What'd you do if you see an NT verbally abusing an Aspie?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What'd you do if you see an NT verbally abusing an Aspie?
Physically abuse the NT 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Verbally abuse the NT 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
Give the NT a dirty look 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Call the cops 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Walk away 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Nothing 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Something else (specify) 30%  30%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 40

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 8:46 pm

What would you do?

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2008, 8:48 pm

You mean if they were wearing signs that identified one as NT and one as AS? I guess I'd switch the signs. That'd be pretty funny.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 9:21 pm

ev8 wrote:
You mean if they were wearing signs that identified one as NT and one as AS? I guess I'd switch the signs. That'd be pretty funny.

no, assuming you know the NT is an NT and the aspie an aspie.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 9:43 pm

I'd need to know more about the situation. Setting, circumstances, relationship between the two individuals (as well as my relationship to them), previous history, etc. Sorry I can't give you a simple answer.

I can tell you that I would definitely not either physically or verbally abuse the NT, or call the cops. I also probably wouldn't simply give the NT a dirty look. Depending on the situation, I might or might not say anything at the moment. I also might speak to the NT afterward.

VioletClementine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2008, 9:46 pm

I'd walk away.

I mean, why make the Aspie feel like they can't defend themselves? I know if it were me, I wouldn't want someone jumping in to "save me" just because I'm AS.

Sceadufaux
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2008, 10:07 pm

I substitute teach often, and I know a few kids who are eccentric, odd, ect, but smart kids. Dunno if they're aspies or not, doesn't make a difference. But when I see a kid picking on them, I do step in. I talk to them on a person to person basis, like I don't sound all teachery, but more or less "Come on, seriously, that's a stupid thing to make fun of... What would you do if someone said the same to you, seriously, grow up" and they actually tend to listen.

I just try to call to attention WHY they're making fun of that person; chances are, it's a stupid reason anyway.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 10:13 pm

I've never met someone IRL who is aspie, so I really couldn't say...

asperity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 May 2008, 10:22 pm

For better or worse, I would feel I had to tell the NT that he/she should not treat someone that way.
Then I would probably be in for it too. Something like that has happened before.

05 May 2008, 10:31 pm

Ignore it. Since we're capable of being just as mean, why stand up for us. It's a job for the friend.

Yeah I'm evil. :P

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 10:33 pm

I would have called the cops.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 10:38 pm

Throw them out...

(I spend hours watching people abuse one another at work, and most of them have social issues of some sort.)

On the odd occasion that it has been a clear case of disabled vs non-disabled, I make damn sure that they know the man carrying them out of the door is also disabled, and loving every minute...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 12:16 am

I'd call the cops.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 1:17 am

it would depend on whether the aspie looked like they were holding their own or not. If they looked like they needed help, then I would do something; if they were handling it themselves, I'd mind my own business.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 12:21 pm

I would stand and laugh at the NT and stick my tounge out before running rapidly in the opposite direction lol. From a safe distance I would then call the cops.

Alternatively, I would step in between the two and tell the aspie to run to somewhere safe taking the knocking or whatever meself.

bookwormde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2008, 12:50 pm

It would depend on the situation and if it looks like the person was in any distress, (if they looked like they were being amused by the NT’s irrational behavior), I would just “enjoy” it also. For a child I would definitely intervene and try to “educate” the person, this really gets “exciting” if it is a parent. If it is an adult I am likely to walk up and introduce myself (as an aspie) as if the NT is not even there. The NTs are usually so taken aback that that is enough, otherwise I just start to educate them (if they are educatable)

bookwormde

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 1:32 pm

Wait, aren't we talking about *verbal* abuse? I'm confused about why some people say they would call the cops. Why would you call the police because of verbal abuse?