Went to two movies in-a-row today, and other odd events...

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 12:03 am

Band's Visit
Website --->TheBand'sVisit
Band's Visit is about an Egyptian Police Band that travels to Israel to perform, except they wind up in the wrong place.
There are several individual stories going on within the movie as well as some cultural stories happening on different levels.

I liked this movie. I especially liked the subtle things that passed in the film... like the photo in the restaurant of an Israeli tank which I figure had to do with the war between Israel and Egypt.

I also like the part in the roller rink where one band member is giving tips to an Israeli guy on how to cheer up his date.

In Bruges
[url]http://www.filminfocus.com/focus-movies/in-bruges/movie-splash.php/]In Bruges[/url]

It was not what I expected from reading about it beforehand.
I still liked it.
There is not as much depth to the characters as I usually like in a story... some hints about their personalities, but lots of superficial things going on.

I had about a half hour between movies so I went shopping at the COOP for dish soap, shampoo, peanut butter and chocolate.

I wound up with a slight stomach ache that is just now disappearing... maybe what I had to eat at the theater (haven't eaten anything else but a bowl of cold cereal today)... medium lemonade, a pretty good sized bag of plain M&M's, and the peanutbutter-filled chocolate bar I ate between movies.

One girl at the theatre asked me why I was wearing a skirt.
I had my Mountain Kilt on (which is just a wrap skirt sold by Mountain Gear, made by Mountain Hardware... I think they use the term 'Kilt' rather loosely here and just so they can make it seem more 'masculine' so guys would buy it).
She asked rather politely, which was really nice, so we had a discussion along with her Assist. Manager, about...

The fragile notion of Masculinity
Men wearing skirts in America and out in the rest of the world
Chaco sandals (which I was also wearing)

I am happy I actually got out of the house today and treated myself to this afternoon's events.... a nice Easter for me. :D

Here's a view of the Mountain Kilt.
It's actually quite comfortble.. as are all my skirts (kilts, sarongs, etc.). :D
ImageImage