Page 15 of 15 [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

tbam
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2008, 6:24 pm

Zonder wrote:
Test taking, the second area, rarely went well for me in school, particularly standardized tests. I was always told I was smart, but that smartness wasn't reflected in my mediocre test performance. A couple of years ago I did an experiment on myself by taking several internet intelligence tests over the course of a couple of days. If I wasn't feeling any stress while taking a test I did very well. But on tests that had the restriction of a time limit, I began to worry that I wouldn't have time to finish, my emotional "fear" state went into overdrive, and the emotional stress actually shut down my ability to comprehend what I was reading. I was shocked that I literally couldn't understand simple phrases. But I also began to understand that emotional stress blocked my verbal / reading comprehension. Maybe this is a similar mechanism that blocks what others here have mentioned:

That is me to a very distinct T. I would read the question over and over for almost 5 minutes before attempting an answer, every time I read it i became more stressed. Then mid-writing I would have to go back and re-read the question to make sure I was doing it right, or to see if I missed anything.

A lot of this topic rang a lot of clarity in me. Especially Daniel's post about not realising something until some time after the occurrance. This is one of my biggest problems, and why I try and avoid confrontation on all levels. I just don't get things up front, its like I can't think fast enough to keep up. If i get in a verbal fight, i'm useless, the other person will talk circles around me, because I simply can't react quickly enough.
If something goes wrong on my phone bill or I get bad service and I attempt to complain, as soon as the other person begins resisting my complaint I hit a brick wall, say "ok" and hang up. Then later will realise "Hey, wait a second, I did this, and they did this so I can't be wrong" Then I'll call them up again with this brand new point, and they will throw up something else and its back to "oh....ok....but...what about.oh...ok bye". Wheras someone normally would go "NO, that's not ok, I want to speak to a manager".
Its not until after the event has happened I can rationalise the situation, put things into perspective and have a KILLER and I mean KILLER point, but the moment's gone usually and its too late.

I say despite some of the drivel in this topic, it be made a sticky. Perhaps it could be edited somewhat. There is a lot of REALLY useful unformation in here.

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2008, 12:16 am

Pithlet wrote:
nomadic28 wrote:
The_Cucumber wrote:
I almost obsessivly plan conversations that may or may not occur.

I do this too.

Same here.

That is how I spend the majority of my day...planning interactions and reactions, to the most bizarre and off-the-wall stuff you could ever come up with. Things which have a 1:millions chance of happening. Rather stressful.