Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:02 pm

It will probably only be a matter of time before there are highly sophisticated robots. What if they have the ability to create new robots? For two robots to get together and merge their design details and build an offspring? Possibly the new robot could be assembled inside one of its "parents". The issue of gender may naturally just happen. In fact there could be a whole range of robots whose primary function is to build more robots inside of themselves. Just thinking aloud.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:02 pm

Well, at least they can't claim, "God made me this way" or "I was born this way"... :roll:

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:05 pm

Reproduction even sexually reproduction never required gender. They could just order a kit from a facory and put it together, or just pop out of a factory.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:05 pm

TallyMan wrote:
It will probably only be a matter of time before there are highly sophisticated robots. What if they have the ability to create new robots? For two robots to get together and merge their design details and build an offspring? Possibly the new robot could be assembled inside one of its "parents". The issue of gender may naturally just happen. In fact there could be a whole range of robots whose primary function is to build more robots inside of themselves. Just thinking aloud.

Cheaper to mass produce them in a factory. You'd have to have some fairly sophisticated nanotechnology for them to copy the way humans or animals reproduce. More difficult if they are to grow from a seed or a spore though.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:07 pm

I wasnt takeing it werously either, the idear that if it is male or female is that it must have been based off something. If it was based of a human we might want to clasify it further, and one of the big ways we classify humans often into two groups is male and female And what ever it is based off most its gender. Kind of makeing me think a bit about the movie A.I., it was a crazy movie that looked at some of the ideas of such androids, and I think I have seen some movies where artificial beings are tring to find there gender. Other wise another interesting point is the matrix movies, interesting how some of the programs picked up diferent genders. Or you could have close to organic machines where they might have a sort of hive mentality, some center queens and maybe males I dont know spreading the production method, but then you may look at what is there difference for the genders.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:21 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Other wise another interesting point is the matrix movies, interesting how some of the programs picked up diferent genders.

In the Matrix there were two programs that illicitly reproduced and created a "child". My guess would be that if A.I. becomes many magnitudes more advanced than it is now, that any robots (or even just software) could establish a certain familiarity and level of mutual support and benefit interacting with a another similar robot (or program). It could even be termed "friendship". Perhaps the two units would wish to create a new unit that had a contribution of each of them? This may all sound fanciful at the moment but I think it is only a matter of time before it happens.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:26 pm

Yeah but how do you understand the Maravingian and his wife Persphone, kind of an interesting turn. We know that the architect and the oracle created it and were different genders, ahhh yeah talking about stuff of no importance.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:37 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
talking about stuff of no importance.

Of no importance today. I wonder in say 50, 100, 500 years? Robots will be built as our helpers, an extension of the machines of today. But at a certain level of A.I. do they become more? Would they "deserve" more? Would there be robots demonstrating on the streets drawing parallels to their existence with that of blacks in the days of slavery? There were people who thought black people were only "animals" and had no rights. Could humanity make the huge leap to accept robots as being more than machinery? My guess is that humanity of today could not make that leap, there would be people saying "How can a toaster have rights", refusing to acknowledge the A.I. component. I look forward to seeing what happens in 500 years time. Exciting times.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:43 pm

Well I know that some things about denying them can be bad ideas, have you seen the animatrix, it proved that it was infact humans who attacked the machines the most. I think it was the first killings were out of self defence, what would hapen if a machine killed of course we would want to stop it but just because it is artificial would we treat it as less. The thing is if we treat them as below us what would hapen if they were to turn the tables they treated us below them.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 2:17 pm

If machines and humans when to war what side would the cyborgs be on?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 2:39 pm

Eggman wrote:
If machines and humans when to war what side would the cyborgs be on?

Well if you think about it, unless human soldiers are going to fight with their bare hands, then the line becomes a bit blurred. Is a soldier with a big gun or sitting in a tank or helicopter much different to a soldier with certain weapons integrated into his body?
I guess the primary dividing line would be whether the brain was human or robotic. But even here the line could become blurred with neural implants augmenting the senses (so you can see infra red for example with an extra artificial eye) and perhaps extra memory so you could recognise thousands of individual faces for example with a detailed dossier on the person seen, or the ability to perform certain types of calculation rapidly. The division between man, cyborg and robot could get very fuzzy.