Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2008, 1:41 pm

GTA 4 is out this thuesday, whats your opinion? GTA vice city was fun, me thinks.

vulcan80
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2008, 2:30 pm

It's gonna be awesome! :D

JimmyJazz

28 Apr 2008, 3:19 pm

Some copies have leaked out in the past week or two, and I've seen some pretty good video of alleged gameplay. It looks great overall, and the online modes should be amazing.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 3:35 pm

I'll be getting mine tonight... err, early morning actually.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 3:44 pm

...and there was much rejoicing.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 7:50 pm

I've been hyped for this game for the past 2 weeks or so, during which I finished San Andreas 100% for the first time (I've already done GTA3 and VC 100% before) and am playing classic GTA2 again. I'll definitely be picking this one up between tomorrow and the weekend.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:30 pm

No doubt that it will re-open the stupid debate that video games cause violence. Jack Thompson is gonna have a field day with this one. (wonder if that dude is gonna make another hot coffee hack for this one?)

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 9:09 am

Jack Thompson has some vendetta with Rockstar Games. I have no love for Rockstar games myself (I find most of their stuff, including the gta series, tasteless), but Jack Thompson takes it WAAAAAAY too far. I consider him, and anyone who supports him (like Hillary Clinton) to be against my very lifestyle...

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 9:54 am

Well I went to a midnight release and got it now. Can't say the midnight release was all that...

Anyway, the game seems pretty nice so far. These are my comments so far.
First big noticeable thing I'd say it the revamped physics. The physics are a lot more realistic than in the PS2 games. Can be a good or bad thing depending on the player. It just something that will take getting used to. It also makes for some nifty crashes.

Police and even pedestrians are much more aggressive. Most peds aren't going to be afraid to take you on if you piss them off. (I pick a fight with one dude and strangely enough, two other peds come up start attacking me also) Police are a bit more picky now, but with the new system of getting out of their range, or resisting arrest, it feels fair.
Drivers will hit you if you block traffic.

Can't stand on cars and let them drive you around anymore. :( (Do this on a police car and they will try to bust you)

Dialog can sometimes change if re-doing a mission.

Haven't done much with the gunfighting yet, only one mission so can't really say much about it right now.

You can call the police/paramedics/fire dept. I've gotten police to bust aggressive peds. Supposedly the paramedics will heal you but I haven't actually figured out to get them to do it though.

Doesn't seem to be any random pickups around anymore. Heath, guns, armor... I guess you have to get those things through contacts now.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing... It's really suggested you play this on something with HD. I initially used it on my friends TV which did 1080i, but even with that it was quite hard to read the messages on the cell phone. I can play it in 720p at home which hopefully will be much better.

black_legion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 7:26 am

i dont really understand they hype because the gta games are so repetetive etc

NeverMore8123

30 Apr 2008, 10:38 am

I watched my roommate play it for about 4 hours it was amazing looking, and the attention to detail was on an entirely new plane that GTA games have never seen before, I mean you can pick up soda cans and throw them at random bystanders now that's fun :)

After about 4 hours of playing he started getting some weird loading glitches where the scenery wouldn't show up until after the player was already standing in it. Then he got a message saying the disc was unreadable and now his x box won't play any discs, needless to say he's pissed

I don't think it ha anything to do with the game, it's probably due to the fact that he overworks his system, but o cruel irony, his x box breaking the day gta 4 comes out....ouch 8O

"My boy that's all I make, which is why I'm such a lonely man."

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2008, 7:37 pm

Can't wait for it to come out on the PC. Looks like it's going to be the best game ever.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 2:52 am

Now that it's out and reviewed, my interest in the game is waning. I heard that it's really nothing more than a graphical update of the GTA3/VC/SA versions, with no real new things outside of the graphics. Since I didn't really care much for those, I don't think I'll be going out of my way to get it. If it comes cheap on Steam I'll get it.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:51 am

until I get GTA 4 I hate everone who gets it. *goes and grumbles in corner because of the unfairness of the world*

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 1:04 pm

I have been hearing a lot about frozen games on both consoles. It's only happened to me a couple times so far, not a big deal. First time, Nico got stuck by sliding down a ladder and going right through the concrete below :lol: Yet these kinds of glitches were common in the PS2 games also. Other time it got frozen was during multiplayer, which I think is the one people are complaining about more.
Every now and then multiplayer gets glitchy when too much is happening at one time... and strangley enough causes cars and players to teleport around.
Aside from some glitches, there are still some pop-ups. Interior pop-ups are really quick and minor. Outside I usually notice grass popping up suddenly in sidewalks. 8O
But probably the biggest complaint going around right now is the inconsistent availability of online multiplayer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think the problem is just that the online servers can't handle the traffic at the moment.

Still a few kinks that have to be ironed out so maybe a update patch will come along.

I've been playing multiplayer for the past day and it is fun. Good thing to go for if you get a bored with the main game.
Some moments so far...

Camping on top of the construction crane in downtown for the player with the Annihilator copter. I'm pretty I surprised him when I started shooting an RPG at him. Didn't quite nail him with it but finished him with an assault rifle. It was satisfying kill. (and on a side note, helicopters can be shot down now, thank god. The damn things were always next to bullet proof in the PS2 games)

Had a camper inside the hospital. Kills anybody who tried to approach him with an assault rifle. Yeah, I died a couple times trying to reach him... then I wised up and just got an RPG and blew up the end of the hall he was camping in.

When I get bored of random gunfights... I start chasing players around with the knife like a maniac. Just to see how many kills I can get by knife fighting other players. (Also if somebody spawns right next to me, I stab away at them immediately. I've gotten several kills just by surprising people like this)

My PSN id is dz003c if anyone wants to add me... or just keep a look out for me. I don't have a mic right now so no voice chat. It's something I'm considering for the future.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 1:39 pm

Sweet, sweet game. Don't believe anything you here about this being a more of the same sequel. The updated graphics are nice, but this is the biggest revamp of the game play that GTA has seen since 3 came out. The game feels harder, which I think is good. It's not quite so easy to get a massive wanted level and battle the cops for hours, they use cover and massed firepower now. The attention to detail is amazing, there are so many little things to notice. All that, and the game is truly funny, I've laughed more while playing it than while watching many "comedy" movies. All in all, I'd recommend it to anyone with even a mild interest in video games.