Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Do you find you often Lecture people on things?
Yes, in fact let me tell you about... 64%  64%  [ 14 ]
People tell me I do but I don't notice. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Sometimes but not often 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
No. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2007, 11:07 pm

By lecturing I mean wanting to tell someone everything you know about a topic of interest (not necessarilly the obsesive ones but anything you have an opinion on or know anything about at all). I ask this question because I am in the mood to do just that except I am alone and will without a doubt be talking to and lecturing myself (I've learned to be satisfied with that because often time even if someone is around they don't want to listen even my parents :cry: )

I imagine this is an aspie trait but it's something I dislike because rarely do you ever find someone who actually needs the knowledge you are so full of, but oh when they do... *sigh*. Recently, my uncle actually needed advice on aquarium fish *girlish squeal of delight* I can not describe to you how it feels to talk to some one who actually appreciates what you are telling them...

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 11:33 pm

I love talking about the things I'm interested in. I wish others did too...

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2007, 12:29 am

Let me squeal with you because I will do that same!

In fact, I notice that when something <I think> Is interesting that happend to pop into my head because I saw something or heard something that lead to that particular fact. I would just say it and assume that the other person I'm next to at the time found it interesting because I thought it was when I first Heard, seen it!

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2007, 12:32 am

Mirror wrote:
Let me squeal with you because I will do that same!

In fact, I notice that when something <I think> Is interesting that happend to pop into my head because I saw something or heard something that lead to that particular fact. I would just say it and assume that the other person I'm next to at the time found it interesting because I thought it was when I first Heard, seen it!

Exactly! *girly squeal of delight* :lol:

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2007, 12:35 am

Most definitely! This is probably the most visible part of my AS - I will just talk endlessly on whatever topic is my current special interest...

Most people seem interested at first but then start to get tired of it after a while...

Plus add in that most of the time I'm pretty shy/quiet/reserved/etc...

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2007, 12:43 am

wolphin wrote:
Most definitely! This is probably the most visible part of my AS - I will just talk endlessly on whatever topic is my current special interest...

Most people seem interested at first but then start to get tired of it after a while...

Anyone who has met me and listend while I've gone off on a rant don't believe me when I say i'm shy or reserved. Those who see me when I'm shy think I'm blowing them off, being a snobb, and that I donn't like them, when really I'm so preoocupied with whatever I'm doing that I don't notice their efforts to be friendly...

brightlined
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2007, 2:00 am

I used to be a lot worse about it. A girl in my dorm in college pulled me aside one night and pointed out that I had a tendency to tell people "my life's story" if I was ever engaged in conversation. Before that night, I had no idea that I did that. Ever since then, I've tried to hold back - either summarize what I'm talking about or add a break after a few sentences. If they're really interested, usually they'll ask a follow-up question.

The weird thing is two aspies having a "conversation". There are times that my mother and I will have a conversation that will essentially be two different conversations going on at the same time. She'll talk about what she wants to talk about, I'll talk about what I want to talk about - occasionally, the two "conversations" will cross paths (ie, one us will touch on something that interests the other). Sadly, it's another one of those things that I never really noticed until learning about AS.

JasonWilkes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2007, 3:05 am

wolphin wrote:

Eeexxactly. I'm horribly shy in big groups, but if the group is small enough (1 or 2 other people) where I can "lecture", I'm comfortable. I'd like to think that I'm just trying to have meaningful conversations, rather than the superficial type of conversations that are so common in large groups, but I've noticed that it usually just ends up being me "lecturing."

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 3:11 am

Once I get started, its hard for me to stop. Only recently have I learnt what people do when they're not interested.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Dec 2007, 5:51 am

no, not so much anymore cause nobody gives a crap about my current special interest. I dont lecture as far as take over the conversation but I did have a conversation, give and take, with a friend from work about operation desert storm, specifically the oil fires that I obsessed about when I was 7 at the time the event occured, and since I last visited the place I lived during the time of the conflict it brought back these memories and now I am interested in the conflict itself, like before hand, but conversation, and not so much lecture, is not only how you can talk about what you want and have it be acceptible but I select certain people who i think would enjoy talking about what I wanna talk about and so they learn from me and I learn from them.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

14 Dec 2007, 7:00 am

Yes.

In real life, nearly every conversation someone tries to start with me ends with me talking about my current interest.

I like to talk about what I am interested in to others, it's like a release. If I don't, I can feel a build up of wanting to talk about it and I will most likely start talking about it outloud without noticing until someone tells me.

Sometimes, peoples boring and pointless conversations bore me.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2007, 7:19 am

KRIZDA88 wrote:
Anyone who has met me and listend while I've gone off on a rant don't believe me when I say i'm shy or reserved. Those who see me when I'm shy think I'm blowing them off, being a snobb, and that I donn't like them, when really I'm so preoocupied with whatever I'm doing that I don't notice their efforts to be friendly...

Here I think I have the opposite problem - I mean, when I'm quiet, I don't think people especially think anything odd. But when I talk on and on (especially about something complicated or obscure) I sometimes sense that people might think that I'm being an arrogant know-it-all..

Then again, I do have aspergers, so picking up on what other people are thinking is definitely not one of my strong points... :)

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 9:08 am

I can "lecture" on and on about things I'm interested in, usually to the point of boring everyone else. I also have a tendency of going on rants if somebody says something ignorant, stupid, or that violates one of my core principles.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:10 pm

Odin wrote:
I also have a tendency of going on rants if somebody says something ignorant, stupid, or that violates one of my core principles.

I often tell people off for getting technical details wrong.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:16 pm

My boyfriend often gives me a 'look' that kinda warns me when I'm lecturing people. I do it A LOT. Like all the time. I can't help myself.

I know it annoys people but the trouble is, I never realise I'm doing it. I'm lucky that my boyfriend and I pretty much share our group of friends, and he's good at letting me know when I'm doing it without hurting my feelings (I'm pretty sensitive at times). I appreciate him doing it too; it makes it easier for me to understand when I'm starting, and I'm beginning to notice it more myself.

I know people don't understand why I do it, and possibly would if I were to tell them I was an aspie, but that's not gonna happen so they'll have to deal with it haha.

I also know they generally couldn't give two hoots about whatever I'm rambling about - usually one of my interests - and that they think I'm a little odd. Or that I'm showing off and trying to make them feel dumb (never understood that one..?!). Or that I'm up myself.

Bah, I don't care, eff-em.

fabshelly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2007, 2:20 pm

I do, and don't realize it, then realize it afterwards and feel bad.