Short term memory loss? Forgetfulness? What is this...?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:03 pm

I'm not sure if this is AS related, so I'll put it here.

Ok, I've been searching on the web for this, to no avail. Nothing seems to describe what I've been experiencing, as I've probably not searched for it using correct terms. So I come to you.

Here goes. My day is pretty routine, nothing abnormal, or stressful. I get ready for work. When I leave the house, I may have forgotten to put my wallet, phone, iPod, backpack, lunch or myriad other things in/on me. I get to the donut store. I buy a coffee. Maybe an energy drink. I'll leave my lunch, Monster, or wallet on the counter. I get on the bus, my Monster (energy drink), lunch, phone, wallet, or other thing may get left behind. I take two buses, so this is twice as likely to happen. Sometimes when I leave something behind, it's given back to me personally right then and there, or some weeks later. Basically, I leave things behind-constantly. At work, I'll bring a tool, use it for a project, and leave it there. And forget till I need it again. Constantly. Also at work, I'll have something in mind, like walking to the other side of the shop to grab some plastic wrap. Halfway there I will forget what I why I'm walking. If I'm ordered to do something, I usually do not forget it. Unless I was doing something before that I have to finish first. Then I may forget.

This is an everyday occurance, maybe it's common? I don't think so. I've cut a lot of the "lost" items things by simply shifting the contents of my pockets from my old pants to the ones I will wear that day. I've stopped buying and carrying needless things. That part is improving. However, I play with my wallet/phone on the bus still, and still lose those things, I've really not tried stopping that. Thankfully I'm used to dropping my phone and can hear it through my iPod when it drops from my lap.

Right now, the issue for me is work. As was mentioned before, sometimes I'll have a mission in mind, and completely go completely blank on it. HOWEVER, I'll remember sometime later. No exaggeration-this happens at least 15 times a day, I don't count the times, but I suspect a regular day has about 20-30, possibly more of these "blank" episodes. I'll see if I can count the times this happens on Monday. This results in much wasted time, but thankfully I usually remember what I was supposed to do-after the a while tho. Sometimes all it will take is for me to retrace my steps and get into the "mode" of what I was doing. Sometimes I'll go back to the exact task I was doing before, maybe "trigger" the memory. These usually do the trick just fine, usually in less than five minutes. What I'm worried about is possible deterioration, or underlying problems, that may or may not need attention. I'm not old, have no STDs, do not drink, smoke, consume ANY drugs.

These temporary forgetful moments at work are VERY minor, as I see them, they do not impede me in any way, other than wasting time, and possibly forgetting something important. If say I were to build 20 sofa frames that day, I will not forget to put on an arm, or anything, I do this just fine.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:15 pm

I have not carried a purse since the age of twelve for this very reason. I am so forgetful, it is absurd. I have often wondered if I might have some sort of brain damage. I know I am intelligent but the things I do sometimes make me feel a bit ret*d. My aspie son is also very disorganized and forgetful. I am his biggest defender when he is criticized for this because I know he simply cannot help it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:17 pm

Uhh ... what was the question?

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:25 pm

Wow. Yeah, I've feared some sort of brain damage as well. Bothered me till I got older and started to change my habits... Still bothered me, because I know the problem's still there. Really didn't notice this till my first job at a convenience store. As a kid I forgot things quite often, just never thought about it as a real problem (except when I got yelled at!). Also was quite messy as a child. :?

Much respect for understanding your son like you do. So this is part of Asperger's? I've not read of it. Might've skipped right over this.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:53 pm

I used to have that problem too. In my case, it was anxiety that was the distraction, in every aspect of my life. I had alot of difficulty staying focused on any specific topic, for any extended period of time. My brain was going too fast to concentrate on one thing. I had to know as much as possible about everything possible, and this included everything, relevant or not, and was all consuming. Perhaps you might have some variation of anxiety disorder? Maybe not as severe? I had to take meds, in order to get control of my life. I just wanted to add something to think about. :)

Those who know, don't speak.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:03 pm

I have this issue as well.

It's almost an associate almost the equivalent of adult onset Alsemiers.

It's not that bad, for me it's annoying because I'm in college and I forget things really easily.

I have found however, that reading will help this, because it keeps requiring your brain to learn, and for those of us during the summer who don't do much, it's a good way to stop this from happening.

and spend less time in front of a computer or TV screen as well.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:05 pm

Jawbrodt

That's a good point! I actually just read a bit about GAD the other day and posted in a topic (and was off topic at that!). Tho, I'm not sure if that is the reason, as I'm not particularly anxious at work when I forget things. Thanks for throwing that out there though, it's really helpful. This has weighed heavily on my mind for years.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:08 pm

Gamester-

Oy. That does not sound very good... :| Alzheimer's is progressive, as far as I know... Have you read anything of this, any articles, any links to share? This is almost exactly what I've feared... :hmph:

Last edited by -JR on 16 Aug 2008, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:08 pm

Anxiety is a strange entity. There are so many forms, that it is often overlooked.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:12 pm

[quote="-JR"]Gamester-

Oy. That does not sound very good... :| Alzheimer's is progressive, as far as I know... Have you read anything of this, any articles, any links to share? This is almost exactly what I've feared... :hmph:[/quote

No, but I know enough about Alzheimer's from my nursing major friends that it's probably not that, it's probably just that some people are blessed with better memory in some area. I've got better short term then long term. it's all about long and short term span.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:19 pm

-JR wrote:
Gamester-

Oy. That does not sound very good... :| Alzheimer's is progressive, as far as I know... Have you read anything of this, any articles, any links to share? This is almost exactly what I've feared... :hmph:

I have always warned my kids that I will most likely be one crazy Alzheimer's chicky when I'm old...although there are no other occurrences in my family. I will add that I also suffer with anxiety problems.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:23 pm

-JR you sound a bit like me.

You might want to read up ADHD. I have to write lists all the time and I'm constantly fogetting what I'm doing. Because my brain naturually goes in all directions, I've naturually developed a coping stagegy where I only think of one thing at a time and intensely focus on that and thus I forget other things.

ADHD doesn't mean you are hyperactive either it has the oppostie effect it can make you hypoactive (which makes you slow).

I read that ADHD and AS seem to be interlinked as well.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:26 pm

I think anxiety is a major factor with ADHD or ADD, as well.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:55 pm

Yeah, never even considered ADD, or ADHD. Will be reading.

Thanks MUCH for the info/insight guys! :D

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 10:12 pm

I have read much on attention deficit disorders. The teachers in school kept insisting this was my son's problem, but there are certain diagnostic criteria which always apply for a diagnosis and his doctor agreed this did not fit my son. It was not until his diagnosis and I began learning about Asperger's that I truly felt we were on the right track. He and I both have problems with short term memory. I am very interested in the connection with anxiety. Does anyone have links to more information about this?

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:35 am

I'd blame it on age but I've been that way all my life. I think with me the problem is I can only focus on one thing at a time, someone talks to me, or I get distracted...and bam...I loose whatever thought process was in there first. I'm pretty much fine at home, it's normally only when I go out in public that my brain goes on strike.