Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

14 Dec 2007, 2:07 pm

I went to my doctor's appointment yesterday for a follow up and I told my doctor about my menstrual cramps and he gave me all sort of option of what pills I can take or what I can do for sex protection and I picked the injection shots because it effects you getting your periods so that means no more cramps. But when the nurse inserted the needle on my buttock, I flinched because of the poke and it made my body jump and she said it scared her. I asked her "Don't others do it?" and she said they don't. Was this a sensory issue reaction or just a normal reaction that happens to some people? Has this happened to any others too?

Her telling me this doesn't happen to other people really made me wonder if it was an AS/autism thing.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:10 pm

Possibly. I've never had a jab in the butt so I couldn't say, and there's no way in hell I'll go near any hormonal contraceptive after my hellish experience with the pill again, so don't think I'll be comparing any time soon.

I do donate blood every 3 months though and have never had a problem with needles at all. In fact, when I had some wisdom teeth removed a year or so ago the dentist kept warning me that the injection could hurt quite a bit... I honestly didn't even feel it though, painless.

They just don't worry me. Shame I don't vaccinate, perhaps I should swap my tolerance for someone who does vaccinate and has a morbid fear of needles?!

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:21 pm

Most likely, the nurse didn't give the injection exactly as it should have been done...but, she had the general idea. Also, you probably flinched because you were well aware of what was going to happen and your body reacted when it actually did...nothing unusual.