Were you ever afraid of getting rid of stuff?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:45 am

I would save or keep everything as a kid. Even if I never used it or looked at it I liked to assimilate every part of me, everything that comes into contact with me, rather than throw it away or lock it up or render it useless. ALL energy was to be used. I knew that I would eventually use all of it. Whether in a minute or in 5 centuries. I would need or want it all eventually, right down to the last scrap of paper and half-sucked lollipop that I found gross and used styrofoam cup and detached bracelet bead and the last penny and old key from another apartment and collection of empty glass bottles and notebooks from grade 3. Some of it I also became emotionally attached to in the "It's so cute, it's so sweet, it reminds me of this special moment" way.

Some of this is from my grandmother who hated throwing out food and would torture me forcing me to eat when I was full but I think I was born with the desire to have every part of me used and understood and acknowledged.

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:51 am

There are things that I definitely don't want to get rid of.

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 1:16 am

Not so much a FEAR of it, as I just don't like to throw things away- I always like to find someone else who wants it, OR keep it under the strange assumption I actually think to use it later on....

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Mar 2008, 1:50 am

I have tons of stuff in boxes that I don't use, whole bedroom full in fact, and think I'm going to need it for something someday, and a hundred "Projects" going at once and I never finish any of them it seems like. When I do break down and get rid of something, I donate it all. That way I feel it at least has a chance of being recycled.
I haven't decided if its because i"m a "pack-rat" of if I have issues w/ "loss" (I'v lost EVERYTHING numerous times, so it could be that.)

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 2:19 am

I'm DEFINITELY a pack rat...

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2008, 4:33 am

I used to be the same when I was younger. I hoarded /everything/. I've got better recently though. Now I have to be strict with myself and get rid of everything I don't need/use. University's helped with that a lot. XD

I like displaying everything I have rather than packing it away though. My room had stuff all over the place, the walls and shelves were covered in stuff. I was really happy with how it was, and really disappointed when I had to take it apart to go to uni.

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Mar 2008, 11:37 am

I mostly keep boxes things coming because I always think I will need to put the stuff back into it or the box is big and useful. But i dont collect much else.

roboticalien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2008, 4:12 pm

I have special attachments to objects too. When I was young it was worse.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 5:13 am

Yes, I'm afraid of getting rid of stuff. I can control it a little better by now. I have an urge to make all matter, all energy, every structure, mine.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 5:21 am

Flakey and i both have problems getting rid of stuff....all the while accumulating more stuff...

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 5:56 am

Yeah when I was young I NEVER liked my mum throwing stuff away and wanted to keep everything.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 7:57 am

Sort of.

My mom always wants me to go through my binders and get rid of all the schoolwork I don't need anymore. The problem is that I normally end up getting rid of something I actually need.

So I guess while it is a fear, it's a well-founded one.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 8:05 am

I am a bit of a compulsive hoarder, though not as bad as my stepfather.

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2008, 9:22 am

I think my parents are still finding some of my old caches of old school notes, cutouts of my favourite tv characters from cereal boxes, and other clutter from when I was a kid.

I dislike getting rid of things, except when I get in "one of those moods" and then you have to be careful you don't throw out something you really want, cause you just want to get rid of everything.

I have to admit, there's that little nagging voice everytime I throw/donate something "What if you end up needing it?" or, for just plain garbage, "What if you accidently threw something important out?" Usually able to ignore the second one, but it's always there.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 1:03 pm

I still have a can of corned beef from the 70's in my cabinet. I tried to throw it away once, and my husband wanted to keep it....(also aspie).

I cant throw jars and coffee cans away. I use them as cannisters in my cupboard for flour and you name it. I keep boxes much the same way.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 6:13 am

Oh yes, I am a horrible hoarder! And believe me - when we moved from a three bedroom place to a two bedroom recently it came home to roost well and truly!

I'm trying to get rid of stuff, but it isn't easy!