Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Traex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2007, 12:57 pm

Does anyone with AS or any ASDs (Autism Spectrum Disorders) here have any experiences working in financial markets sector like market technical or fundamental analysts, brokers/dealers, or even traders? Has anyone with AS or any ASDs tried to do trading in financial markets (like stocks, bonds, futures, options, forex, etc)?

I myself have an interest in financial markets analysis (and also trading) now (technical charting, especially things like Elliott Wave Principle and Fibonacci Projections). Please give some opinions about how Aspies would perform in this sector.
And if it's not good, what are the psychological barriers that Aspies have regarding the performance compared to normal people?

Sorry for so many questions here, but I'm really curious. Thanks in advance. :)

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 1:42 pm

Vernon L. Smith is an aspie, and he won the Nobel prize in economy. 8)

Space
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 1:58 pm

It depends on your job, but some of those jobs require extremely good interpersonal skills (stock brokers, etc) because you are in a sales position essentially. Maybe if you could find an area where you could do your job independently?

Liquidmatrix
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2007, 12:40 pm

I have an account with Scottrade currently, and working independently. The biggest psychological barrier to working for a firm, for me personally, would have to be the interpersonal requirements. Knowing something well enough but being unable to express it to others for feedback is not only frustrating, but can become a potential career disaster. If you can manage the interpersonal aspects, then I applaud you and go for it! I believe there is the Series 7 exam for becoming a licensed stockbroker as well as the other Series exams, I don't know. There ain't nothing stopping us aspies from doing the things that NT's do everyday, IMHO. :D

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 1:26 pm

But, if you could work successfully at managing your own money, then you wouldn't need anyone else.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 12:43 am

Liquidmatrix wrote:
I have an account with Scottrade currently, and working independently. The biggest psychological barrier to working for a firm, for me personally, would have to be the interpersonal requirements. Knowing something well enough but being unable to express it to others for feedback is not only frustrating, but can become a potential career disaster. If you can manage the interpersonal aspects, then I applaud you and go for it! I believe there is the Series 7 exam for becoming a licensed stockbroker as well as the other Series exams, I don't know. There ain't nothing stopping us aspies from doing the things that NT's do everyday, IMHO. :D

This would be a huge barrier in being a successful stockbroker from what I hear. But, it doesn't mean you can't have success, but it is a very competitive and cut-throat profession, and seems to go against a lot of aspie traits. Noone can say that you can't do anything you want, you can go into whatever profession you choose, but it is a fact some professions I think would be harder on a person with AS because of their culture and the skills and abilities they demand from their workers. If you do go into this field, be sure to tell us all about it, I would be very interested :D

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 8:46 pm

If you can work with other people fluidly, broker or trader would be good. Many Aspies have good people skills. If you would rather do more technical work, an analyst position could be good. It still needs people skills to gather information, but not as much.

No reason why you can't do what you want. :D

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2010, 7:21 pm

If you are good at socializing with others, then go for getting a job in that area. If you ask me, I agree with Sales and Trading being the most Aspie freindly position in the financial world, but if you feel like you don't want to work on Wall Street, become your own boss and start your own financial trading firm and you can do good at it.

AspiInLV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2010, 8:14 pm

A wise bald man once said:

"the only position for this market is the fetal position"