Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 1:46 am

general anxiety or social anxiety..........is it possible to just do so many things so outrageous that you no longer feel nervous?????

like if you are nervous in class can you literally raise your hand and speak enough times to get rid of the feeling so the next time you raise your hand you wont feel nervous?

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 2:03 am

lightening020 wrote:
general anxiety or social anxiety..........is it possible to just do so many things so outrageous that you no longer feel nervous?????

like if you are nervous in class can you literally raise your hand and speak enough times to get rid of the feeling so the next time you raise your hand you wont feel nervous?

Practice makes perfect. And you'd be surprised, how the things you hold back may be accepted. But then again, you'd also be surprised at the looks you'd get at expressing something you felt completely natural and normal.

No one is the same, no one is perfect. So f**k them, say and do whatever you want...just realize big brother is watching you though -.-

mirandao
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2008, 2:14 am

I think it's possible to desensitize yourself a bit. If you do it often enough maybe the things that once bothered you won't be so intense when you confront them. I've done it and it's worked for the most part; you just can't be too discouraged when things go wrong because they will now and then. Just make a plan about what you'll do, I plan a lot of things that I do and I find it helps me overcome the worries about the unknown.

childofwoodstock
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2008, 2:23 am

I have found that the best medication for generalized anxiety is medical marijuana. (Not necessarily recommended for situation specific anxiety.) A sativa strain doesn't make me all logey and tired the way Xanax and Klonopin do. But do NOT use any edibles. Those make you feel drunk. But it's important to know that you should really titrate up very slowly and spend a lot of time getting used to the heightened awareness that it brings you. Of course, I'm only suggesting this as an option to check out with a doctor if you live in one of the states in which it's legal.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 2:28 am

childofwoodstock wrote:
I have found that the best medication for anxiety is medical marijuana. A sativa strain doesn't make me all logey and tired the way Xanax and Klonopin do. But do NOT use any edibles. Those make you feel drunk. But it's important to know that you should really titrate up very slowly and spend a lot of time getting used to the heightened awareness that it brings you. Of course, I'm only suggesting this as an option to check out with a doctor if you live in one of the states in which it's legal.

So umm, how does one go abouts getting a prescription of ganja for said anxiety? Not that I'm just tired of paying for it, it really does help, and in more than one way. I worry less, and eat more...and since I've dropped 40lbs(not in the good way) since I started smoking cigarettes, and can't seem to even worry about eating due to stress...I'd really like to know.

childofwoodstock
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2008, 2:36 am

It's best to find a doctor who specializes in evaluations and recommendations for medical marijuana. There are usually ads in the local alternative paper; the LA Weekly here in Los Angeles. Or you might try the NORML website.

If you get a Sativa strain of cannabis, it does not make you hungry or tired. It increases focus and concentration. Scripps Institute says it may be better at staving off Alzheimer's than the prescription pharmaceuticals currently on the market. Indica strains make you tired and perhaps hungry.

And the latest study from UCLA, which followed more than 2,000 people for 30 years, could not find a link between cannabis and lung cancer.

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 2:59 am

marijuana.........???? nooooooooooooooooo i definitly would not agree with that...............marijuana in general (doesnt matter what strain...nerds) makes me more nervous in the first place.........

i have way more anxiety in public on MJ

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 3:04 am

lightening020 wrote:
marijuana.........???? nooooooooooooooooo i definitly would not agree with that...............marijuana in general (doesnt matter what strain...nerds) makes me more nervous in the first place.........

These "nerds" know their bud, and if you did, you would know not all strains give that feeling of anxiety/paranoia. Do not knock the bud!! It's misunderstanding that has given it a bad name. Weed is good, mmkay? :lol:

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 6:32 am

I had anxiety asking questions or saying hi to people. I convinced myself that it was stupid and irrational. That kind of cured a part of it.

I still cant do public speeches. I would have to convince myself that I am speaking to a bunch of apes, at which point I'd realize "I'm speaking to a bunch of apes" and walk off. :?

Jonesy
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2008, 9:13 am

I think you definitely can desensitize yourself, but it's a rough process. I'm working as an English conversation instructor in Japan, and it's still hard after a year. Especially with new students, I kind of panic. But compared to my speech classes in high school and college, I'm cool as a cucumber.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 9:47 am

lightening020 wrote:

those who can't handle marijuana should not use it.

Merle

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 10:49 am

not everyone can handle marijuana, and it does not matter what strain.

Marijuana of any kind is a nightmare me.

I hate to say it, but I take xanax sometimes...barring that...i take blue lotus tincture in a cup of wine...

i know i should practice deep breathing and meditation, but I have never been very good at initiating it.

Melly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2008, 11:52 am

lightening020 wrote:

I have a multiple part answer... but I would say it's possible to cure anxiety rather than kill it. I will never be a public speaker-- my sympathetic nervous system kicks in no matter how much I tell it to chill. But I've been helped quite a bit with cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). It doesn't have to be hard-- like, my therapist cured my phone anxiety (I used to panic whenever my phone rang, and wouldn't answer if I didn't know who it was and why they were calling!) by walking me through the logic of what callers could reasonably expect. Now I'm comfortable saying "let me think that over and get back to you" instead of feeling like an idiot if I couldn't answer any question instantaneously and decisively.

CBT also helped with social anxiety somewhat-- kind of talking through the "what are you afraid will happen" and "how would the worst possible outcome be worse than where you are now?" For me the answer was pretty much "I have no friends now, I couldn't have FEWER friends, why not just say something?" I also get really anxious when people ask me to do stuff... I've trained myself to say "sure, when?" instead of "what time? where? who with? when will it be over?" etc. etc.

I take antidepressants and have an ativan prescription for more extreme moments of anxiety. I'm pretty proud that I haven't had to use them in quite a while. I'm getting much better at talking myself down and not obsessing about details (and not imagining that my social life could get LESS dire...)

As for talking in class... my therapist would say "do you think less of other people when they have a question or make a point you don't agree with?" As long as no one is openly mocked, and no one throws stuff at people who ask stupid questions, and the teacher is not some kind of rude moron, nothing bad will happen, and you will become more comfortable. (sure, I mentally mock people who ask stupid questions, but I don't actually hold it against them and I would never say anything to them... and often I'm grateful to them for getting clarification that I might have needed.)

Good luck!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 1:03 pm

I want to kill the people who encouraged me to have anxiety by teaching me to be humble and modest and making me feel like I was arrogant and demanding.

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Mar 2008, 1:13 pm

I've found that the more I talk, the more I want to talk. I'm a creature of habit. General anxiety, however. . .well, when you find a cure, let me know.

childofwoodstock
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2008, 2:12 pm

Marijuana can make people more anxious or paranoid. There's a reason for that and it can often be resolved. I'm late for an appointment and can't explain now. However, I will make a posting tonight addressing that issue.