Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 8:27 am

Does anyone ever experience this?

I just had what I think was an episode this morning. Freaked the hell out of me. I'm still freaked out. Most of the studies I read said that people stop feeling the fear after they wake up fully, but I was wondering if it might be different for aspies or something, since we're usually more sensitive.

Anyway, just interested in anyone else's experiences with this.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2008, 9:19 am

I have. For me it didn't go away right after I woke up, but lingered (I don't think I went back to sleep). It faded throughout the day, but I recall feeling it more again (in a much milder form) as it was time for bed.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Mar 2008, 9:50 am

More than I like to think about. :(

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 10:14 am

I don't experience these personally but I've heard ppl talk about how terrifying they can be. They say it's also a contributor to those who claim they were abducted by UFOs. This is not a joke BTW.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 10:26 am

We studied this in Psychology the other week. Night terrors are usually just seen in children but in some cases can extend into adulthood. Like lastcrazyhorn, I now wonder if AS may have different effects on this.

Interesting. :chin:

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 10:28 am

I used to regularly experience sleep paralysis, which I think is like the opposite of night terrors. Sleep paralysis involves lucid dreaming where your eyes open and part of your brain is awake. It's a horrible feeling. I would get this dreams where people were trying to smother me or restrain me and I would scream and nothing came out. They happen when your deep sleep is interupted. The worst period was when my husband would go to work early in the morning and it would wake me up out of my deep sleep. I'd fall back to sleep when he left and get the bad dreams/paralysis.
For those of us who believe in spirits and bad energy, we also see this as a sort of twilight time when your spirit came come out of your body and be harassed by other spirits.

My husband gets the night terrors and my son did briefly as a toddler. They are some sort of nightmare that you don't remember but it wakes you up terrified. My husband thought it was due to PTSD but my son experienced them without having the same issues. I've since heard (anecdotally) that night terrors is common in very young autistic children.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 10:33 am

KimJ wrote:
I used to regularly experience sleep paralysis, which I think is like the opposite of night terrors. Sleep paralysis involves lucid dreaming where your eyes open and part of your brain is awake. It's a horrible feeling. I would get this dreams where people were trying to smother me or restrain me and I would scream and nothing came out. They happen when your deep sleep is interupted. The worst period was when my husband would go to work early in the morning and it would wake me up out of my deep sleep. I'd fall back to sleep when he left and get the bad dreams/paralysis.
For those of us who believe in spirits and bad energy, we also see this as a sort of twilight time when your spirit came come out of your body and be harassed by other spirits.

My husband gets the night terrors and my son did briefly as a toddler. They are some sort of nightmare that you don't remember but it wakes you up terrified. My husband thought it was due to PTSD but my son experienced them without having the same issues. I've since heard (anecdotally) that night terrors is common in very young autistic children.

Then mine was definitely sleep paralysis. Although, I wonder if it's possible to have some combination of the two.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 10:38 am

i don't think it's an aspie thing for it to linger.

i taught myself to wake up from nightmares as a kid. i had them almost every night. the side effect was, though, that i'd wake up and see bugs all over the room. this turned into seeing spiders. and now i have arachnophobia. :-p

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2008, 10:42 am

I used to have night terrors as a kid, but I don't anymore. I still have sleep paralysis though.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 11:00 am

For me it lingered because it takes a while for the adrenaline to wear out. I would read a book to take my mind off the symptoms until my body calmed down and I could go back to sleep.
Haven't had a single episode since menopause.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 11:16 am

I frequently have sleep paralysis. Occasionally, I have night terrors as well.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 11:58 am

Rarely. Basically my body is just in stupor, I feel weight on my that prevents me from moving, but I have no hallucinations whatsoever. I wait it out, trying to relax my muscles to get them working. It was only scaring the first time it happened when I didn't know that there was an explanation to it.
I never had night terrors, I have next to no nightmares though/I don't perceive horrifying dreams as fear evoking.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2008, 11:59 am

I had a couple episodes of sleep paralysis a few years ago when I was experimenting with out-of-body-experiences. It was scary, but also kind of cool. Haven't had any since.

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2008, 12:20 pm

I get SP a lot but I don't always get the fear associated. Odd. I actually had a sort of pleasent episode recently.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 12:30 pm

RampionRampage wrote:

i taught myself to wake up from nightmares as a kid. i had them almost every night. the side effect was, though, that i'd wake up and see bugs all over the room. this turned into seeing spiders. and now i have arachnophobia. :-p

I get sleep paralysis often and it terrifies me. I hate not being able to move. Usually the most I can do is make these weird mmmm mmmm!! ! noises. My eyes are always open which is good....i'd probably die of fright if i had to be blind during these things as well. I usually stare a the clock trying to will myself to move. It lasted over an hour one night. Luckily my sister started crying and "woke me up". One the rare occasion that I can get myself out of it(make myself jerk)I see bug all over the room for a minute. No idea why...

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 2:24 pm

blackcat wrote:
RampionRampage wrote:

I get sleep paralysis often and it terrifies me. I hate not being able to move. Usually the most I can do is make these weird mmmm mmmm!! ! noises. My eyes are always open which is good....i'd probably die of fright if i had to be blind during these things as well. I usually stare a the clock trying to will myself to move. It lasted over an hour one night. Luckily my sister started crying and "woke me up". One the rare occasion that I can get myself out of it(make myself jerk)I see bug all over the room for a minute. No idea why...

if you're still partially in a sleep state, the fear kind of feeds itself. as an adult, every once in awhile i'll still wake up and 'see' a spider even though i have horrible vision in light without correction, let alond darkness. sometimes this logic makes me catch it. other times, my boyfriend (who hates spiders slightly less than i do) spends a bleary and sleepy-panicked ten minutes making sure the unlikely invader wasn't real.
especially since several spiders got in a few months ago and saw fit to chill on my half of the room, and wave to me in my face, at eye level. 8O