Guess I truly am one of the family

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 9:39 pm

I've been interested in genealogy but found a stumbling block in that I can't find any information on my great aunts/uncle children, or their relatives that lived next door to them in the early 1900s.

So first I found my grandfathers phone number online and called him. he knew less than I did and told me that this side of my family never had any real interest in keeping in contact with each other.

I asked him for his brothers phone number - he didn't know it. So i looked up my dads phone number online (i don't know it) and called him to see if he had it. I got his two cousins phone numbers from him - i haven't seen or heard form these 2 in about 9 years now. So I called the one. She also said that this family is just not interested in each other. Its not that they didn't know each oether - just that they were never interested in associating with each other. And she didn't have her dads phone number because its been years since she talked to him and wasn't even sure where he is at now or if he has alzheimers or not. She did spend a large portion of the phone call talking about how she doesn't like to speak to family - though she said she excused me from that and i could call backk

I suppose if I ever do find the long lost relatives i hope too, I can explain that my greatest difficulty in finding them was that no one in the family has any desire to talk to anyone else in the family. Of course, if they are the same way than I doubt they'll be talking to be in the first place. It does make me wonder about the 2 people who I sent emails too after finding information online that indicated we had to be cousins - they never responded. maybe that proves they are family after all :D

ETA: and i just called the other cousin, asked for her and was told "She's working. Bye. click."

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2008, 11:27 pm

Whenever you meet someone and they totally ignore you, you're probably related!

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 11:40 pm

:lol:

My family is like that too there was only contact with dads brother and sister and their kids (my cousins) while I was a child and it was fairly minimal then.

11 Aug 2008, 11:55 pm

I have an aunt and uncle who are like that. They do not call anyone or go to any family reunions. They only went to the ones that were in Wisconsin where they live. Their daughter is also kept to herself and she gets on well with people in the nursing home but she doesn't do well with her peers.

I had an great uncle who would come to the family dinners or lunch at my grandparents house and after he be done eating, he leave. He also kept to himself when he arrive there because he didn't talk much. He spoke when spoken to.

Heck I don't call anyone in my family, only my parents.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 11:58 pm

I rarely see any extended family...I don't want too anyways lol

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 2:58 am

I think I just discovered the reason for this. I was looking at Ellis Island records and came across my great-great who immigrated to the us. On his ship manifest there are 5 people listed as heading to my great-great grandparents house. I've already found 7 prior to this.

I bet their children were driven insane by the constant influx of family and friend immigrants

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 6:11 am

I found out I got some extended family members I never knew I had.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 6:18 am

Friends you can pick... family just gets dumped into
your lap with the note; "this is yours, take it and like it!"
To me blood is thicker then water, if i for some reason
really hate a family memmber, i will still help him/her if needed,
simply because of the fact that we are family. (there are some
exceptions to this rule).

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:57 pm

My family on my dad's side all immigrated here in 1905, one hundred years later on the exact same date in 2005, we found the ships manifests for my grandmother and her family that came over. This was all on Ellis Island. Two years previous, we met the rest of our family. I'm sure out there, are people who we are related to, but haven't found them yet.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 9:14 pm

Gamester wrote:
My family on my dad's side all immigrated here in 1905, one hundred years later on the exact same date in 2005, we found the ships manifests for my grandmother and her family that came over. This was all on Ellis Island. Two years previous, we met the rest of our family. I'm sure out there, are people who we are related to, but haven't found them yet.

I did track down one relative but that wasn't all that exciting - perhaps because she hade already researched that family line to the 1500s and it wasn't the one I was interested.

but tomorrow I'm expecting to hear from (or about) a woman who shares my 7x great grandparents. I found her name from a post her brother made - his email address no longer works, the same with the other 3 I found for people with his name. There was only one google result for and it was a school in the same city her brother had said he lived in. She speaks portugese (no idea about english) and the portugese website I once intermediary for closed, so I didn't have any means of contacting portugese people I could trust to help me out. However, I noticed one of her fellow teachers was listed as something like "professor de ingles" So i looked up that person on a teacher's education website and got their email from that. I just heard back from her today.

I'm pretty curious to know what happened to all these immigrants to the US though.. It seems to be that out of all my aunts/uncles children, only 1 lived old enough to have his own kids. But what happened to the children of my 6 great aunts and uncles? I imagine it would be a lot easier to find out if I weren't searching for people whose last name is both a common word, and a common first name

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:14 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Gamester wrote:

I did track down one relative but that wasn't all that exciting - perhaps because she hade already researched that family line to the 1500s and it wasn't the one I was interested.

but tomorrow I'm expecting to hear from (or about) a woman who shares my 7x great grandparents. I found her name from a post her brother made - his email address no longer works, the same with the other 3 I found for people with his name. There was only one google result for and it was a school in the same city her brother had said he lived in. She speaks portugese (no idea about english) and the portugese website I once intermediary for closed, so I didn't have any means of contacting portugese people I could trust to help me out. However, I noticed one of her fellow teachers was listed as something like "professor de ingles" So i looked up that person on a teacher's education website and got their email from that. I just heard back from her today.

I'm pretty curious to know what happened to all these immigrants to the US though.. It seems to be that out of all my aunts/uncles children, only 1 lived old enough to have his own kids. But what happened to the children of my 6 great aunts and uncles? I imagine it would be a lot easier to find out if I weren't searching for people whose last name is both a common word, and a common first name

well that's on my dad's side........though apparently, I did find out that we are also related to British Royalty from the 1600's, on my mom's side.