Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

aspiedaisy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2008, 12:16 pm

Looking for a job in Telecom industry ..An I.T graduate...... Previously I was with Vodafone Switch for one month.. I din't tell my boss that I'm an Aspie..that guy thought that I was a normal one and wanted me to be more active like everyone I was unable to explain what was going on ..... all happened and I din't have any other way at that time than to quit...Still searching for a job ...guys any similar incidents.. I don't have any idea now.. :? Typing error so edited

Last edited by aspiedaisy on 02 Sep 2008, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

watcheroftheskies
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2008, 12:42 pm

i got a written diagnosis for those situations.. but i never used it and i dont want to.. still it might be helpful if i need it..
do you have a diagnosis? it makes it a little easier i guess

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 2:04 pm

I fail to see the logic in quitting a company because you have Aspergers or insisting that your boss know. There is absolutely no reason to tell anyone at work you have Aspergers. You think by telling someone that it will allow you to have a meltdown and blow up on other employees and get away with it? It doesn't, there is no such law that protects people in that way even if they consider themselves disabled. You have to learn to behave properly like anyone else. Trust me even Voc Rehab tells clients you should not notify employeers that you are on the autistic spectrum.

watcheroftheskies
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2008, 3:58 pm

Ticker - is that what you would do? meltdown and blow up? if you are here you probably know something about aspergers, and there are somethings we are unable to do because of it.. me for example, i wish i had the diagnosis when teachers forced me to do group works in school. the diagnosis would not allow me to cause damage to someone else without punishment, it would protect me from being damaged by everyone else.. it is not about protection, and it is not about an excuse, it is about being respected the way we are..
You have to learn to behave properly like anyone else, you say, but
that is exactly the point, not being able to behave like everyone else, that is the whole point, if it wasn´t stronger than us, none of this would be necessary.. as long as we try behaving like everyone else, we are going to get segregated, labeled as weird, the old story i bet most people here have known all their lives..

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2010, 9:02 pm

Well, if an employer or company discriminates against you because of AS issues, just remember, you have the law on your side. Find an employment attorney or a civil rights attorney to represent you in this situation, so you can be able to score a job with the company you are trying to apply a job to, or maybe this can be a lesson to the company's policies. If this is the case, the company must soften their laws and be open to hiring people of other differences. Sometimes people with AS can be really great at what they do, seriously.