Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

menameslaura
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2008, 9:40 pm

I hope she didn't give up.
And Crack, you need to post ASAP... you're sitting at 666 posts !

Laura

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 10:20 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Maybe the problem is your trying to treat him like he is 18 when hes not. I have faced this problem several times before and it has gotten me in trouble. Course next year I begin teaching so who knows what will happen. But back to him, irregardless o how he got here he doesn't seem to be 18. I know that we in America expect every 18 year old to be at such and such place in his life (generally drinking his ass off at nite and going to classes with hangovers in the morning) but needlesses to say, not everybody fits that mold.

So treat him like he is 10 (do not, I repeat do not! word it that way) give him some tutoring sessions yourself, get his levels up to a more proficent level in the next 4 years or 6 years or 2 years or however long it takes (and understand the frustrating he is having in not being able to do this). In addition to this see about if he can take art classes or whatever at the local community college. With chores, make it logical, there is nothing worse for an aspie then illogical chores. What I mean by this is have a one to one ratio of the chores everyone does compared to each other (yourself included). There was nothing worse for me growing up then being forced to clean the living room where I spent maybe 30 minutes a day probably less (and didn't ever make a mess in). If hes doing chores for you, make sure you show him equal amounts of chores your doing for him, and don't even try BSing your way through it (if you say you do such and such chore make sure you do such and such chore.)

The anger is the one serious problem getting in the way off all of this. And quite honestly I don't know how to deal with this. More shrink time and less meds come to mind (if they aren't working why use them?). Also martial arts might be useful here, more self-control would certainly help. Quite honestly this is the one area you really need to get through. With the rest just let him keep being a 10 year old, and if you can get through with the anger maybe use more 10 year old punishments.

Best advice I've read thus far; you cannot equate age and maturity.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 12:24 am

makuranososhi wrote:
Endersdragon wrote:
Maybe the problem is your trying to treat him like he is 18 when hes not. I have faced this problem several times before and it has gotten me in trouble. Course next year I begin teaching so who knows what will happen. But back to him, irregardless o how he got here he doesn't seem to be 18. I know that we in America expect every 18 year old to be at such and such place in his life (generally drinking his ass off at nite and going to classes with hangovers in the morning) but needlesses to say, not everybody fits that mold.

So treat him like he is 10 (do not, I repeat do not! word it that way) give him some tutoring sessions yourself, get his levels up to a more proficent level in the next 4 years or 6 years or 2 years or however long it takes (and understand the frustrating he is having in not being able to do this). In addition to this see about if he can take art classes or whatever at the local community college. With chores, make it logical, there is nothing worse for an aspie then illogical chores. What I mean by this is have a one to one ratio of the chores everyone does compared to each other (yourself included). There was nothing worse for me growing up then being forced to clean the living room where I spent maybe 30 minutes a day probably less (and didn't ever make a mess in). If hes doing chores for you, make sure you show him equal amounts of chores your doing for him, and don't even try BSing your way through it (if you say you do such and such chore make sure you do such and such chore.)

The anger is the one serious problem getting in the way off all of this. And quite honestly I don't know how to deal with this. More shrink time and less meds come to mind (if they aren't working why use them?). Also martial arts might be useful here, more self-control would certainly help. Quite honestly this is the one area you really need to get through. With the rest just let him keep being a 10 year old, and if you can get through with the anger maybe use more 10 year old punishments.

Best advice I've read thus far; you cannot equate age and maturity.

M.

Thank you, I just hope she got in, and even more importantly she (and her son, as that is what it ultimately comes down to) agrees.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 12:52 am

Agree thoroughly.. really struck as I re-read - I am a prime example there. In some ways, I'm many years older than my physical age; in others, I've remained decades in my youth... I'm still immature in many ways. It takes time for people to understand that... it causes problems when I vacillate from one extreme to the other and they haven't understood why. Hell, I didn't until the past six months.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 8:23 am

He would benefit from some remedial teaching, whether he goes to college or not. He needs something to prop up his self-esteem. If he can't do basic math, then going out into the world has got be scary for him.

Have you checked out social services in your area? Maybe there is a work program.

To help your immediate situation at home, I would lay down ground rules of expected behavior. I don't know how it's going for you, but he should be washing his own clothes, etc... If he lacks those basic life skills, I would concentrate on those.

Good luck.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2008, 10:14 am

I am bipolar and have AS. My anger is regulated by Risperidone which is a mood-stabilizer.

Lithium is a medication that many (if not most) bi-polars loathe being on. It deadens them. If your son, like me, is a rapid cycler (meaning you go from one episode to the other in lightning quick changes) then lithium may not be the best choice anyways. I also have mixed episodes which mean that the mania is more anger related than euphoric.

Getting his meds regulated is going to be the first thing you'll want to do. Get a pill container that has a spot for each day, and make sure he takes them. I know this is one more thing for you to do...but similar to diabetes, you cannot make a mess of your meds and be healthy.

18 is a mess of hormones. 18 is not wanting to grow up. Add his difficulties and you and your family suffer. Remember to take care of yourself. You are most important, otherwise you can't help anyone else.

Decide on what needs to be done and make a list. Show him this list and tell him this is what needs being done. Keep to it, regardless. Check one thing off at a time. This makes both of your realize the progress.

Be good to yourself, don't tolerate abuse, and remember why you love him. He has difficulties, and he needs help. Unfortunately, unlike a parent of an NT, your caretaking responsibilities will continue until he can take care of himself.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 12:07 pm

CRACK wrote:
is carolgatto still around? I was under the impression that she gave up on looking for help here after 2ukenkerl's comment.

Well, I DID try to make things better after her last post. One would think she would come back just out of curiousity. I think my last post was about as helpful as anyone could be, and I told her how to do it inexpensively.

Still, parents shouldn't come here speaking like their kids are in such dire straights, and leave information that makes them look like such contributors to it. If they do, they are BOUND to get some nasty responses.

Still, she has posted SOMEWHAT sporadically, so the lack of posts in the past 3-4 days can't be taken to mean anything. I REALLY doubt that, after being on this board for over a year, my post ALONE made her leave.

blindsided
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2009, 12:39 pm

Carol i have one grow daudhter,and 4 adopted children.My adopted son whom we have had since he was 3yrs old sounds alot like yours.We are having a horrible time with him.We also begged for IEP teacher all his school years,didn't get one.We had to send a letter to school board to hold him back in 5th grade.My son is 18 he is a senior,he has had so many test run on him since 4 years old.He has been to 3 behavior hospitals at 1000dollars a day.We still have not got a dignosis on him.The doctors are treating him for bipolar and anger.He acts just like your son except we have had to call the police many times to stop his rage.The police talk to him,but there have not been any consiquences.He lives in a fanacy world.He is mean if he does not feel in control.I am the one at home so i am his victum.I love him very much and we have done every thing we know to do.I beg people for help but like you we make just enough we can,t get any help.When i talk to his doctors about the future they don't have any anwsers.They told me i could go to collage with him,(like i would if i could afford to).My husband ,me,my two daughters and son sleep up stairs to protect them.So he is basicly in charge.But if i try to regain any control or order at my house woe is me.My husband does not want to here about this,I think he enjoys going to his job more these days.I am at such a loss I don't know what to do.I no many people read these storys and have ideal sollutions,but unless you live it or are a doctor in the field there is no way to make you understand how this is.You love someone so much but can't find any possible way to fix them,I don't no what to do.Any real advice would be great.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 1:59 pm

carolgatto wrote:
Well it's been a while since I have been on here. Things get a little crazy here with 4 kids, 3 on the spectrum and one with Type I diabetes and still no help. I could use some advice and support.
My AS/Bipolar son graduated high school and turned 18 in June. HS was not a great place for him and they didn't give us an IEP until his senior year, not that it helped him much anyway. The basically just pushed him through to get rid of him. He still cannot do basic math,and was given no help in social skills or life skills. Honestly they graded him on two class periods they didn't know what to do with him so they put him in a classroom with his old cooking teacher, where he sat and talked. He got a C and a B, I guess his conversations were better in one class than the other,lol. So now I am left with an 18 year old who is totally unprepared for life and to make things worse he doesn't want to do anything to help himself. He doesn't want to work, drive, or go to college. I set up an appointment at social security for him to see if he could get SSI and he wouldn't even go, I had to go fill out all the paperwork and bring it home for him to sign and return. He is subject to bipolar rages especially when his meds are off and he nevers remembers to take them unless I tell him to. These rages have caused huge problems in the house. He will go after his 13 yr old brother and break up everything, and he scares the other kids so much, so it is important that he try to keep his med levels even. I cannot get him to enroll in the community college, he says no more school. I finally got him to go to DMV and take his permit test, but he failed the first time and won't go back. I tell him he needs to find a job and he says, "I applied at two places and they didn't call me back"...this is over a two month time period. When I tell him in no uncertain terms he must find a job, he gets all flustered and asks me to find him a job. He doesn't help at all around the house, expects me to just hand him money anytime he wants it, and thinks this is perfectly ok. His only motivation in life is "what's in it for me". Now I know that can be the nature of AS, but when do you say enough is enough. I tell him he must adapt to the world a little because the world will not adapt to him and he says, " NO " flat out. Now I know there are things he can do, he is talented, artistic and pretty smart, but he refuses to do anything positive. The last rage he had, I told him to leave as he got in my face and threatened me and the little kids along with breaking things. He was gone about an hour when he called me asking to come home and promising to change. As much as I wanted him to learn a lesson I knew that he would not make it a day on his own and let him come home. It's like throwing a ten year old out. I just don't know what to do with him and to be honest I have the other three kids to help and just cannot continue to let his behaviors control every moment of our lives. How do I make him see that he can do things, and that he needs to take responsibility for himself? Do I just take him and enroll him in college anyway? Do I find him a job and should we tell his employers about his AS and bipolar? How do you make someone who is 18 but has the emotional age of ten become an adult? :cry:

He sounds more Bipolar than AS. With that being said, parents on this board give bad advice with regards to AS teens and transitions to adulthood. The best advice is to listen to the folks with ASD who have transitioned into adulthood. The problem here is bipolar, which is playing a much larger role it sounds like than the AS. A pure aspie would have been pretty advanced academically, academics would not be the problem with that transition, the social aspects would be.

Bipolar is a bigger problem, and I hate to say this, but my brother was bipolar. Bipolar is tough, and my advice is to go to a board with parents and family members of bipolar teens. An AS board is not the right place. I hate to say this, but if you are expecting a transition to adulthood at 18...temper your expectations. Think 25 years old. It is that tough and right now he is probably at his peak in terms of the illness. I will also say it may very well take throwing him out (if he becomes a threat for physical violence). That will entail courage and risk. As stated, it may very well involve taking care of him for a long time, so the SSI was a good idea.

I should note Risperidone is the one medication I know friends who have bipolar have success with, but only when they want to improve thier situation (there is a level of self improvement that does need to be necessary). Lithium I always hear about the horror stories, it very rarely works. Even my brother is not on medication got better because he wanted to be a better person, a better man...and now has a skilled labor job that pays pretty well.

blindsided
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2009, 12:56 pm

starygrrl,Thankyou so much for your response.Lots of people like to commit when they don't live it.My son is very smart he can't or want make the right discisions.He takes litum,zoloft,and repirdal.Like i said he is very immature.He has a love hate relationship with my 13yr.old,mostly hate.I do no what to do,yesterday before school i was tring to get him to brush teeth and get in the car.He becan very angry,shoved me and tried to hit me.I told him he was not going to be able to stay here if he could not control his self.So he goes to school and after school get on his bike and leaves.Mean while his father comes home wants to talk about am problem can't find him.Hour later a tornado allert bad weather and a friend calls and says she thinks she say him 10 miles down the rode.My husband goes to find him(of course he hides)he still finds him and he says he has decided to go to Tennessee to live with aunt(thinks he can get ther in same time as driving).We bring him home today he starts same stuff again.It is something every day.But he is very smart in school,he test very high.If you look at him you would say what a good looking young man you would not know he had problems.I thought love could heal all but the scars his biological mom put on him i guess will never heal.

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2010, 2:32 pm

If you honestly believe he has the maturity and functioning of a 10 year old, when he is 18, then you need to go to court and get custody of him. You would not expect a 10 year old to go out and get a job, fill out paperwork, enroll them selves in school, or any of these other things you are asking for. In this case, since he is 18, you are left with a hard decision. He is legally allowed to make his own decisions and take his own actions, but he is incapable, by your description. Therefore, you should make the decisions for him, but need legal authority to do that.