Some people just want to free us from the prison of our mind

Page 3 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 4:39 pm

This looks like its aimed at the other end of the autistic spectrum, I don't feel like I am locked
away in a imaginary prison, and I don't think the majority of Aspies feel this way either.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 5:17 pm

I certainly don't feel locked away. I feel like I'm going places and seeing things.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 10:24 pm

Zwerfbeertje wrote:
There is no such subset, no child, no matter how autistic, has another child locked inside.

How do you know that?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 11:47 pm

Zwerfbeertje wrote:
Can a mother, or father, who views her child in the way pictured, as if autism was a prison that in a magical way somehow holds her real child, really accept her child? And can she, while not accepting her child truly love and care that child.

The image is not about them being upset, but about rejecting their child.

But that is about you being unable to interact with outside you. The image depicts you holding your mum's real child prisoner, keeping it from interacting.

In every Autistic individual, there's an individual personality, just like everyone else's in its uniqueness. Autism keeps this away from the family in many cases, this personality. As the individual develops, they break from this "shell" [in most cases], but then, their parents missed this personality as it would have manifested in their child. Your sentence is subjective; one can love and care for someone, yet still feel sad over the disability that's holding them back, from them, and from their own desires.

That's your view of such; I see sadness at the disability itself, not the child (it's titled "Autism").

My Autism did keep me locked away from my mother; she had it lucky for I showed her affection (some show affection to one person, usually their mother; that was me). My personality was, and is hidden from everyone out there, still; locked away. Autism, which isn't "me", kept, and still keeps me locked away from people; if one can't see how Autism does this, one doesn't understand the inhibitions that Autism places on the inflicted individuals.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 12:16 am

if we dont want to communicate we wont

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 6:35 am

kleodimus wrote:

Severely autistic kids may want to communicate sometimes however (at least basic wants and needs), but may not be able to do so in a way that is effective. For example, there have been times that the kids that I work with are kind of pulling at my hands or making some kind of gesture that I don't understand, and it is clear they want to communicate something, but I have no idea what it is. Or they'll point insistently, but not point at anything in particular (like at the wall). Like they've grasped that pointing is a way to get what they want, but don't realize that they have to point at the desired item.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2008, 9:35 am

kleodimus wrote:

It is not necessarily because of what one wants, you can 'will' something very hard and still be unable to do so.

Danielismyname wrote:
In every Autistic individual, there's an individual personality, just like everyone else's in its uniqueness. Autism keeps this away from the family in many cases, this personality.

The autistic individual is the individual personality, autism does not shield the personality, it is a part of that personality. Autism poses it's own challenges, making it difficult to interact and understand, but that is also a part of the individual, and the people around them.

Quote:
As the individual develops, they break from this "shell" [in most cases], but then, their parents missed this personality as it would have manifested in their child.

I am not sure I can follow the last part of the sentence. Are you saying they had different expectations and that is the personality they missed?

I see no breaking away from shells to reveal some hidden treasure. Children, autistic and non-autistic, grow up, they acquire abilities and skills and they develop their personalities. A personality is not some entity or property that is hidden or exposed or suddenly revealed, it can not be separated from the person, their experiences, their idea's and their perception of the world.

Quote:
... Your sentence is subjective; one can love and care for someone, yet still feel sad over the disability that's holding them back, from them, and from their own desires.

And I am saying that as long as they can accept their child because they believe some other child is hidden somewhere, they can not truly love the child they have in front of them. There is no child imprisoned in an autistic child, what is lost and locked away is their own expectations.

Quote:
Autism, which isn't "me", kept, and still keeps me locked away from people; if one can't see how Autism does this, one doesn't understand the inhibitions that Autism places on the inflicted individuals.

Autism is a part of you and trying separate it from yourself, or some imaginary, hidden (better?) self will not help. You - and me and others on the spectrum in varying degrees - are severely limited in interacting with others, in understanding others and invoking understanding in others, in empathizing with others and invoking empathy from others. That is part of you, has been part of you and will remain a part of you - and everyone on the spectrum.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 9:56 am

I tend to disagree, Zwerfbertie.

I agree more with Daniel.

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 10:17 pm

demoluca wrote:
Quote:
BTW, dumb and mute are the same thing.

If the person doesn't talk then how do you know their dumb?

There is no "dumb".At least not with kids with autism.

Dumb is like stupid teenagers doing meth for fun, it's not a person with cognitive issues and autism trying to make sense of the world.

What the hell?!

"before it's too late" makes us sound like a bomb threat. :?

i agree with this. :)

nomadic28
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2008, 10:43 pm

Dumb = unable to speak. This is its original meaning. It was later bastardized as meaning "stupid".

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 10:58 pm

but if someone had thier vocal cords cut, would that make them stupid?

and what i they could wright?

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2008, 12:48 am

The way I am interpreting this picture is that the autistic child (outside) is dead in a manner. It's indicated to me by him being buried. The child inside is the one that's alive. The whole "time is running out" with the imagery of the legitimate child being trapped by the defective child gives me the impression that the inside child is the way the child would have been w/o autism and could potentially be released/resurrected with the development of a cure. I could be reading this wrong, but it's the only way that makes sense to me. It could be the child inside is the autistic's secret personality (which everyone has) but cannot communicate, but I don't think that's what this is about. The symbolism makes it look like the autistic is lifeless, but potential to be the living child is contingent on finding a cure. Why else have the child buried and say "time is running out"? Time to find a cure?

If my interpretation is anywhere close, it doesn't matter who here can or cannot/should not identify with this possibly LF individual, it's still a harmful message. Actually, the functionality really shouldn't make a difference for messages like this to affect anyone who even identifies with the autism spectrum. Messages like this only show autism as a tragedy, using compelling analogies like "kidnapping" and in this case apparently death. While in many cases autism can be tragic for families, it's still much more important to promote understanding of people on any place on the spectrum. Showing only the gritty side, even making horrible misconceptions about the value or even the sentience of the autistic person does only the opposite. Believe it or not, these stigmas do spill over onto the high functioning end. It also discourages potential hf autistics from seeking a diagnoses when people aroung them say things like "Did you know 1 in 150 children are born autistic?? That's horrible!! Can you imagine having a child and finding out they are autistic? That would be the worst!". The HFA/AS is either not believed by misinformed people, or viewed as a tragedy by them. The potential autistic still has enough reasons to stay in the closet without such a quantity of significantly misinformed attitudes.

I'm not unsympathetic to parents who would obviously want their child to seem more alive to their perception, and communicate with them in a way they can understand, even wanting a cure for their child. But there comes a point when understanding and acceptance of the child outweighs what the parents may desire their child to be. It reminds me of the movie Magnum Opus, where the father in the story is a brilliant musician who identifies with the world through his beloved music. The man has a son, who as an infant is found out to be completely deaf. The father sees this as the worst possible tragedy, never having the ability to share what he loves with his son, never being able to communicate that part of himself with his son or have his son share anything musically with anyone else. But the real tragedy in the story was not that the boy was born deaf, it was the father's complete rejection of his son for most of his young life. Instead of finding any other ways to communicate with his son (not even bothering to learn sign fluently), or learn to identify with what his son loved, the man only focused on what he perceived to be tragic. He mourned, then he moved on as if his son were dead. Of course in the end, everything came together, the father opened his eyes and realized what was right there in front of him the whole time.

Scaring people into viewing autism as only a tragedy, even equivalent to kidnapping or death does the same thing to autistics. It convinces people to reject a living, feeling person and treat them like an empty vessle instead of encouraging them to love that person and search for ways to understand them, mabe with hard work even communicate with them. It wouldn't come naturally, just like a musical father learning to understand a deaf son. It's there, it just has to be searched for in unique ways. That's far more important of a message than "cure it, or be defeated" regardless of your stand on the curing issue.

But that's just my percieved angle on this based on my interpretation, which could very well be wrong.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 1:36 am

Zwerfbeertje,

The current clinical picture is that Autism and personality are completely distinct from one another; the personality determines how one deals with the disorder, nothing else. Some people are happy with not being able to communicate to others, some are very unhappy with such; this depends on one's perception and outlook, which is made by one's personality.

I broke from my shell; I was an unresponsive child to everyone but a few people, and I began to be able to interact with those around me if they interacted with me. This child, me when I was unresponsive, was nothing but a shell that was unable to interact with those around him, me.

Does MS define your personality? Does CIDP define the same? Does CDD do such? In all of these cases, the answer is no, and the answer is the same with Autism.

Have you had direct experience with being trapped in an uncommunicative shell? If someone asks you something, can you answer them and appear to recognize their existence? How can you say the individual within who is like this doesn't wish to interact? This is a prison when it takes away the choices one "should" have compared to the majority, whether someone wants to interact with others or not (this is a part of the personality, what people want to do).

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 2:45 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Zwerfbeertje,

The current clinical picture is that Autism and personality are completely distinct from one another; the personality determines how one deals with the disorder, nothing else. Some people are happy with not being able to communicate to others, some are very unhappy with such; this depends on one's perception and outlook, which is made by one's personality.

I broke from my shell; I was an unresponsive child to everyone but a few people, and I began to be able to interact with those around me if they interacted with me. This child, me when I was unresponsive, was nothing but a shell that was unable to interact with those around him, me.

Does MS define your personality? Does CIDP define the same? Does CDD do such? In all of these cases, the answer is no, and the answer is the same with Autism.

Have you had direct experience with being trapped in an uncommunicative shell? If someone asks you something, can you answer them and appear to recognize their existence? How can you say the individual within who is like this doesn't wish to interact? This is a prison when it takes away the choices one "should" have compared to the majority, whether someone wants to interact with others or not (this is a part of the personality, what people want to do).

There was a time I felt like I was trapped in a shell too. I couldn't talk to random people at all. My mind went blank. I too felt like I broke out of that. I still feel that way in group enviroments though.

nomnom_hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 May 2008, 3:20 am

Pithlet wrote:
The way I am interpreting this picture is that the autistic child (outside) is dead in a manner. It's indicated to me by him being buried. The child inside is the one that's alive. The whole "time is running out" with the imagery of the legitimate child being trapped by the defective child gives me the impression that the inside child is the way the child would have been w/o autism and could potentially be released/resurrected with the development of a cure. I could be reading this wrong, but it's the only way that makes sense to me. It could be the child inside is the autistic's secret personality (which everyone has) but cannot communicate, but I don't think that's what this is about. The symbolism makes it look like the autistic is lifeless, but potential to be the living child is contingent on finding a cure. Why else have the child buried and say "time is running out"? Time to find a cure?

If my interpretation is anywhere close, it doesn't matter who here can or cannot/should not identify with this possibly LF individual, it's still a harmful message. Actually, the functionality really shouldn't make a difference for messages like this to affect anyone who even identifies with the autism spectrum. Messages like this only show autism as a tragedy, using compelling analogies like "kidnapping" and in this case apparently death. While in many cases autism can be tragic for families, it's still much more important to promote understanding of people on any place on the spectrum. Showing only the gritty side, even making horrible misconceptions about the value or even the sentience of the autistic person does only the opposite. Believe it or not, these stigmas do spill over onto the high functioning end. It also discourages potential hf autistics from seeking a diagnoses when people aroung them say things like "Did you know 1 in 150 children are born autistic?? That's horrible!! Can you imagine having a child and finding out they are autistic? That would be the worst!". The HFA/AS is either not believed by misinformed people, or viewed as a tragedy by them. The potential autistic still has enough reasons to stay in the closet without such a quantity of significantly misinformed attitudes.

I'm not unsympathetic to parents who would obviously want their child to seem more alive to their perception, and communicate with them in a way they can understand, even wanting a cure for their child. But there comes a point when understanding and acceptance of the child outweighs what the parents may desire their child to be. It reminds me of the movie Magnum Opus, where the father in the story is a brilliant musician who identifies with the world through his beloved music. The man has a son, who as an infant is found out to be completely deaf. The father sees this as the worst possible tragedy, never having the ability to share what he loves with his son, never being able to communicate that part of himself with his son or have his son share anything musically with anyone else. But the real tragedy in the story was not that the boy was born deaf, it was the father's complete rejection of his son for most of his young life. Instead of finding any other ways to communicate with his son (not even bothering to learn sign fluently), or learn to identify with what his son loved, the man only focused on what he perceived to be tragic. He mourned, then he moved on as if his son were dead. Of course in the end, everything came together, the father opened his eyes and realized what was right there in front of him the whole time.

Scaring people into viewing autism as only a tragedy, even equivalent to kidnapping or death does the same thing to autistics. It convinces people to reject a living, feeling person and treat them like an empty vessle instead of encouraging them to love that person and search for ways to understand them, mabe with hard work even communicate with them. It wouldn't come naturally, just like a musical father learning to understand a deaf son. It's there, it just has to be searched for in unique ways. That's far more important of a message than "cure it, or be defeated" regardless of your stand on the curing issue.

But that's just my percieved angle on this based on my interpretation, which could very well be wrong.

I second this ^^ I think the message in the picture is dreadful.

I think I may have even seen that movie you talk about, but it may have been something else... :? Of course, a lot of movies have that rejection and then come together theme going on...(but I see how the deaf/music thing goes hand-in-hand with the communication thing in this topic).

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2008, 5:31 pm

Daniel,

The current clinical picture doesn't picture autism as a prison holding a real child locked away.

The current clinical picture does not separate Autism from personality, nor does it integrate them, they are different concepts.

You weren't replaced by another child, you learned how to interact better. It may have changed your life and you, but it's still you.

Daniel, I never said it was a matter of not wanting to interact, in fact, I said it was a matter of not being able to interact. You have someone else's post mixed up for being mine.

Who_Am_I wrote:
Zwerfbeertje wrote:
There is no such subset, no child, no matter how autistic, has another child locked inside.

How do you know that?

The same way I know that there are no faeries, nor magic missiles.