Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 12:42 pm

I tried to do the wife-mother thing, to make dinner and have my husband and kids sit at the table for "quality time" during dinner together but it seemed like so much effort for little return. We all realized that we don't like that ritual and we didn't need it to communicate better.

I felt guilty about it for awhile because I was trying to have a normal family but that's as hard as nailing jelly to a tree. There are more important things to do in supporting family members than making them all sit down together for dinner,

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2008, 12:55 pm

It's taken a long time for my husband to figure out that my son and I don't fit into that "normal" family thing. We don't get off on hanging out over food every night and certainly get enough quality time without this strange ritual.

He craves "normalacy". We don't know how to do it. It causes problems sometimes, but we always figure it out.

Whivit
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2008, 1:07 pm

I suggest you try doing it once a week. My family does it that way, and it's definitely more special; sort of something to look forward to. Also, don't stress yourself about the food or conversations or anything--the food doesn't have to be 'great', you know? Kids aren't food critiques. You're all family, eating together is just eating together, like hanging out with friend.

Now that I think about it, it's probably easier for me since I've been doing it ever since I was born (shabbat, jewish thing). Hmn. But, I suggest you try it once a week anyhow. ^^;

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 2:43 pm

My family only eat togehter for our sunday lunch.. makes it more special.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 2:47 pm

yeah same, although i'm not that comofortable eating infront of people but I can make exceptions

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 4:00 pm

I think for families where the members have really different hobbies and interests or jobs, meal time can provide a common ground. My family ate dinner together, in assigned spots and all the conventions. But that was because I was in my room, brother was in his room, dad was doing something outside and Mom wanted to cook for us. So, that brought us together and we talked. After dinner, we went off our separate ways.
Now with my own husband and son, food doesn't bring us together. We are always doing other things together and we don't have schedules that would make family dinners practical. We spend our free time playing video games, doing homework, going to coffee.

We also like very different foods and it would be too hard to prepare for us at the same time.

Also, back with my folks, some of us had eating disorders and meals were very stressful. My dad overeats, my mom "diets" and 'tries new things" and I had serious eating problems (with smells, textures, tastes). So, it could be a whole power struggle to eat what mom made.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

09 Mar 2008, 4:02 pm

angelgirl1224 wrote:
My family only eat togehter for our sunday lunch.. makes it more special.

My family gets together on Sundays as well...but for dinner.
I don't usually go every Sunday. Normally just once a month. I don't really enjoy it.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 4:33 pm

I have family dinners now n again but most of da time i eat on me own but its a lot more comfortable 4 me.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 5:13 pm

OregonBecky wrote:
I tried to do the wife-mother thing, to make dinner and have my husband and kids sit at the table for "quality time" during dinner together but it seemed like so much effort for little return. We all realized that we don't like that ritual and we didn't need it to communicate better.

I felt guilty about it for awhile because I was trying to have a normal family but that's as hard as nailing jelly to a tree. There are more important things to do in supporting family members than making them all sit down together for dinner,

Don't feel guilty about this. They can be horrible!

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 5:20 pm

My family doesn't really eat dinner at the table. We don't really have a conventional dinner table.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 5:47 pm

Except for holidays, I don't think I've ever had a family dinner. If I do eat dinner (typically fast food), it's either in the car, in my room, or at the counter. My mom typically eats after me since she has to take care of the dogs. And when she does eat it, it's on the couch in the great room.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 9:21 pm

I don't think I could ever eat a family for dinner, that's preposterous. Maybe one baby and the arm of a son or daughter, but after that I'd be stuffed for sure.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 10:04 pm

Quote:
I don't think I could ever eat a family for dinner, that's preposterous. Maybe one baby and the arm of a son or daughter, but after that I'd be stuffed for sure.

:shameonyou: :lmao:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 10:50 pm

We have a family tea every night in our house. I am probably its strongest defender as I insist on it. We each eat proper food and talk to each other. Down with processed, packaged gloop and not sitting down with family.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 10:53 pm

I like eating with my mom and her boyfriend, it's nice to talk about whether the meal's good or anything interesting happening in the day. We don't have it all the time, so it's a nice treat to spend that time with my family :D

UtukXul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2008, 12:17 am

Yes.. Forcing it on your family is really a bad idea. If everyone chooses to eat at the same time for whatever the reason, then thats good. If not, then thats good too. A families closeness has nothing to do with their eating habits. Families who think otherwise are more than likely dysfunctional in the first place.