed when a longstanding patient came up with cancer.
Having said that...it is easier to get depressed when money is tight.

Engineers, by the way, A) cash in pretty good, and B) have jobs where they make things and accomplish tangible goals. (my godfather was an engineer)

"Ow... What the?! !" -Sir Isaac Newton

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 6:39 am

I think any job where you have time pressure, little control over outcomes and high responsibility will be depressing for most people. For a perfectionist (which we often are), it becomes intolerable sooner or later.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2007, 11:41 am

The flip side of the situation is that most people who wind up in these "depressing" jobs may already be pre-disposed to depression for any number of reasons. Many people who work in elder or child care, food service, or artistic fields have histories of drug abuse, criminal activity, lack of higher education, abusive childhoods, etc. While many of these types of jobs are certainly not pleasant, it's doubtful that they are the sole reason so many people in these fields are depressed.

The jobs listed at the higher end of the satisfaction scale attract individuals who tend to approach professional (and perhaps also personal) issues in a more logical and less emotional way.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 7:32 am

It's scary to think such people are in charge of some of the most vulnerable members of our society.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2010, 7:12 pm

MrMark wrote:
Report ranks jobs by rates of depression

WASHINGTON - People who tend to the elderly, change diapers and serve up food and drinks have the highest rates of depression among U.S. workers.

Overall, 7 percent of full-time workers battled depression in the past year, according to a government report available Saturday.

The lowest rate of depression, 4.3 percent, occurred in the job category that covers engineers, architects and surveyors.

more...

Most high maintenance jobs out there are Corporate Attorneys or any kind of Physician (the ones who have to go into the ER room).