Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 9:39 am

Mine freezes every day, so I'm not exactly happy about it.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 10:16 am

mine, whenever i try to use 3d buildings on google earth 4.2 i know its not the machine itself with its hardware and compatibility with the GE editions, i thinkg GE forgot a .dll when they released the last 3 updates for it.

theAPERSON:

what operating system?, if windows:

perform disk cleanup, scandisk, uninstall or remove programs you dont need or are obsolete?? perform antivirus scan, trojan check, antispy/adaware??

made sure you have manufacturer AND operating system updates?? (such as microsoft updates (OS) and manufacturer (HP for example)

do you also have a firewall?? and also processor, after about 4 years computers are a bit obsolete

and is it running slow in both on and offline or just online??

good luck please pm or email or im me if still no luck

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 10:53 am

Months ago, and Windows was involved. (I have a Mac)

sparkman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2007, 12:22 pm

it has twice since i added another 2gb or memory:S must have a bad stick

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 2:25 pm

My PC rarely - say once a year, but thats due to the fact I built it, and installed it all myself (with only programs I want)
My laptop BSOD's on a regular basis. Will be wiping out XP and installing Ubunutu 7.10 in the near future.

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2007, 11:59 pm

Rarely, whether in XP or Linux.

I had a lot of lockups when running Vista though. It was constantly hanging a process.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 12:03 am

All the time.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 12:24 am

Mine rarely ever freeze's on me,since its Core 2 Duo and 2GB :D :P

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 7:26 am

Mine's an old computer. My parents are thinking of getting a new computer but they haven't got round to it yet. I'm hoping to get wireless broadband with a new computer so I can play my DS and Wii online.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 7:55 am

Out of the wide array of computers i work with in my soon to be computer repair company rarely. I get the computer. If its used turn the computer on and write down all the specs and scavage the hard drive for programs like older games left on the drive.[Of Course i put those on flash drive.]
Fix any hardware issues and format the sucker. When a customer wants a computer i install the operating system based on thier computer skill.
[Ones that i use will have Ubunthu, DSL,Windows XP, ME or 98.]

Out of all of my experience even my win 98/ME boxes never give the blue screen.[In most cases i stripped down the startup configuration to mininal.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 8:08 am

gamefreak wrote:
Out of the wide array of computers i work with in my soon to be computer repair company rarely. I get the computer. If its used turn the computer on and write down all the specs and scavage the hard drive for programs like older games left on the drive.[Of Course i put those on flash drive.]
Fix any hardware issues and format the sucker. When a customer wants a computer i install the operating system based on thier computer skill.

Out of all of my experience even my win 98/ME boxes never give the blue screen.[In most cases i stripped down the startup configuration to mininal.

mine did it every day about 2 times daily, my fault through, never did any disk cleanup, had aol and mcafee (yea i know not good news) and because of the BSOD i lost 2 auctions for same item about 4 months apart, item was a norton closer made in 1882 that i really wanted, when bsod happened it was like 30 seconds to end of auction, then had to restart computer, when it was ready to reconnect online, it was too late!!

no more will i use win me to rely as my main OS if i ever do get it working again, im NOT ever again using mcafee!! last error it had was vguard.dll has a problem and needs to close click ok to continue, so i did then came up the "fatel system error have system restore disk ready"

i then attempted the restore (long before i got system mechanic 6 disk that thing saved the butt of win 2000 pro and win xp that i use)

some thing macs are good for people who only know how to turn the computer on and off (novices) whats your opinion??

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 8:31 am

doordoctor wrote:
gamefreak wrote:

mine did it every day about 2 times daily, my fault through, never did any disk cleanup, had aol and mcafee (yea i know not good news) and because of the BSOD i lost 2 auctions for same item about 4 months apart, item was a norton closer made in 1882 that i really wanted, when bsod happened it was like 30 seconds to end of auction, then had to restart computer, when it was ready to reconnect online, it was too late!!

no more will i use win me to rely as my main OS if i ever do get it working again, im NOT ever again using mcafee!! last error it had was vguard.dll has a problem and needs to close click ok to continue, so i did then came up the "fatel system error have system restore disk ready"

i then attempted the restore (long before i got system mechanic 6 disk that thing saved the butt of win 2000 pro and win xp that i use)

some thing macs are good for people who only know how to turn the computer on and off (novices) whats your opinion??

Its probaly American Online. AOL is known for being a malicious POS. May i suggest DSL internet. [More Expensive but well worth it.] AVG an Avast are also very good virus tools you won`t have a problem with.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 8:59 am

gamefreak wrote:
doordoctor wrote:
gamefreak wrote:

Its probaly American Online. AOL is known for being a malicious POS. May i suggest DSL internet. [More Expensive but well worth it.] AVG an Avast are also very good virus tools you won`t have a problem with.

thanks anyway, i already know what killed it, vgaurd.dll is a process that is part of mcafee antivirus products, it was my goof too because i had no idea of the other free antivirals at the time (avg, avast, and others) aol is ok on a machine as long as its got enough (well i had BARELY enough RAM and hdd space for it, plus no firewall so yea was not just ao-heck that caused its problems) i use aol explorer(the first aol branded stand alone browser that uses IE) on the laptop i have now(win xp) and NO PROBLEMS found

my isp is no longer aol full service, i use verizon broadband fios. i did have dsl and about every day i was either on phone with tech support or resetting the modem or waiting it out beause weather does effect copper lines (dsl)

if i did in any event go back to aol, it would be to the free service being it dont have any special aol dialler adapter to slow u down or tech support and have to talk to mumbai, pune or manila phillippines, thair tech support is just as bad as verizon dsl's but fio's i got was americans that knew something about computers

dsl on verizon and dialup on aol i got asians that either didnt understand or didnt know a thing about computers.

gamefreak, got to point that all the techs do for verizon is try to help out with modem and just sit back and watch when they sit there watching me set it up with networking(that did in fact happen last time) when a modem was replaced because the power adapter shorted it. tech comes in with the modem in hand, starts to set it up, then gets the wonder were things go, i take over he gets his laptop from his truck(a panasonic toughbook) opens it then starts to try to get into modem, fails 2 times so then i told him let me try, i get in then hes looking around for connections and ip ping and release no ping/release setting found so then after he leaves i then emailed him (yea i got his email address before he left) and emailed him that its done from the customer's computer not from modem. i still to this date hadnt heard from him and i emailed him back in sept.

TheZach
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2007, 12:27 am

Mine never freazes on me

XP with a pentium III and 512MB RAM. I just dont bloatware my computer.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.thezach.net/blog">My Blog</a>

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

22 Nov 2007, 9:43 am

TheAPERSON wrote:
Mine freezes every day, so I'm not exactly happy about it.

Ditto.

When I have too many programs open at once it freezes. Which is everyday because I am always doing many things online.

Eudevie
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2007, 10:00 pm

I rarely have a complete system freeze. I can run Photoshop, Winamp, Firefox, Trillian, and Poser 7 all at once...
Core 2 [email protected], 1.8 GHz, 1 gig RAM, and a ATI RadeonX1650 Pro 512 MB graphics card.
Windows XP Pro.

With all the things I cant explain