Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

deansabean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2008, 8:21 am

...and having the really good hunch that you have Asperger's syndrome is the most... jarring thing I have ever done.

I noticed that being trilingual has helped, and the fact that if something sparks my fancy that I'll end up buried in relevant publications in a corner somewhere reading about what ever it was. And had the recruiter known about the job that I had picked (which would have helped due to the fact that I hate the one I'm in right now) I know that I would have mastered something I like better.

The only thing that has not been pleasent is the fact that I am surrounded by people. And whats even worse, is that if I absolutely must work with people I will, but sometimes I haven't been afforded the luxury of a choice in the matter. Being in the Army has helped me though, I have been forced to interact, and that has helped me a little at times when it comes to being outgoing- one of the traits that makes me wonder if I really qualify as a person with Asperger's is the fact that I am quite friendly.

It's been an interesting year and a half. I had a drill sergeant that didn't know what to make of me, so he called me dumb. I also remember being utterly fascinated by my uniforms- just not the shoes, however, when I lace my shoes or boots, it seems that they MUST be laced in a very particular manner that even makes my peers wonder. I also realized that its been good for me, habits that would carry over later on in life (like being forced to shave every morning etc.) have been instilled in the Army.

Still though... there are 3 things that have driven me to the edge of sanity- and 3 things that have kept some of it intact here:
1. Logic doesn't exist here.
2. PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE HERE!
3. Being able to figure out something that was small and totally irrelevant but none the less complex, but not being able to keep in step when I march (those are examples- its the general concept I wanted to convey)

However- I do like;
1. The fact that there is structure.
2. Everyone here obsesses over small details too- same as mine or not.
3. The fact that if I can endure this job for another 18 1/2 years work will become optional after that!

I'm rambling- I know, anyone else have any thoughts on this topic?

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 11:53 am

The Army was pretty jarring, finding out I may well be aspie was a gulp of fresh air.

When I got drafted it was still considered to be the old Army and it was in the process of becoming what it is now. It's purpose never changed. It was nice when you didn't need a pass to go off base.
Logic? Remember manuals, orders, instructions are meant for the lowest common denominator. In other words, no matter where you tip the IQ scale it can be understood, with no doubt what it means. It is this way because it can save lives and the opposite.
Live off base as soon as you can, living in a big room with 40 other guys isn't healthy. Maybe they did convert it to a pair in one room, I dunno. But having your own place is better still.
When you pick your job, remember, some don't require you to do the marching thing, be in the herd. You'll get this option again when they want you to re-up. The Army is big, really big and there are things to do that get you out of the herd.
Attention to detail. Just make sure when you clean your M-16 you put the cotter key in the bolt from the correct side. Stupid design. And if someone else cleaned it, make doubly sure.
Attention to detail is pretty prevalent. But I never liked scrubbing a latrine drain with a tooth brush.
My head still snaps to the sound of a helicopter, fear response in the pit of my stomach and I hear them long before anyone else. A little left over gift from back then.
Sometimes it is nice to have a leader, not have to make constant decisions, have structure. My wife does it better and she kisses better.
If you get stationed in one spot long enough, check out a local college. They pay attention to those that are continuing to better themselves and with rank comes money and with money comes more freedom and more choices.
18 and a half years is a long time active. I didn't mind the 4 years and 5 months inactive but the 1 year 7 months and 19 days active, felt like a freakin life time.

Good luck. Walk fast and always carry a tool in your hand, no when will mess with you. They'll think you have work to do and will go the other way. :twisted:

sonny1471
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2008, 12:16 pm

I did four years in the Army long before I knew anything about Aspergers. I had a really hard time adapting at first during basic training. I just couldn't get used to all of the people and constantly having to interact as if I knew these people very well.

Once out of basic training and AIT, I settled into a general routine and didn't have much of a problem at all. I did get made fun of a bit because of some of my weird interests and my general introspective nature but it wasn't too bad.

The good thing about being in the military was the routine (once it stabilized) and it gave me a lot of discipline for later in life.

Good luck!

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 5:57 pm

I would never consider any aspect of the armed forces. Whilst there may be routine there - control is impossible unless you are an officer. It is also possible to go overboard on the control factor (and there's a great example of this on a particular blog that I won't name - hehe) even in post military life.

I've seen it first hand from a civilian stand point when I worked for the Defence Department here in Australia for six months. My need for control clashed with theirs, and they refused to negotiate and ended up concocting an untrue situation which gave a senior medical officer no choice but to rule me unfit for employment.

It's up to you of course, Deansabean, but be careful. It may be just what you need, but it could also wreck you completely.

deansabean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2008, 6:02 pm

Oh no- I have ended up a total wreck at times.
Its just nice to know that there is a name for what seems to cause me so much trouble- and to think that other people have the same thing.
Im passive enough that ill go with the flow, but at the same time there are times that i cant even force myself to go with the flow, and thats always troubling.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 6:03 pm

Interesting comments. My friend with Asperger's (or HFA) just joined the Army after what could only be called a complete mental breakdown. I think he's still in infantry training in Ft. Benning.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 10:30 pm

You didn't mention your MOS, but if you have a chance I'd suggest Intel. It's a field that Aspie traits can shine in. Or or you are mechanically inclined, there's a wide range of things to do. I volunteered after college intending to do my 20++ and look for a "cushion income" with a defense contractor afterwards. I was steering for Intel and after my OCS entrance exam I think I could have gotten it (I missed one question and made a light colonel drool....). I also answered a question honestly in the physical, because they threatened us with all sorts of dire fates if we didn't, and I always followed the friggin regs back then... I had a stomach ulcer when I was 13. Stress, mostly, and had recurring stomach problems afterwards. I had no idea that saying "Yes" when asked if I'd ever had an ulcer was going to get me ruled permanently physically unfit. I asked for a waiver, and got shot down in flames. I still regret it to this day. The military can be rough for an Aspie, but the structure and fairly rigid social rules, at least between ranks, can also make things easier. It's nice, sometimes to have a rulebook. 8)

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2008, 3:44 am

TLPG wrote:
I would never consider any aspect of the armed forces. Whilst there may be routine there - control is impossible unless you are an officer. It is also possible to go overboard on the control factor (and there's a great example of this on a particular blog that I won't name - hehe) even in post military life.

I've seen it first hand from a civilian stand point when I worked for the Defence Department here in Australia for six months. My need for control clashed with theirs, and they refused to negotiate and ended up concocting an untrue situation which gave a senior medical officer no choice but to rule me unfit for employment.

It's up to you of course, Deansabean, but be careful. It may be just what you need, but it could also wreck you completely.

I actually agree with you and the potential of control (ie other's enforcing their will on you and authority over you vs self control). So you had me there and I watched as the rest of your post kinda fell to pieces...............sigh!

That board would not have been Philsworld wiki site or it's asdhating blogsite and other off-shoots would it that you were alluding to? If so I agree.

Did you accept the Medical Officer's attempt at shutting you up or did you find other employment elsewhere without letting them control you, your life or your actions? If you did not go on the job market soon after I know the answer.

Oh way to inspire Dean too. Dean I think you are probably able to understand your condition and its impact on your life in repect to your life in the armed forces.