do we deserve to perish in a nuclear holocaust?

Page 1 of 12 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

do we deserve to perish in a nuclear holocaust?
yes 28%  28%  [ 13 ]
no 59%  59%  [ 27 ]
other (please qualify) 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 46

chever
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 8:13 pm

Discuss

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 8:17 pm

We may deserve to perish, but the planet does not deserve for us to perish in a nuclear holocaust.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 8:22 pm

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985. Dog Carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'no.' They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good men like my father, or President Truman. Decent men, who believed in a day's work for a day's pay. Instead they followed the droppings of lechers and communists and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late. Don't tell me they didn't have a choice. Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloody hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth-talkers, and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 8:23 pm

i voted no because i still have a sense of self-preservation unlike a lot of other psychotics in the world.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

chever
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 8:48 pm

skafather84 wrote:
i voted no because i still have a sense of self-preservation unlike a lot of other psychotics in the world.

Actually a lot of the behavior that would make a nuclear holocaust fitting is a function of self-preservation. And, ironically, misguided efforts at self-preservation will probably cause it to happen.

When I figured that out I knew what I wanted to do with my life

"You've been a very naughty species"

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:07 pm

chever wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Actually a lot of the behavior that would make a nuclear holocaust fitting is a function of self-preservation. And, ironically, misguided efforts at self-preservation will probably cause it to happen.

when you keep saying you deserve it, there's a reluctance to prevent it from happening. and using nukes very obviously is not self-preservation. "the only way to not lose is to not play". which is why i get so disgusted when people like obama or bush threaten to use nukes on iran knowing fully well that'd draw attacks back on us and quite possibly a nuke or two from russia at us.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:15 pm

Umm, what the hell?

chever
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:18 pm

skafather84 wrote:
when you keep saying you deserve it, there's a reluctance to prevent it from happening. and using nukes very obviously is not self-preservation. "the only way to not lose is to not play".

Oh yeah I agree entirely

Unfortunately, not many people seem to understand that fact, which is why my blood boils everyday

I sort of regret belonging to this species

skafather84 wrote:
which is why i get so disgusted when people like obama or bush threaten to use nukes on iran knowing fully well that'd draw attacks back on us and quite possibly a nuke or two from russia at us.

It might very well be that computers will have a good understanding of formal games in the next 50 years, and will use it accordingly

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:22 pm

I can't believe the "yes" is winning. :roll:

That alone makes me want to switch my vote. People piss me the f**k off.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:27 pm

I vote yes.

People suck.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:28 pm

twoshots wrote:
I can't believe the "yes" is winning. :roll:

That alone makes me want to switch my vote. People piss me the f**k off.

Yeah me too

With any luck we'll all be stone cold dead in the next two centuries, so don't worry overmuch.

In fact, even though there's only so much I can do personally, I will do my best to succeed academically and land a career running experimental projects for the defense industry to help make sure it happens.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:32 pm

Yes, I see commitment to the cause! How awesome!

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:34 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I vote yes.

People suck.

Maybe, but how are you deriving a collective dessert of "perish in a nuclear holocaust"? Individuals "deserve" things; they cannot inherit that kind of deserving from a category they are in because humanity can't be killed without killing the individuals who are real while humanity is not so much. Or are you simply implying that every individual deserves to be nuked?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:35 pm

twoshots wrote:
Maybe, but how are you deriving a collective dessert of "perish in a nuclear holocaust"? Individuals "deserve" things; they cannot inherit that kind of deserving from a category they are in because humanity can't be killed without killing the individuals who are real while humanity is not so much. Or are you simply implying that every individual deserves to be nuked?

Yes, actually I am implying that every individual deserves to be nuked.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:38 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

That might be pretty cool

In fact you might say that it's to die for

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 9:41 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
twoshots wrote:

Intriguing. Your derivation of this proposition is?