New law holds parents accountable for kids' graffiti

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Should parents be held accountable for damage done by their children?
Yes. 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
No. 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
No answer, busy picking nose. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 12:41 am

Board approves law that holds parents accountable for kids' graffiti

I think this is a great idea... parents might take more interest in what their kids are up to if there might be financial consequences to letting them do whatever they want.

Opinions?

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Aug 2008, 5:55 am

They should definitely be accountible. Its upto the parents to raise their kids to be responsible but they arent so they are responsible for their kids actions.

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 11:51 am

I agree completely that parents should be held accountable for kids' graffiti. But is this because they are “kids”. In other words because they are under the age of 18? If so then how about crimes such as murder? More and more “kids” under the age of 18 are prosecuted as adults for serious crimes. If they are adults then how can you hold their parents responsible. If they are “kids” why are they prosecuted as adults. If they are “kids” should the parents pay some kind of restitution for murder or armed robbery. Something is either a crime or not a crime. Is graffiti a more serious a crime than murder that we need stricter laws for it? You can’t have it both ways. Before the 1980s it was almost unheard of to prosecute minors as adults. Should the age of consent be lowered? If so when should someone be considered an adult? Are the laws being made to exact justice or to make people feel good as if they’re doing something?

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:00 pm

and yet another law untill where only able to breath and work till whe die so i say no.
next youll say that they'll have to fill in documents to buy graffity -_-'