Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 12:32 am

I always had this preconceived notion that it meant "not being able to talk"; mute/dumb.

I learned to speak, read, etc, fairly early in life (1-3 yrs), but I never employed these skills to have meaningful conversations and I recall going out in public and tugging on my moms coat to have her order food for me because I was unable to talk to the cashier. My parents even told me that I was fairly quite as a child around family friends, and even at school I would never speak unless spoken to. I still to these days rely on family members to speak for me on certain occassions.

Would this classify me as non-verbal? I'm just having trouble understanding this concept--which should be easy to comprehend.

frields
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2008, 12:48 am

EXCELLENT QUESTION!

There is involuntary non-verbal.

There is voluntary non-verbal.

Voluntary -- I've heard of some people taking a vow of silence, and others deciding to be mute. All for various reasons. Some to fake it. Some for another therapeutic reason.

Involuntary -- Simply cannot talk. Some may improve to some extents.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 12:57 am

frields wrote:
EXCELLENT QUESTION!

Voluntary -- I've heard of some people taking a vow of silence, and others deciding to be mute. All for various reasons. Some to fake it. Some for another therapeutic reason.

I can be both depending on how I feel or the situation.

There are times where I just decide not to talk. I stay in my room and do not leave, or I will simply ignore someone.

Then there are days where I cannot talk, the words just do not come out of me. I say them in my head but nothing leaves my mouth.

frields
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2008, 1:14 am

oscuria wrote:
frields wrote:
EXCELLENT QUESTION!

There are times where I just decide not to talk. I stay in my room and do not leave, or I will simply ignore someone.

Then there are days where I cannot talk, the words just do not come out of me. I say them in my head but nothing leaves my mouth.

Incredible.

When you are unable to talk, is it frustrating?

Do other things improve when you're able to talk?

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 1:31 am

frields wrote:
oscuria wrote:
frields wrote:
EXCELLENT QUESTION!

Incredible.

When you are unable to talk, is it frustrating?

Do other things improve when you're able to talk?

Ofcourse it is frustrating. Imagine a geyser or a volcano ready to erupt, but nothing comes out of it yet you know it "needs" or "wants" to. I've the words in my head but I just can't quite say them. It can be that I find it futile to say them or something very much tied to my anxiety. Even if I want something I won't always verbalize it.

I'm not sure how much it would improve a situation. I've never quite thought of that. I just say to myself "Well, it wasn't meant to be" and I just move on.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 1:40 am

Actually nonverbal can mean many things. I thought it meant no words spoken at all. I work with nonverbal kids at the childrens hospital im always at, one little boy who only makes loud screeches, or squeals, one severe boy who said a couple words, one little girl who said some sentences, like go bye bye now, or outside bike, usually incomplete sentences but sentences. For the little girl she would refer to outside as always going on the bike or banana always meant spongebob, because spongebob was yellow. I loved hanging with her, I would help her with her signing as much as i could, I even got her to speak some words and sing along with me, i loved it.

Nonverbal usually means can't engage in one and one conversation or even have a conversation, a lot of nonverbals do echolila to talk.

I was nonverbal growing up, didnt start speaking in correct full sentences until i was 8. I still have moments where my brain totally shuts down, can't get a word out at all, just weird noises, i rely on sign or the guessing game which always doesnt turn out well.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 1:55 am

Age1600 wrote:
Actually nonverbal can mean many things. I thought it meant no words spoken at all. I work with nonverbal kids at the childrens hospital im always at, one little boy who only makes loud screeches, or squeals, one severe boy who said a couple words, one little girl who said some sentences, like go bye bye now, or outside bike, usually incomplete sentences but sentences. For the little girl she would refer to outside as always going on the bike or banana always meant spongebob, because spongebob was yellow. I loved hanging with her, I would help her with her signing as much as i could, I even got her to speak some words and sing along with me, i loved it.

Nonverbal usually means can't engage in one and one conversation or even have a conversation, a lot of nonverbals do echolila to talk.

I was nonverbal growing up, didnt start speaking in correct full sentences until i was 8. I still have moments where my brain totally shuts down, can't get a word out at all, just weird noises, i rely on sign or the guessing game which always doesnt turn out well.

Well, I've always been able to express myself in writing. I would surprise teachers with my essays and what not.

When it came to speaking to people I either didn't know what to say or didn't have anything to say. I would just look at my mom like "Help!" I would speak very low, barely audible. "Oh, he's just shy" was the typical excuse. I never accepted the shy part because I never felt shy, I just couldn't say things, like there was a delay in processing.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 2:13 am

oscuria wrote:
Age1600 wrote:

Well, I've always been able to express myself in writing. I would surprise teachers with my essays and what not.

When it came to speaking to people I either didn't know what to say or didn't have anything to say. I would just look at my mom like "Help!" I would speak very low, barely audible. "Oh, he's just shy" was the typical excuse. I never accepted the shy part because I never felt shy, I just couldn't say things, like there was a delay in processing.

Yea im the same way, writing im good at, typing extremely good at, type without even lookin at the keyboard, signing good at, anything verbal i defintely fail out. Nothing wrong with it though, some of the best writers in the world have problems getting what they want to say across through speech so they put their thoughts in books and become very successful. Dont give up hope!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 2:47 am

I've heard it used to mean:

* unable to use speech or any other language
* unable to use speech at all
* unable to use speech for standard communicative purposes

I alternate between those. (I used to also have at some speech that I could use to mean things I said, but that's all but gone by now. It had been hard to gain and was easy to lose when I started experiencing more stress and pressure.) I sometimes slip up and call myself non-verbal, but I usually go for non-speaking instead because it seems more specific -- "verbal" can just mean "language", and I am using language when I am typing, as well as using (receptive) language when I read or listen to other people's language.

The amount of distress any such difficulty causes depends on what I'm trying to do at that moment. If I'm not actively trying to do something, then it causes me no stress not to be able to do it. It causes me a lot of stress if I really want to do something and can't, or can't well enough to actually get it done. But if I'm not doing something and not thinking about doing something, I'm not going to be worried about whether I'm able to do that particular thing or not.

Zamone
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2008, 3:05 am

Age1600 wrote:

This is what my older brother does. He can't speak, but will often repeat words that my mother repeats a few times. He never uses speech as a form of communication though.
Ear-piercing squeals mean he's happy/cheeky/excited though. Everything else is a guessing game.