Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

aspie28
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Oct 2005, 6:12 pm

I work for a small company that ships out steam cleaners and fabric steamers. I don't really have an "official" title but basically I'm in charge of coordinating truckload shipments and individual shipments to customers. I've been working there for about 6 months and really feel comfortable there. Every shipping document and label must be 100% correct or there can be problems. So I can really focus and zone in on what I'm doing while keeping track of which shipments go when in my mind. So far I haven't made any "big" mistakes and they are amazed at my performance. I was wondering if I should tell a select few of the "higher-ups" that I've been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. The biggest reason is because I really like the way they do business and treat other employees and customers. I want them to know about me. I do not want a change in attitude towards me or even a change in evaluation. It's more that I think they should know my strengths and weaknesses in a more detailed way. Let me know your thoughts...

Jeremy

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 6:20 pm

Thats really a personal decision. I can say there have been positive and negatives. The reason I disclosed when I was hired at my current job was I was unemployed for a year and really desperate and in a bad place. I would be working with people with disabilities and I thought it would be to my advantage to disclose I had AS. If I had not disclosed I also probably would have been fired. I have to take a week off about every 3 months. This always is a RIGHT NOW situation & if they didnt know like I said would have been fired.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 7:13 pm

Quote:
It's more that I think they should know my strengths and weaknesses in a more detailed way.

Then it makes more sense to tell them your specific strenghts and your specific weaknesses.

Unless there is a need for accomidations, like joku_muko mentioned, I don't see a need to give them a name. I see no upside but do see a downside.

BeeBee

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 8:36 pm

If things are going well I would not risk messing that up. Telling them will only complicate matters, and unless you are seeking some special consideration it is probably not a good idea.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 10:52 pm

If your incarnation of AS is not causing difficulties at your job, I would not tell your employers about it.

I would not want to risk the potential of discrimination especially when it sounds like you're doing a great job.

Mark
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2005, 2:56 pm

BeeBee wrote:
Then it makes more sense to tell them your specific strengths and your specific weaknesses.

A good employer should do this for themselves, otherwise they are not making best use of their staff.

If you think you have a strength that can be used, tell them about it and try to make use of it (but don't get obsessed with trying to get them to pay attention and actually listen to you - not all employers are that smart, and they may get annoyed if you keep pushing the same ideas at them when they are not interested).

Do not tell anyone if you have a specific weakness unless it is either causing problems or is likely to, perhaps because of a change in what you do. I warn people I'm going to be working closely with not be to be offended if I'm too blunt, to tell me clearly if they think I've said something wrong, and to always be open and explicit when they want something from me. This has been surprisingly helpful, but that may only be because this works well with the kind of people I work with...

mathogre
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2005, 3:41 pm

I think it's pretty much unanimous. Unless there's some business reason to disclose, don't. They like you, you're doing well. Congratulations!! !! Disclosure won't help.

aspie28
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2005, 5:57 pm

Thanks for all your input. I decided not to tell them anything about it, unless they ask.