Luke was....
Entirely justified in crying about Obi Wan getting taken down 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Being a whinny b***h 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

smalls
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2008, 10:59 pm

I was hanging out with my rugby team, and I saw Star Wars was on the TV. It was the part when they're all getting away from the Death Star, and Luke sees Obi Wan getting taken down by Vader. Then, in like the five minutes afterwards when Luke was just being all sad and moppy, I thought of something: The whole thing, where they're flying around and on the death star, that all happens in like an afternoon. Why the hell was Luke so depressed, he barely knew that guy? I mean, how emotionally attached can you get to just some guy you randomly walked into in the desert in an afternoon? There is nothing that justifies Luke being that whinny about it.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 11:06 pm

he knew Obi, he was like his bro', lived in the same 'hood.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

12 Apr 2008, 12:44 am

Yeah, Obi-wan was Luke's mentor, and in fact Obi actually watched over Luke, which is why Obi-wan hid there in the first place. Obi manages to teach Luke the utter basics of the Force and helps motivate him to join the Rebellion.

And who can't resist forming an attachment to a kind old man like that?

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Aranittara
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2008, 6:16 am

The trip took at least a day and possibly as much as 72 hours

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 6:30 am

Ben was also Lukes final contact to his home and family. When someone loses someone else(his aunt and uncle), they can bond fairly quickly to people. Danger can also have this effect, and the bond can be profound and long lasting.

For example, look at how Leia and Han argued. And yet they associate for enough years that their bond overcomes the inherit squabbling between them; they eventually marry.