Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 5:37 pm

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in music...

Anyway my basic question is does the device or speaker a headphone is plugged into limit the headphones potential? For instance if I have a million dollar headphones connected to a .01 cent speaker is it going to sound like the .01 cent speaker or the million dollar headphones? I assume the signal still goes through the wiring of the device to get to headphone. So, does the quality of the device matter?

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

25 Jan 2008, 5:45 pm

To my knowledge, no, it doesn't matter. The signal is not going through the substandard projection device; the speaker is basically being used as a conduit (think of an extension cord, but more complicated). The quality of the sound would depend on the quality of the source. I could be wrong, though.

edit: The quality of the wires inside the speaker unit will make a difference, if that is what you are asking.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 5:52 pm

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If at any point the signal passes through something that distorts the signal, the sound coming from the headphones will be distorted.

Different speaker systems are made differently, so it really depends on how the speakers are wired.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 6:15 pm

That answers my question. Thanks guys.