Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jan 2008, 7:24 pm

I like to use computers and never had owned a new computer until I thought my old one died. I was trying to fix a win98 computer (my newest until now) and had Hard Disk problems. I tried new cables and even replaced the motherboard. It still wouldn't work. so I tried new hard drives and they failed too. I worked for months and just recently after buying a new laptop to replace my crappy old desktop found out I had the adapter upside down. I'm happy I made the mistake though or I'd be using a win98 machine now instead of the not quite so crappy, but pretty close Windows Vista.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 7:32 pm

Hahaha, congrats on the upgrade :D

I've heard that the Vista voice recognition software is really good - have you tried it yet? (I still have XP)

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 11:01 pm

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 7:12 am

Quote:
I've heard that the Vista voice recognition software is really good - have you tried it yet? (I still have XP)

You don't need to downgrade to vista for voice recognition.

I've been using Dragon very successfully for years - it's fantastic.

Before that it was IBM VoiceType which was awful and used to type gibberish whenever the dog barked.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 8:34 am

gbollard wrote:
Quote:

I have heard that Dragon's great now, but the reason that I mentioned Vista is that I didn't want to spend more $$$. I tried Dragon about 6 years ago (for a lot of money!), and no amount of training could get it to work properly. Over half of what I dictated was transliterated into gibberish, so I gave up on it. I speak very clearly, and chose the American option, by the way, so it wasn't a dialectical problem.

One thing was pretty amusing, and worth the price of admission - my daughter's name is Ariela, and no matter how much I 'trained' it, it would always write 'are you yellow' :)

Thanks for the tip, though - which version are you using? I'd be willing to try it again if they have improved it.

(Sorry, nodice1996 - we seem to have hijacked the thread :oops: )

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 3:53 pm

6 years is a long time in voice recognition - I'm on version 9.5.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 4:14 pm

Thanks - I might give it a try again!

eddiedog8
Veteran
Veteran

Location: not in my house not in my street not in my shool but in my own world

02 Feb 2008, 4:27 am

gbollard wrote:
Quote:

You don't need to downgrade to vista for voice recognition.

Before that it was IBM VoiceType which was awful and used to type gibberish whenever the dog barked.

i want i bm voice type now!