Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Brocknoth
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2007, 12:28 pm

In my boredom I've been browsing through various online personals and a common theme I've noticed among the ones that are posted by women is that they all want a tall guy. The majority of these ads want someone 5'10-6'1 and won't settle for someone shorter. Even if the person is 5'9 its not good enough, they need to be within the required height or they get ignored.

Now I'm not responding to any these, nor am I using these sites to find a date, I'm just baffled by this odd obsession with tall men. Ladies perhaps you could shed some light on this odd preference? I really don't see whats so interesting about a tall guy. If you ask me making height a requirement is actually kind of shallow.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 12:36 pm

Here's a link to a WrongPlanet discussion on that very topic:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt42357.html

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 12:59 pm

Everybody has their preferences. Personally, I don't like to look down at my date, and I like to wear heels. So my favorite height range is 5'8" to 5'10". I don't like them too tall. But (if I was still single) if the perfect guy came along and was taller or shorter, that would be okay. I have noticed that while most females have a "type", most males really don't. But most females will date outside their "type", you just have to start somewhere.

Most of us have grown up with the phrase "tall dark and handsome" drilled into our brains, so maybe we can just blame society.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 12:59 pm

It is on that thread where I express my secret fetish for shorties...guys 5'5" and under....
I, myself am just shy of 5'2"...so maybe that is why...
Unfortunately...there can sometimes be weird ego issues with short guys...not always...but sometimes.....
I will still sometimes notice a guy who is on the short side...even though my boyfriend is 5'11"
I am not dating him because of his height.

I have a female friend who is 6'3" and she had issues against dating anyone shorter than her...even though she did from time to time...
Similarly...I find it very strange and akward dating guys who are really super tall.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 2:20 pm

I've always wondered about this.
I'm 5' 5", and always wanted to date taller girls (back in my dating days.)
Never got to. Funny, though, TM is only an inch or two shorter than I am.

Just one of those 'hard wired' things? Ladies like to literally 'look up' to their man??

Macallan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2007, 2:26 pm

Brocknoth wrote:
I really don't see whats so interesting about a tall guy. If you ask me making height a requirement is actually kind of shallow.

Ah well, I'm 6' tall myself and while I have been out with guys who are shorter than me (as short as 5'9"), I like to wear heels sometimes which can make me 6'3" or 6'4". I agree that it's all the same when you're lying down, but it feels very, very weird to me to be bending down to kiss a guy.

Sorry if you think that's me being shallow but a guy shorter than me would have to have something special about him for me to date him.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 2:57 pm

Macallan wrote:
Brocknoth wrote:
I really don't see whats so interesting about a tall guy. If you ask me making height a requirement is actually kind of shallow.

Ah well, I'm 6' tall myself and while I have been out with guys who are shorter than me (as short as 5'9"), I like to wear heels sometimes which can make me 6'3" or 6'4". I agree that it's all the same when you're lying down, but it feels very, very weird to me to be bending down to kiss a guy.

Sorry if you think that's me being shallow but a guy shorter than me would have to have something special about him for me to date him.

I don't think that's shallow of you, and I'm a short guy. I'd feel darn weird angling upward to kiss a girl six inches taller than me!
It might be kinda cool for a while, just because it's different. But the novelty would wear off pretty quick. My ex-wife was half an inch taller than me, and that was fine with me.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 3:03 pm

Never had a preference here...but at 5' 1" just about everyone else IS taller than me. :lol:

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 3:39 pm

Perhaps they imagine the genitalia to be similarly proportioned?

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

14 Nov 2007, 3:49 pm

I am female and personally I would not care if the person I was dating was only 4ft tall. By the way I am 5'4ft.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 4:21 pm

zghost wrote:
Everybody has their preferences. Personally, I don't like to look down at my date, and I like to wear heels. So my favorite height range is 5'8" to 5'10". I don't like them too tall. But (if I was still single) if the perfect guy came along and was taller or shorter, that would be okay. I have noticed that while most females have a "type", most males really don't. But most females will date outside their "type", you just have to start somewhere.

Most of us have grown up with the phrase "tall dark and handsome" drilled into our brains, so maybe we can just blame society.

don't blame the society nor the media ...this is only a consequence of natural selection / evolution. Society/media/cultures are all based on natural selection.

Males humans are polygamous by nature so instinctively they like to have as many fertile/healthy (=pretty) females as they can to spread their genes ...that's why men don't really care about specific traits or specific 'type' of women , a fine femininity of the woman is more than enough for them. '
As for the female humans they instinctively seek the alpha male ...that's why most women say that they like a specific 'type' of men ie. the confident/strong/handsome/tall man ---> and that 'type ' is the most common type preferred by women..it's the typical alpha type.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 5:42 pm

I've always wondered about this as well.
I am 5'10'' and want a taller girl or of equal height.
{I would not care if said girl is an inch or two shorter.}
Probably never will, but hey, there is college to look forward to.

It would be very awkward if I had to literally pick up my shorter GF or get down on my knees and kiss her.

:lol:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 8:01 pm

I prefer tall guys, but I wouldn't dismiss a short one. I remember that in high school I really, really liked a guy who was about a head shorter than me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 8:04 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
I prefer tall guys, but I wouldn't dismiss a short one. I remember that in high school I really, really liked a guy who was about a head shorter than me.

Well, if a guy that short asks you out, you at least know he's brave! :)

If you want a guy with self-confidence, that would be a sure indicator. I once asked a girl to lunch who was three inches taller than me, AND she worked in my office. So ya, a little risky. But she said yes, and we had a good lunch. She opened up and told me all these intimate things about her past, and I was like "WOW, she really trusts me."

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 8:28 pm

Being 5'10" should help, except that my weight makes me look shorter than I am. Weight has that effect, where rail-thim people look taller than if they were 30 or 40 lbs heavier...

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 9:31 am

Ragtime wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

Well, if a guy that short asks you out, you at least know he's brave! :)

If you want a guy with self-confidence, that would be a sure indicator. I once asked a girl to lunch who was three inches taller than me, AND she worked in my office. So ya, a little risky. But she said yes, and we had a good lunch. She opened up and told me all these intimate things about her past, and I was like "WOW, she really trusts me."

Confidence is always good, it's annoying to have to always boost someone's ego.
It sounds like that risk was worth taking, kudos to you for doing it. I've never had the guts to ask anyone out yet.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I