If anyone goes to an autism meetup group....

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 1:10 pm

What are they like and what do you do there?

Maybe if I could find some where I live, I might go to one.

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2008, 1:42 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
What are they like and what do you do there?

Maybe if I could find some where I live, I might go to one.

I went to one yesterday. I think it depends on who is hosting it. But for sure you will meet some others with Aspergers or who think they might. There were two other guests there besides myself and two hosts. The hosts didn't have Aspergers and one of the other guests was a family member of people who possibly have AS. The hosts demonstrated biofeedback to us and it was very compelling. I may use this treatment. It was worthwhile and wonderful to meet. I think you should go no matter what the topic, it's sure to be interesting to meet others with AS. Seems like everyone with AS expresses it a little differently, but you can recognize traits that you have. It is like looking into a mirror sometimes. Very funny and educational.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 1:46 pm

I met up with this sort of group a few times. They were tied in with a social skills training group that was solely for adults with AS. I always got the impression that the psychology students and whatnot kept a certain professional distance from us subjects (though I once traded a CD with one of them) but the people with AS themselves met up every fortnight for a chat and a few drinks. All I can suggest is that you look for an autism support group (maybe social skills training) that instructs people in groups and you might find something going on there.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 2:25 pm

Our support group just got started. The first meeting was an introductory one. The lady who is running it has an Aspie daughter, and most of the people there were either Aspies, Auties, or family members. There was one person there who was a mental health type, but she said her son has autism. Maybe when we get going full steam, we can invite more mental health types there. It would be nice to train a few of them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 2:38 pm

WonderWoman wrote:
I went to one yesterday ... The hosts demonstrated biofeedback to us and it was very compelling. I may use this treatment.

I don't go to meet-ups for this reason alone. It seems that someone is always trying to "demonstrate" something - a product or service - thet they hope to sell to you, as well. This seems to be the real reason behind such events.

If someone wants to sell something to me, then they should just admit it up front, instead of hiding the sales pitch behind the guise of a "purely social" happening.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2008, 3:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
WonderWoman wrote:
I went to one yesterday ... The hosts demonstrated biofeedback to us and it was very compelling. I may use this treatment.

I don't go to meet-ups for this reason alone. It seems that someone is always trying to "demonstrate" something - a product or service - thet they hope to sell to you, as well. This seems to be the real reason behind such events.

If someone wants to sell something to me, then they should just admit it up front, instead of hiding the sales pitch behind the guise of a "purely social" happening.

If it's a good product that will truely help me, then I respect people trying to make a living. They didn't hide their intent on the meetup anouncement. These people gave about 5 hours of their time talking to us. They are clearly doing what they are doing because they love it and believe in it. That being said, I'm sure there are those that are not on the up and up. It takes all kinds. Use your judgement.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2008, 11:09 pm

Our group (San Antonio, TX) usually meets at a restaurant and we just hang out and visit. No agenda.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 11:27 pm

Justthatgirl11 wrote:
Our group (San Antonio, TX) usually meets at a restaurant and we just hang out and visit. No agenda.

I am looking forward to coming to the meetups once I get settled at my new school.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2008, 11:30 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Justthatgirl11 wrote:

I am looking forward to coming to the meetups once I get settled at my new school.

Cool. We should be able to make it next month, this month has been crazy.

lukesneeringer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2008, 6:17 pm

Justthatgirl11 wrote:

How often does this occur? I live in Austin, and might be interested. Probably social phobia will keep me from coming, but the 411 would be nice to have nonetheless.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2008, 9:55 am

lukesneeringer wrote:
Justthatgirl11 wrote:

How often does this occur? I live in Austin, and might be interested. Probably social phobia will keep me from coming, but the 411 would be nice to have nonetheless.

Cool. It happens about once a month. Whoever feels like arranging a meet-up does so. There's one Saturday, I think. We set up a yahoo group for it. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wrongplanet/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 12:18 pm

Even though San Marcos is closer to Austin, I prefer San Antonio simply because the traffic isn't as bad.

Austin is officially worse than Dallas-Ft. Worth in terms of traffic.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 7:20 pm

I've been to purely adult AS groups and also groups with parents, teachers, social workers plus AS kids and adults across the spectrum. Both groups were bad and boring and did nothing for me. I guess its only as good as the facilitators and depends how socially interactive the other adult Aspies are. If you have an especially low functioning bunch of Aspies it probably won't go far.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 7:26 pm

I imagine they would vary by the setting, and the extent that the people have AS.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 3:52 pm

I regularly attend a local autism/asperger's meetup group here in Calgary. Like the one mentioned in Austin, it is located in a restaurant. There is no agenda, and it is rather informal. The people offer intriguing and stimulating conversation. The host manages to bring everything together without appearing to do anything. In all, I find it to be a rewarding experience, that I anticipate each month.

Of course, I may just be biased, as I met my GF there... :oops: