Carrier Planes and Carriers of WWII

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 9:35 pm

Nimitiz was in command of the Pacific Fleet so he ADM along with Halsey who really was limited in the carrier to carrier battles. I have read more on Fletcher, Spruance, and Mitscher. Mitscher would be one of the greater commanders due his actions during the Marianas campaign along with Clark his right hand man. In my opinion, Spruance with his victory at Midway and Philippine Sea with Mitscher and Clark they prove to be a deadly force. Hasley in the Battle for Leyte Gulf, fall for a decoy with the remaining Japanese Carrier Forces. The whole Taffy Three beat off Goliath was a big upset for the Imperial Japanese Navy. I'm not big on MacArthur because I never study him well but I had read more on the Marines and they had hardcore commanders there like Howling Mad Smith and other great generals. I heard people said that Fletcher was a bad commander but there is a book out on his reassessment by John B. Lindstrom