Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2009, 4:38 pm

Yes I do that sometimes, I still freak out whenever a child screams, baby cries, or dog barks, it's sad, then people sometimes stare at me and I'm going to be 20 in September.

www.stewartmango.com

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2009, 5:25 pm

I push my glasses up constantly. does that count?

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

ardea_rising
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2009, 11:42 pm

I am always tapping/slapping the top of my thighs with my hands, doing the blast beat style of drumming that grindcore, black and death metal bands use. It's better when i have some loose change in my pockets as it creates the hi-hat sound. When i am sat at a desk my legs are often active like i have got a bass drum pedal under my foot but this is totally a subconscious thing that I would like it to stop. I am trying to put on weight and bulk up a bit, i am sure doing that is burning of far to many calories but as for as the drumming on the thighs goes, I enjoy doing it to much to ever want to stop.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 2:26 am

mostly zoning out but when frustradet to point i headbang and if its coming more serious i stop answering because i feel so pissed off

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 3:17 am

I always have to be doing something with my hands, but I know a lot of NTs are that way so it doesn't come off as strange.

Occasionally I find myself nodding my head, or rocking back and forth for comfort. Soon as I catch myself I stop, unless I'm alone. Nobody's ever seemed to notice before... not that I can recall. It's never been brought to my attention, anyway.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 3:21 am

^ ACTUALLY, a guy at work noticed my head nodding a few weeks ago. He thought I was doing it to the music playing, but it still caught me off guard since I didn't realize I was doing it. Kind of embarrassing.

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2009, 9:55 am

sometimes if I see someone doing something odd I might mimic them, like I remember when I was little and my parents and I were in the mall and some guy was dragging his feet and I started to mimic him and my parents were like "Don't make fun!"
I don't think I do it anymore...

www.stewartmango.com

redplanet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2009, 10:06 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I'm not aware until I've started. I can stop once I have, but it's uncomfortable to do so.

Same here.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 11:01 am

I'm not sure if my behavior patterns fit the label "stimming". I've never done the classic "hand flapping", so I don't know. Usually, I'm just clacking my teeth. (That's gotten to the point where I had to get the dentist to put a protective layer on my molars, so yeah, I guess that problem is quite serious). I sometimes make the movements of playing a piano, but without a keyboard, just on a table surface or on my leg. It happens unconsciously (and often while there's music playing somewhere, though not necessarily so) but when I become aware of it, I can stop it. It's also apparently only a minor social problem, except that I've been asked by strangers whether I play the piano, which I do, so when people receive that answer, they accept it as an explanation and are usually polite about it. (More so if there happens to be a piano nearby.) When I'm reading a book, I scratch the sides with my fingernails. In stressful situations I also fiddle with objects, shred pieces of paper to confetti size, rock with my chair and flap my legs (did that at school a lot, haven't been in any stressful situations lately so I don't know if I'd still do it), though I've been told those patterns are more often associated with ADD. (It's been confirmed I don't have that, though.)
Oh, and to music I will also nod my head, move my feet and so on - but that can hardly count as "stimming" since NTs do that all the time as well.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2009, 1:24 pm

Oh yeah!
And the paperclips :lol:

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:29 pm

I am rocking a bit at the computer right now and last night before I had to take my mother to the emergency room I was pacing back and forth and hand flapping and sometimes my feet will tap in a certain pattern-I have tried to keep it to a minimum but I am not going to anymore as it takes much energy to actively and constantly try to control it. I f it happens-oh well it happens. If I am reading a book sometimes I will tap my breastbone with my left hand too.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 5:02 pm

Sometimes I'm aware and sometimes I'm not. It depends on the circumstance.

It usually just happens with little input from me. I used to be able to control it but lost that ability as I got older. Now that my movement disorder has advanced past a certain point it doesn't happen as much as it used to even when I need to do it. (I have found interestingly that now my hand will often drive my powerchair in ways that give similar sensations.)

It's a necessary thing when it happens. It helps me understand and relate to my environment, or endure it longer. It also helps me relate to my body which feels like a part of my environment rather than a part of me. It's really bad to discourage it just for the sake of looking normal. Especially since I don't look normal when I don't do it anyway (my dad says it's something about the way I hold myself).

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 5:25 pm

Sometimes I'm aware and try to stop so as not to draw attention to myself, sometimes I'm aware and don't care because I'll lose it if I can't stim, and other times I'm not aware until someone brings it up. It just depends.

jackson_p
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Oct 2022, 9:45 pm

I still flap my hands at the age of 46. I actually had to explain to my manager that this is why I don't like working in an office and he was very understanding (I am a software engineer). For me it has a fantastic feeling, pretty much ecstatic. For a long time I tried to suppress it because I didn't think it was "normal", and I didn't actually know that I was autistic (I know! how could I not have done?) but I still couldn't stop myself from tapping my fingers together or other similar movements, but it has nowhere near the same satisfaction. Eventually I received a diagnosis of ASD from my therapist (still unofficial) and he encouraged me to just flap my hands if I wanted to. I still don't do it in public but I make sure that I get alone time when I can just flap away :) It really has brought about amazing improvements in my mental health, with much lower anxiety levels the rest of the time.