Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:33 pm

Does anyone here get angry or frustrated when characters in movies act in stupid ways? For instance, when there's a murderer in the house, the housesitter hides in the basement instead of running outside to call the police. When the hero has the villain trapped in an abandoned factory, he gets into long conversations with him instead of just shooting him in the head. When a serial killer is torturing victims, the police just "observes", instead of cutting of the means of torture (such as cut off the electricity to the killer's house). When someone finds a place with really creepy residents, he doesn't make any effort to leave right away. I know it wouldn't be a movie otherwise, but why do the characters have to be so stupid!? It makes it very hard to identify with them, and makes the movie extremely boring to watch.

Some examples of movies with characters showing actual intelligence would be The Day after Tomorrow and The Island. People in them make rational decisions in escaping from life-and-death situations. Whether it's braving the bitter cold in a New York library or escaping from the Merrick Biotech facility, the people in those movies showed intelligence that actually amazed me. Why can't all movies have smart characters like that?

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:41 pm

I think that is part of the story line, and yes it is a little stupid after awhile.

SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2008, 11:18 pm

I think people are just used to it, but yes it annoys me too. I don't think stupidity makes the storyline. In fact, if there were intelligent people, then the story would be much more interesting and sophisticated. I also hate romances. Eg. the guy likes the girl, aks the girl out, the girl pretends she doesn't like him and says no, the guy acts like a complete jerkoff and keeps asking her out when she has said she is uninterested, then the girl admits she likes him and they get together. Does anyone else hate this? This is why romance is so much harder in real life - girls will play "hard to get" to guys they like then get upset when the guy gives up. Then, even worse, they will try to make the guy jealous. Until recently, I thought this only happened in really crappy teen movies, but people actually do it. I wonder if girls used to act this stupid before crappy teen tv shows, or has it always happened?