Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 3:37 pm

lau wrote:
TheAPERSON wrote:
My computer doesn't seem to be freezing as much now.

Have you got any idea what changed?

Is it that it caught you badly a couple of times, but now that your watching it, it isn't happening as often as you thought? (Watched kettle never boils.) :)

I think it's because our broadband is settled in more now.

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2008, 4:12 pm

Ummm... mine never freezes. It only gets rebooted once a month when patches are applied (unless an emergency patch is released).

It doesn't matter what OS you use; if you treat it right and follow common sense it will work.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 4:45 am

Our computer does need a reboot occasionally, but I would like to get a new computer with a more up to date OS (I'm still on ME) and wireless broadband so I can play my DS and Wii online.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 2:29 pm

Very rarely, but my computer is rather old (2003).

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 6:23 am

I've realised the solution. The scanner and the Broadband were affecting the computer so when my parents unplugged the Xerox scanner, the computer stopped freezing so much.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:34 am

ok, when my desktop runs windows, (at the moment constantly), it never locks up, lappy on the other hand locks up when I move it sometimes, no matter what OS is running (possibly some underlying issue with hardware after my ex spilled fizzy pop into it and I had to strip it down to dry it out) otherwise it's fine

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 12:03 am

Sometimes it freezes, sometimes it doesn't.

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 10:14 am

(I feel like crap because I have a cold so I'm a little bit sarcastic here)

Gee, I don't actually remember when I had to reboot my Amiga 4000....

But anyway, if your computer starts to lock up and behave like something the cat dragged in, take a quick look inside of it, and check the capaciators closest to the CPU. If they look bulged or have a brownish leakage under them you need to replace them, or, if you wait long enough, buy a new motherboard because of the damage the electrolytic fluids does to your multilayered motherboard etching away the copper....

It's nothing for the faint-hearted and not a good way to start your soldering career though...

Avenger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2008, 10:35 am

Neither of mine dare crash on me. I built my desktop in 2004; at the time, it had absolutely the most top of the line components available, so it still holds up very nicely four years later. My notebook is from last year and roughly equal in capability to the desktop that I built. Both run Vista Ultimate and both perform flawlessly. And I run some pretty computation-intensive software on each (compilers, simulations, renderers, Matlab applications, and of course Team Fortress 2). On occasion a bad web page or something will stall my computer, but the Task Manager always successfully clears the error.

The key is regular preventive maintenance (virus checks, defragmentation, sensible approach to program installation and file storage), and basic common sense.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Jan 2008, 4:05 pm

mine freezes every 30 minutes to an hour. its got windows 98 and 500mhz with 128mb of ram. it sucks. it hardly works with my wirless card

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jan 2008, 8:39 pm

My PC has never frozen so far and I'm using Vista it's more stable than XP.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 9:02 pm

Mine would freeze very often once I got and was using thge latest verion of Windows Explorer on XP, so I went back to an earlier version and now it hardly ever freezes.

My theory is that MS would like us to get so sick of our current operating system that we feel the need to upgrade to Vista.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 7:39 am

Can we save the operating system discussions for the XP or Vista thread?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 3:17 pm

TheAPERSON wrote:
Can we save the operating system discussions for the XP or Vista thread?

Erm. No.

The point here, I would imagine, is to see how freezes relate to the hardware, OS and applications people run.

I use old hardware (vintage 1998 mobo), Ubuntu/Compiz and more applications than most people.

I can't remember when I last had any sort of freeze. A few hours after installing it, I chose to action a minor upgrade the Linux kernel. That means I did restart my machine 18 days ago, which made my Apache server unavailable for three minutes. Other than that sort of thing and some power cuts, the machine has been in continuous operation for three and a half months.

Occasionally, my browser and the composite display manager have a falling out (I'm not sure why). That just means I have to restart the one that lost. That's not a freeze, though. Just one application having a bad hair day.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jan 2008, 3:38 pm

I had this one PC that I bought around 1998 and now it's in my brothers room and the Voodoo 3 3000 graphics card died just the other day. :cry:

I guess with them not being has powerful back then the parts were under less stress and lasted longer.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 4:43 pm

Shadowbound wrote:
I had this one PC that I bought around 1998 and now it's in my brothers room and the Voodoo 3 3000 graphics card died just the other day. :cry:

I think you'll find the the Voodoo cards were always a bit flaky. You may have been one of the lucky ones, having had it last this long. I fairly recently upgraded from a GeForce2 to a GeForce4 (which I got for free). I haven't yet decided whether there was any point.

Shadowbound wrote:
I guess with them not being has powerful back then the parts were under less stress and lasted longer.

Consider ENIAC. MTBF for everything has gone down over the years - except for MS OSes. :)