Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Isthisreal
Raven
Raven

21 May 2008, 12:12 am

Anybody else have tics? My tics are: clearing my throat, twisting my neck, shrugging my shoulders, coughing, snuffing my nose, and many more. I stop myself from doing one of them but then I start doing another. I should also say that I cause myself injury over them(Getting a bloody nose, a headache, sharp back pain, sore throat, etc.).
(Is "tics" the correct medical term for it? By the way, I am not talking about stimming.)
Do any of you other aspies have tics? Is it caused by asperger's, or do I have something else like tourette's? I don't have an official diagnosis.

MacYavel83
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 May 2008, 2:48 am

I had tics when I was a kid, much less now.
I have a friend who has la Tourette's, and I definitely don't have it.

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2008, 3:26 am

I alternately raise my eyebrows.

Nout befuddles the mundies like arbitrary facial movements. But honestly, I don't even know I'm doing it half the time. My right eyebrow will go up, then go down as the left goes up, and then back the other way.

Silke
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 May 2008, 6:59 am

How would you define the difference between tics and stimms? Anyone?

I guess for me tics are things that annoy others or myself like when I was younger I had this coughing tic which drove my parents crazy but now whatever I do, I realize I do to calm myself down and to help me focus, like tensing my stomach muscles, rubbing my fingers together, biting my tongue, cheeks or lips, bouncing my knees, twiddling my toes, rubbing my legs, humming, singing or whistling, rocking, etc. and since I actually enjoy some of them I would call them stimms. So to be honest I thought tics and stimms where the same?

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2008, 7:44 am

Silke wrote:

I wouldn't know.
Don't much care.
I don't use either term... since I don't tend to categorise my movements that way. I know some of the motions I make on a regular basis are repetitive and serve no purpose other than personal reassurance.... but it isn't so clear-cut as that. Some of them are learned, others randomly showed up, some even have a practical purpose.... more or less-so...

I just don't like to go sticking labels on myself like that.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 7:45 am

yup

i used to have facial tics when i was younger (between 11 and 13) but now it's just little vocal things that nobody notices. i think it's Tourette's because 1) i fit the diagnostic criteria, and 2) my mom had tics and i've noticed tics in at least 3 of my cousins.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 8:15 am

Silke wrote:

I guess for me tics are things that annoy others or myself like when I was younger I had this coughing tic which drove my parents crazy but now whatever I do, I realize I do to calm myself down and to help me focus, like tensing my stomach muscles, rubbing my fingers together, biting my tongue, cheeks or lips, bouncing my knees, twiddling my toes, rubbing my legs, humming, singing or whistling, rocking, etc. and since I actually enjoy some of them I would call them stimms. So to be honest I thought tics and stimms where the same?

tics have a strong force behind them,that cannot be stopped,especially if they have built up, and nothing is gained from them,whereas stimming is to self stimulate and can be stopped if want it to.

am get tics but they are setoff by certain things am dont yet understand,am do not have tourettes.

tics can be part of own as or autism,or a seperate label,am think the difference is in the severity and affect it has on life.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2008, 8:20 am

I clear my throat and I blink either tightly or excessively at times. Especially when I'm stressed. I'm not sure if thats a tic or a stim. I am unaware of it most of the time.

I also swallow frequently at times so that I "forget" how to swallow. If that makes sense. And then I get panicky.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 8:22 am

I have an annoying tic involving my eyes that I hate because it often make people think I'm rolling my eyes at them. I also have a teeth-chattering tic that drives me nuts (it's not common teeth-grinding because it doesn't happen in my sleep).

Isthisreal
Raven
Raven

21 May 2008, 11:39 am

Quote:
tics have a strong force behind them,that cannot be stopped,especially if they have built up, and nothing is gained from them,whereas stimming is to self stimulate and can be stopped if want it to.

Good description. To further clarify, an example of a stim is when I rub my hands together when I'm excited. It brings me pleasure and I can stop myself if I want to. :) Also, I don't do it constantly. A tic is something I do and try to stop but I usually can't. Tics annoy the **** out of me and they hurt me physically. I'll usually do them for hours. I really don't want my tics. :(

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 11:43 am

I have tourettes and autism, my tics including shruggin my shoulders, leg jerks, facial jerks like my eye brows raising, i do this funny lip thing, so with me its mostly motor tics.

Isthisreal
Raven
Raven

21 May 2008, 11:50 am

I used to have that leg jerking tic too. I used to bug the crap out of all the other church goers when I was a teenager.:)

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 11:57 am

My dog, Winston, has ticks. My mom picks them off of him every day.

No, just kidding. I don't have any tics.

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2008, 12:35 pm

I have more ticks now than I did growing up. After a nerveous breakdown all hell broke loose.

Silke
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 May 2008, 1:20 pm

Thanks for the explanation :-) So I guess my tongue biting is a tic coz at times I can't stop that even though its sore and bleeding and the rest are stimms to a certain extend.

I can understand the nervous breakdown thing. I had one of them last year and since then everythings gone through the roof.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 1:23 pm

I have a few, but they're very few and far between.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!