07 Jan 2008, 7:42 pm

Arrr.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 7:45 pm

two words, folks.

'Open Source'

There's no need to pirate stuff. There's plenty of software out there that does much of the same thing the spendy stuff does. Try Sourceforge, NoNags, downloads.com, etc
No MS Office? Try Star office
No Photoshop? try the Gimp
No Poser? Try Daz Studio
No Windows? Try Linux (more flavors than Howard Johnson's tho...;)
and on and on. Some of this stuff is really good, and the Feds won't be doggin' your trail...

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 7:47 pm

A long time ago when everyone was, I did... but that was long before Windows 95... Since then, I've been 100% legit.

I use a lot of alternative and web-based software these days anyway.

The thing is that people work to make the software. If it's good software, it's worth paying for and if it's bad, don't buy it.

Microsoft Pirated Visual BASIC.net off me.

That's to say, I bought the software (well, work did) then I realized that it was a piece of vista - oh, I mean crap - so I've never used it. I simply gave up the VB language as "destroyed by it's creator". So, if they charge me for something that is so useless that I can't use it, that's reverse piracy. I can't even wipe my butt on it because the manuals are too thin.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 7:53 pm

No ones huntin me down over what I've downloaded!

Maybe in Australia they're not at as harsh with enforcement of piracy.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 8:33 pm

Not yet, but they will be eventually.

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 9:00 pm

If I make money from a piece of software, then that money goes towards paying for it (Although sometime when VJing the profits go to charity).

I have sufficient disability to keep me from having a job, so my quality of life is less than a person who works, and has a much larger disposable income (like every single person in those software companies). This is not through any choice of mine.

Also not having a job I have a lot more free time to fill, and for me A.S./A.D.D. is a condition where if I am not occupied I become badly depressed. In the past I've had nervous breakdowns from lack of stimulating activity, and the possibility of the happening again is the biggest fear in my life.

If I had a job and more money I'd pay for all the software I use. I'm not pirating because I don't want to pay, I'm doing it because I can't afford to pay for everything, and if I didn't I wouldn't be able to learn enough to get myself out of the mess my life is. My skills are mostly in computing, and I'm following a career path of game development, as it's been a major interest of mine for over 20 years, interests me enough that ADD doesn't keep me from focusing on projects, and is now available to study at degree level, where I can now get help thanks to being diagnosed a couple of years ago. Very few of the tools for game development are free because games run on commercial systems (in house the companies use things like photoshop, Maya and 3d studio). I pay for practically all my games, £30 being reasonably affordable if I don't spend too much on food. The ones I enjoy and that inspire me I pay for, but not the ones that are of poor quality and won't get played to completion/more than once just for research purposes. Hopefully if I can get a job after my degree I'll have enough money to pay for all the software, but packages that cost something like £300+ are out of my budget at the moment as I'm living entirely on benefits.

I also do a lot of web design, and for that everything that I use short of Flash is open source (and I won't need to use that at all when I learn more actionscript, and can use the freeware compilers). My web server runs OpenBSD, with Apache, PHP and MySQL.

In Hong Kong the police took the view that if a piece of software was being used to learn how to use it, then they wouldn't press charges, but businesses and anyone profiting from it's use had to pay for all their software. Hong Kong has more pirated software available than most other countries, as a lot of it comes from China, and is distributed through Hong Kong to the rest of the world.

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2008, 9:32 pm

I installed Open Office on my sisters computer ( MSO wouldent install on her vista for some reason). Works pretty well as long as she doesnt need to open Office 2007 docs.

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 10:11 pm

Besides, piracy is good for the environment ;)

Corvillus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2008, 2:50 am

I used to pirate software quite heavily when I was on Windows. However, since I switched to Linux a few years ago, I haven't really had any need to given the large amount of high quality high open source software these days.

Media on the other hand, is a whole different story. 8)

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 9:43 am

My policy on piracy is that it's only right in two situations:
1. If I just bought a music CD or something and the shipping takes frigging two weeks and I want to get it early, it's not exactly illegal then is it?
2. If you're unable to get it any other way. Whether it's abandonware or it's illegal to use in general and there's no legal way to get or use it then I make an exception there as well.

And I rarely use Linux because it just honestly doesn't work for me.. I have it on two machines in my house that are a bit older but for my newer machines I use XP SP2 or OS X (I have OS X on three machines however only one is a real mac ;) )

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jan 2008, 1:02 pm

Yes I have done in the past. You see I'm addicted to gaming I mean extremely. When I'm away from my computer for just a few hours I get depressed. So I have to get my fix weather I have the money to buy a game or not.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 1:46 pm

lol most are...

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 3:10 pm

Quote:
2. If you're unable to get it any other way. Whether it's abandonware or it's illegal to use in general and there's no legal way to get or use it then I make an exception there as well.

Yeah, I apply the abandonware policy too.

Quote:
Yes I have done in the past. You see I'm addicted to gaming I mean extremely. When I'm away from my computer for just a few hours I get depressed. So I have to get my fix weather I have the money to buy a game or not.

If you pick up games when they're on special or free ones from the internet, you should have a stockpile ready for those occasions.