Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:28 pm

ssenkrad wrote:
Agreed that autism and AS have a resilient set of stereotypes attached to them by NTs. Here are a few stereotypes I've run across over the 7 years that I've been diagnosed with AS.

- All people with AS are inseparable from computers.
- All people with AS are sedentary, and never exercise.
- All people with AS must live with their parents, since they can't support themselves.
- All people with AS are incapable of producing healthy offspring.
- All people with AS are passive in the face of conflict - not aggressive.
- All people with AS are proud of it.
- All people with AS would not do well in a 'dog-eat-dog' business model.
- All people with AS are incapable of showing true love.
- All people with AS have severely low self esteem.

None of those are true except for one Being proud of being an NT. Some would say that I am not considering that I am trying hard to be a an NT.

as for as being passive in the face of conflict, I can be in many gray areas but if I know they are doing wrong then I will hit on their ass, I don't care if they have a gun.

As for having a healthy offspring it would be more riskier if I date another aspie or egg head. If I date a pikey there shouldn't be any risk as they don't often have any intellectuals in there bloodline.

busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2007, 2:52 pm

He is young and undereducated in the field. You can't blame him. Hopefully he'll be one of those people who will continue to learn.

Every type of person is sterotyped until more is learned about them. Now the person must be willing to do so.

A350XWB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2007, 3:01 pm

I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I don't fit in all the following :D

All people with ASD are asexual (I am, but most aren't!)

I regard women in my life as being tools to make each other better. This is why I want to date a "proper girl", which will be able to help me through hardships.

People with ASD have no emotions.

I feel some emotions towards my family (though it's most likely directed to any of my grand-parents still alive). I can be cold when I only want to do something with someone because it will benefit either end of the relationship and no emotional gain can be taken.

People with ASD are incapable of any kind of human relationship.

I can prove that one wrong.

All people with ASD are profoundly impaired by their condition.

I am not so profoundly impaired not to be able to attend college and still have a modicum of success in it.

People with ASD are animal lovers.

I don't want animals to get too close to me - from a reasonable distance I have no objection to approach one.

Autism is a moral failure that results from severe selfishness.

I do not regard autism as a moral failure;

We are all good at math.

It's honestly the only one I fit in.

All people with AS have severely low self esteem.

Only when something goes awry. Especially when I horribly failed a math test (35%) and, since then, I wanted to date a girl which was better at math than I was. (Probably for her math skill alone but it is certainly the first thing that would come to mind even if there was something else to it).