Page 1 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 2:22 pm

According to some new-age theorists and psychics, "indigo children" represent the new wave of human developement. They say these people usually have a higher sense of emotion, higher sense of empathey and intuition, sense of spirituality, sense of insatiable (sic) curiosity, and so on. I've read places that many people labeled as ADD or Asperger may really be indigo. They say that aspies have a lack of empathy, but that's not true. Narcissists lack empathy. Aspies (depending on the aspie) care about other genuinely. They may just have a hard time applying their emotions to the exact social situation. For instance, an aspie may say something to you that you find hurtful even though the aspie didn't mean it to be hurtful. When the aspie realizes he hurt your feelings, he may feel truly sorry. A narcissist doesn't really give a s**t whether or not he hurts you. Anyway, here are some articles on "indigo children". Tell me what you think.

http://www.indigochild.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

http://www.starchild.co.za/what.html

http://skepdic.com/indigo.html

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 2:39 pm

Sometimes I get the feeling that this thing is made up by parents who feel bad about the label on their children and want to label them in a way they think is more positive.

I think parents should not apply another label on their kids, but first really look a their kids and realise their positive points, their strengths and unique talents. Aspies like appreciation, not a hazy story.

Last edited by Asterisp on 21 Feb 2008, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 2:41 pm

Next step in evolution? Psychic abilities?

I'm a little skeptic. Some of the traits listed could very well be, as quoted in the wiki article:

Quote:
According to psychiatric expert Russell Barkley, the New Age movement has yet to produce empirical evidence of the existence of Indigo children and the 17 traits most commonly attributed to them were so vague they could describe "most of the people most of the time" and put him in mind of the Forer effect. Barkley also expressed concern that labeling a disruptive child an "indigo" may delay proper diagnosis and treatment that may help the child.[9][10] Other have advised that many of the traits of indigo children could be more prosaically interpreted as simple arrogance and selfish individualism, which parents with New Age beliefs see as being something that they are not.[11]

Maybe parents not wanting to see their children for what they are?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Feb 2008, 2:47 pm

i once went to a hippy therapist and she said i was :)

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 4:22 pm

richardbenson wrote:

A psychic once said i was too. A little over a year ago i got one of those aura photos taken of me and my aura was a bluish purple. It could just be coincidene that i was told i was an indigo a year after that photo was taken. I'm a little skeptical myself, but i feel it holds some truth as well. I believe there is a sixth sense. The sixth sense is the sense of empathy/intuition. After all, empathy and intuition is another way to sense. People who are "psychic" really are just people who have a great sixth sense.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Feb 2008, 10:17 am

I see the indigo children and crystal children constructs as "new agey" silliness. For instance:

Quote:
Some Indigos are natural healers and seem to be naturally attuned to Reiki energy. Some children who have autism and those with Asperger's Syndrome are also Indigo Children and it is thought that with spiritual counseling and various energy therapies such as Reiki, Shamballa, and EMF Balancing, among others, that these children may come out of their shells.

"Indigo Children are named for the predominant auric color of indigo (an ink-like dark blue with a touch of red). The color indigo represents the third eye chakra, the energy center of psychic activity, which is believed to be wide open on most Indigos. Indigos experience a thinner "veil" or separation between the earth and the spirit worlds, and they are able to access information many cannot. Most of the behaviors of Indigos are explainable by this aspect of a thinner veil.

http://metagifted.org/topics/metagifted ... ldren.html

To me, it makes no sense to attribute teleology (purpose) to neurology.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

monty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 2:11 pm

On the road to Shambala
Yah-yah-yah-yah-yah!

Thanks, Nominalist! Your quote woke up an ear-worm!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:15 pm

Don't it make my green eyes (Indigo) blue topic

This psychic ability sounds like theory of mind, or that we instinctively know what another is thinking or feeling. I find this an odd trait to be ascribed to those living on the Autism Spectrum.

There are some people who are extraordinarily empathic, considerate and kind. This sounds more like Mother Theresa, just about as saintly as any human could get.

It must be very uncomfortable to be so sensitive, and I do not think this is Aspie.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

monty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:26 pm

Mother Teresa was not so empathetic - her primary goal was to convert people to the Roman Church, not to alleviate suffering.

koolguy18
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2008, 12:39 am

the label "indigo" child is nonesense. Child act this way as a result of modern western society's values. Can these childern supposely be found in the third world in equal numbers? No, since they have to woory about eating that day, or surviving war zones. Only child with all their worldly desires given to them, and a overheighted feeling of their value to the world, can "worry" about empathy and feelings in this pure new-age nonesensical way. this is all just a modern twist to religion in my opinion. Also, the label gives childern and their parents a reason to believe they are "special" in a good way(which they usually are not).

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 10:17 am

It's new-age BS. It is completely ludicrous and unbacked by both evidence and logic.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 1:18 pm

It's New Age BS with no basis in reality. It's probably marketed to narcissistic parents that want to think their spoiled brats are perfect angels and can do no wrong.

PsychonautChaos
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2008, 2:30 pm

This belief first came by from a couple which claimed they channeled " spirits". (Either of ascended masters or by aliens). Even though a substatial amount of time has passed since introducing this concept it still remains popular today. Even various spin offs have amerged such as:
Crystal Children- children who have all the benefits of being an indigo child (alleged psychic abilities, predisposition for occult work, empathy) without the side effects (antisocial behavior caused by an overactive empathy (if you feel other peoples pain you generally don't want to socialize to much), neurosis and other dysfunctions. I believe this was introduced by Doreen Virtue which is famous for "channeling angels" and "chakra clensing".

There's even a special school for indigo children in which "they can train their psychic powers without any repression".
Sort of like x-men, just combined with actual schooling.

I personally always have a maybe attitude towards everything. I personally don't have any beliefs about anything. (At least try to)

I'm just pointing observations.

The thing I noticed is that New age therapists will classify any developmental disorder as a case of being an "indigo child", because that's the only label they for a 'different child'. They will do that even if the child doesn't exhibit any of the positive characterics exhibited to indigo children.

Even though the actual new age theory doesn't state this some new age writters actually attribute a "savior like" characteristic towards indigo children saying things like:
"There are special children in our world, indigo children which communicate thelepathically with us sending us messages of love, speaking the language of love. "

Source:
Easiest Way- Mabel Katz

(Oh yeah I might as well tell you the ***** secret. Each time you notice a problem simply say "i love you" to you. That's it, the whole book simply advocates this "magic message". (Actually she stole it from :
This book
Zero limits- joe vitale ( I can't post urls, just type it in amazon if you want to look at it)

(Ok Katz doesn't say you have to say I love you she modified the method claiming you can use any word, if it's used with intention. Your car broke down? Say i love you ten times and boom. The goodness will happen)

There are many people who will advocate and attack this concept I just provide the facts without judging them. I had a prolonged obsession with new-age therapy books to cure some of the chronic pains I had so I read a LOT of those.
(Witness the power of a obsessive kid.

Even though such people claim that obsessing about your goals always leads to failure source - Joe Vitale "beyond manifesting".
) ( I personally observed the opposite, but everyone can have his own theory.)

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 2:31 pm

Actually, those who are AS should have about an average level of basic empathy for others. It is merely the ability to understand expressions of it in which we tend to be found wanting. Otherwise, I have not detected an unusually high level of empathy, overall, in those affected with AS. However, there is one fellow I know, one whom I have long suspected of being HFA, who seems to have an almost feminine level of empathy, and he's often been told so by others apparently. That is, I knew him over text for months with the impression that he was a slightly eccentric, young woman, in spite of him having a gender unapparent alias. He is unusual in more ways than one, though, and his actual diagnostic label is schizotypal personality disorder with mild dysthemia.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 9:12 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

A psychic once said i was too. A little over a year ago i got one of those aura photos taken of me and my aura was a bluish purple. It could just be coincidene that i was told i was an indigo a year after that photo was taken. I'm a little skeptical myself, but i feel it holds some truth as well. I believe there is a sixth sense. The sixth sense is the sense of empathy/intuition. After all, empathy and intuition is another way to sense. People who are "psychic" really are just people who have a great sixth sense.

If indigo and empathy go hand in hand...well, then that label might not fit me. :D Which is a good thing, because I would be offended...you hear? Offended! 8O

Seriously now, I think people's "sixth sense" is just another way of labeling obscure thought processes, nothing else. Sometimes I just know the answer to something, it just pops in, but I attribute it to the part of my brain that works incognito. Sixth sense.

I keep most of these thoughts to myself though. Some are downright strange and laugh-worthy. :roll:

I used to believe in the paranormal as a child. Reason took it's toll sometime around 9.

Sometimes I still do believe in the paranormal, though. :oops:

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Feb 2008, 11:48 pm

No, it can't be. Indigo is not my color. I look better in brown or green. :-)

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute