Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 9:14 am

My old Gateway 2000 model used to freeze up a LOT in the last 6 months of her life, So I got a Dell Dimension to replace it. So far, no freezes...but Faline (my computer's name} gets so slow at times, it's like she is frozen, so maybe it's time for a faster processor. :?

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 12:24 pm

I very rarely get any kind of freezing or system error with my computers. I have a 2 year old laptop and its been perfect except for a hardware fault which had to be repaired.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jan 2008, 2:58 pm

Sometimes it's worth taking the lid off you PC and giving a good clean such has makes sure your cables are all tidy and remove dust and fluff that's built up over the years. You'd be surprised how much this can help keep you PC cool inside and prevent things from getting to hot and crashing.

Every year I also take my cpu cooler off scrape away the old thermal compound and lap some fresh Arctic Silver on. My PC now is over clocked and extra 800mhz and the temperature of my Q6600 is extremely low when idle.

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2008, 7:08 pm

freezing is a windows thing. When my computer had vista on it froze every 10 mins. I switched to kubuntu and my computer hasnt froze since. Kubuntu is linux so its probalby because the linux kernel is more stable than the kernel vista uses.

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2008, 8:59 pm

My comp keeps randomly turning off :x . I tried reinstalling windows but that didnt fix it.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jan 2008, 12:09 am

MattD wrote:
My comp keeps randomly turning off :x . I tried reinstalling windows but that didnt fix it.

Computers tend to turn themselves of due to instability, to hot or both.

Some software called Core Temp will tell what you tempature of your CPU is while in windows. It can be downloaded here

Core Temp Link

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 5:12 am

My computers got to the point where it needs to be rebooted regularly.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 6:29 am

Current uptime 10 days, 19 hours. That's since the three minute webserving hiatus, at the reboot I chose to do, after my in-place upgrade from Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10.

What is "instability"? Not a term particularly used, other than on Windows boxes.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 8:56 pm

mine will freeze if i use it at anytime before loading the secruity shield that reminds me daily that mine will no longer connect to microsoft, after that damn thing comes up i can work it to death.

blueskies
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2008, 4:27 pm

well, when I still used Linux on my laptop it froze on me maybe once every 6 months.
Unfortunately I'm back to Win XP (company machine) nowadays, happpens every f***** second day now. And I'm not even talking about program crashes...

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 2:52 am

My nanna's computer (the one I'm using now) freezes whenever I have ZSNES opened.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 3:54 am

Mine only freezes very very occasionally and not through any pattern or fault of mine. I think it's a motherboard issue - since it's a crap DELL - (I miss the old IBMs - haven't tried Lenovo)..