Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 2:00 pm

I'll nevr forget a line from a TV show from a doctor to a grateful patient whos life he had just saved.

" Youve suffered, and so understand suffering. Therefore it becomes your obligation to ease the suffering of others and never to cause it."

We AS people have suffered.

Ther are those who are less able physically or mentally to deal with the world.

When I was employed at a local community center I got to help people who needed understanding.

They say we AS people lack EMPATHY but not SYMPATHY.

Children are naive and confused. physically and mentally handicapped people need some one to step outside thier own heads and sympathise . They dont want pity they want understanding. Kind of sounds familiar doesnt it?

And that was the job I was not fired from and held the longest. I did not get along well with the management or other workers, but because I was SO into the "customers" (and good at it) I was given more slack.

Nobody knew the real reason I worked there. It was THERAPY.

As ever please PM me or comment if you have something to share or a question.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 2:46 pm

Your story is important. I'm starting a group at my son's college for adult spectrum people and their parents and others who have something to say get together and talk about what we all can do to enhance AS lives. Real stuff, not just more support groups.

One of the thing I'm going to bring up is I'm thinking that if AS people were free to be their weird selves they would be so good as care givers for a lot of people.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 9:36 pm

I have a caring instinct, but it's directed more towards my pets and other animals than towards people. However, I think that by helping animals I also help the people who love them. A cat or dog could be ideal therapy for an autistic/AS child or lonely older person, or any age in between. I know animals helped me.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 9:46 pm

9CatMom wrote:
I have a caring instinct, but it's directed more towards my pets and other animals than towards people. However, I think that by helping animals I also help the people who love them. A cat or dog could be ideal therapy for an autistic/AS child or lonely older person, or any age in between. I know animals helped me.

That reminds me of the horse people who thoroughly enjoy watching their horses give rides to the autistic people, their care givers, teachers and parents. When we hired the stable to give rides, they weren't sure, at first because they'd never been around autistic people before but by the end, everyone was happy and the stables gave us discounts every year after that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 10:49 pm

I've felt more alive, since I've gotten Chico, four years ago.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 11:20 pm

An older lady down the street knocked on my door and asked me to take her to the doctor because she wasnt feeling well enough to drive herself. Id n ever met her before.

Turns out we had the same doctor. I took her stayed with her and after I brought her home I sat for a couple of hours drink Coca Cola talking.

She had mild dementia and I have mild autism. Neither one of us could tell you what we were talking about but we enjoyed each others company. No pressures.