anyone else take surprises really badly?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 2:08 pm

surprises freak me out. My friends have learned to tell me about things weeks in advanced and keep reminding me up to the date.

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 2:28 pm

No I dont really like surprises - I certainly dont know how to react to them. A group of people I work with gave me a surprise birthday party last year - two months after my birthday. We went out for a meal - just 4 of us and it was normal to start with, then suddenly the lights went out and birthday cake was brought and a present given to me. I think they were very disappointed by my reaction - I was pleased by them thinking of doing that, but I had to force my mouth to smile when it wanted to cry and I think I probably showed a face of utter panic instead of enjoyment. They havent invited me out since.

Some surprises can be really nice things, but even if inside I am singing with joy, I really have to try and force enthusiasm into my voice and a false smile onto my face and I am sure that I end up sounding completely ungrateful. I have a complete inability to show enthusiasm or excitement when I am under pressure.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 7:54 pm

My pet hate is people lying to me or going behind my back, so when friends of mine distracted me (one pretended she needed a pencil case and dragged me to a stationary store), whilst they got a present for me, I felt really confused. On the one hand, I was delighted; I really appreciated the thought, but I also felt slightly duped I thought someone was actually asking for my opinion on pencil-cases and was heartily cooperating... I know that sounds ungrateful, but I really have a thing about honesty.

I don't think I would mind a present out of the blue, or a nice surprise, but not if it involves pulling the wool over my eyes (I'm the same with practical jokes).