Do you have a special relationship with object?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Sep 2008, 10:51 am

I am very attached to some object, well a lot.
recently, my brother gave my son an action man doll, (one my brother used to play with).
And my nieces came the other day, and broke it.
I was terribly upset, not because of the doll, but what it meant...

Every teddy bear we've got has a story. There is the one i received when i was born, the one my daughter had when she went the first to the hospital, the one my daughter bought for her brother... It is very hard to get rid of them.

I've got stones which i want to keep because i found them, or my children gave them to me.

I''ve got so many things, which i dont really need, but i am very attached to them for what they mean to me

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨¯`·.`.~*

Being me is great!

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 10:56 am

i used to find some stone i mean not really a stone more like a you know something you use to make floor whatever dunno how to pronounce it anyway i whas very attached to it a frew months calld it my "lucky stone" and i really beleved it worked but i lost it later and suddenly i felt very bad
*edit: i whas like 8 years (whas in second grade) :(

Last edited by UndercoverAlien on 04 Sep 2008, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

aintnowreck
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2008, 10:57 am

My guitars and shortwave receiver are quite important to me.

I'd be lost without them.

There are also a few books and pieces of clothing that I just
can't throw away.

Seashells as well.

But nothing too weird or fancy, except for a flattened dime (crushed by a train) that I found fascinating as a kid but I lost it.

I think humanity as a whole likes the security and comfort of particular and personnal objects. Strong and pleasant memories are what make us happy. It's just not an Aspie thing.

I'd need also to add my laptop... :wink:

Music saved my life, musicians ruined it.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 10:58 am

UndercoverAlien wrote:
i used to find some stone i mean not really a stone more like a you know something you use to make floor whatever dunno how to pronounce it anyway i whas very attached to it a frew months calld it my "lucky stone" and i really beleved it worked but i lost it later and suddenly i felt very bad

it's my story too. but i called it 'gratitude rock', from The Secret :)

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 11:00 am

tomamil wrote:
UndercoverAlien wrote:

it's my story too. but i called it 'gratitude rock', from The Secret :)

lol doesnt it feel so very wierd like it whas some sort of super-valuable item worth miljons

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 11:07 am

I've always been very attached to my things. I'm probably more attached to my "things" than I have ever been to any person. It pretty much encompasses everything I own.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 11:11 am

My first hammer. What? I'm a carpenter - runs in the family.

cursed_brunette
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2008, 11:31 am

I think... (from my experience & observations, anyway)

Some items are kept because~

of the memory they hold (emotional attachment)

the objects usefullness.now or in the furture. (practicality)

Some people are pack rats (OCDism)

sometimes: people keep their things because they don't want anyone else to have it. (Coveting Goods)

I am sure there are many more reasons, however, of "Why" peeople keep stuff...

I am the opposite ..

I am a throw-away-er... I hate stuff... It is clutter... More to clean... more to keep track of...

I keep very little.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 12:38 pm

I can't get rid of anything easily. I get way too attached to things! Weird fact, I used to sleep with a dictionary against my face because I liked the soft feel and the smell of the pages...

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 12:46 pm

A model of the Tucker Automobile. I purchased it from the Franklin Mint in the USA back in1990. I keep it stashed away, and I love to get it out and admire the detail.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Sep 2008, 2:20 pm

I never throw away anything. One time when I was younger I kept a potato (i have no idea why) for weeks until my mum found it and threw it away and I was really upset about it!

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 2:28 pm

Yes! I am obsessed with my Pyle bear, he is a teddy bear modeled off a character from Full Metal Jacket, and I take him with me almost everywhere. (Usually he's stowed away though so others can't see.)
I am very attached to my cowboy hat and a tree I see on the way to my classes. It looks like a crouching monster or something so I say hi to it every time I pass.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 2:31 pm

__biro wrote:
I never throw away anything. One time when I was younger I kept a potato (i have no idea why) for weeks until my mum found it and threw it away and I was really upset about it!

I laughed when I read this. Replace the potato with a lemon and you have my story! When Mum found it under my bed, it was brown, shrivelled and solid! I cried for days :lol:

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 2:33 pm

__biro wrote:

ROFLMAOWPIMP!! !
Aurore wrote:
Yes! I am obsessed with my Pyle bear, he is a teddy bear modeled off a character from Full Metal Jacket, and I take him with me almost everywhere. (Usually he's stowed away though so others can't see.)
I am very attached to my cowboy hat and a tree I see on the way to my classes. It looks like a crouching monster or something so I say hi to it every time I pass.

lol yet another funny one :) keep this topic turning :P

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 5:14 pm

when I seen this thread, objectum sexuals came to mind (people who would rather be married to an object, instead of a human) believe it or not there are about 40 people around the world who are like this, the most notable ones are Eija-riitta Berliner-mauer(she married the berlin wall in berlin,germany) andEricka La tour Eiffel (married to the Eiffel tower in france)as well as one named Amy who is in love with a carnival ride at an amusement park.

note: not all objectum sexuals have sex or do anything sexual with their object lover,

there is a video of the documentry called "married to the eiffel tower" the content in the film may not be for little kids due to the director asking umm, personal questions to the people interviewed.

to get to it go to www.veoh.com, then in search type in "married to the eiffel tower" (the film is in 2 parts)

me personally, i feel most attached to my door closers. i have loved them since i found my first closer back in 1996 (screen door type) and i hate seeing one getting tossed out or damaged, makes me sad to witness things like that.

I do moderate myself with how many I have. I have 3 commercial ones soo far and try not to get too extreme,might take up too much space and then have more closers then room for.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 5:25 pm

Longest items have been in my continuous possession are 2 Steiff Hedgehogs (Mikki & Mekki) from Germany that I've had since I can remember. They are not the most attractive stuffed animals, but they are about my age (45 or 46). The person who gave them to me always presented me with the ugliest of toys. She once gave me a marrionette puppet that was so repulsive, I threw it out right after she left! It was even uglier than me! LOL I've kept the 2 Steiff figures because they're so different! Guess you could say I have a special relationship to them.

I also have a collection of Breyer model horses that I've had since I was a kid. Though none are nearly as old as the Steiff stuffed hedgehogs.

Also, I rarely go anywhere without a camera in hand! I have 2 digital cameras...1 is a point & shoot & easier to transport, but it's my DSLR that has become my fave camera (had it for 2 1/2 years now). A lot of times if I feel a little out of sorts in my enviroment, I resort to taking photographs. never really thought about it before, but I must have a special relationship with cameras as I have had one or several since I was in my early teens.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive