Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2004, 10:58 pm

:D

And it is the perfect job for an aspie - a 911 operator - so I get to help people, but never have to worry about eye contact (except with co-workers, but that can't be helped unless you work at home) and I never have to form deep relationships - we are talking 5-10 minutes with each person tops . . .
Oh - and I will probably be working nights - even better!

My parents are not thrilled as they think the job is 'below' me - but it pays good and I think it is perfect - and the best part is that it doesn't start until 7/19 so I have two and a half weeks of 'fun time' to go to and do some stuff I want to (like go to the zoo and get a squished penny from there - you know those things they have at a lot of public attractions) and finish up this quilt I'm working on . . .

Wow! I'm stunned . . . I wish I had a live person to tell, but you guys will work also . . .

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2004, 11:06 pm

Congratulations! I got a job for the first time in a couple of years a few weeks ago. I'm working a lot now, but it's okay because I need the money.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2004, 1:49 am

Being a 911 operator seems a great job. It is cool to help people this way. So congratulations.
I also got a job recently - I was told yesterday night actually. This is a part-time job so I can continue my studies at the same time. I will work as a translator for the website of an online shop which sells movies products. The webmaster and owner of the shop is a man I met online and I have already translated one of his websites.

Loy

flamingjune
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2004, 2:09 am

I hope it goes well. It sounds like a job that will be extremely rewarding in a personal sense.
I wanted to be a nurse, but I'm so against touching people it'd never do. I never even thought about doing 911. Let me know how it goes, I might like to try that myself...

Taineyah
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2004, 7:17 am

Best of luck with your job. It sounds great!! !! !! !! and remember, no job is below you, ever. Aspies (in general) are theoretically a lot more intellectually capable than is practical because we just can't relate. I don't know if that sentence makes sense, but what I'm trying to say is that, although we are very smart, we can't always use that intelligence in a practical application because we can't always get our points across in a polite manner in face to face encounters.

I hope that made sense and didn't come across as insulting. I just think that people, like our parents, put too much pressure on us because we are intelligent people and we get bogged down trying to live up to unreasonable expectations.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2004, 11:19 am

Flamingjune - you sound like me a lot - I've always loved criminology and police work and paramedics and stuff like that - but I don't think I could be on THAT end of things - right there with people while they are hurt or dying or something - there would be too many sounds and sights and flashing lights . . . I had thought about nursing or being a Dr. or even a vet, too, but, same thing - too much to process at once . . . and also, can you think about how many facial expressions and eye contact you'd have to interepret at once?!
BUT 911 - you are on the phone and your job is very set out - you find out what is wrong and where the person is and then you send someone to help them . . . and maybe talk to them for a little while to help them feel better . . . so that is perfect . . . all the helping with none of the scary stuff

TyroneShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2004, 11:31 am

Hi Animallover

Molto Congratulations on your new job! Your theoretical understanding of human behaviour would make you quite an asset in such a position, I daresay. Strangely enough, I secured a permanent teaching position in the special education class of my former high-school - needless to say, all is good in the world! QUICK ASPIES! APPLY FOR JOBS BEFORE OUR LUCK RUNS OUT :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done once more

Tyrone Shoelaces

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2004, 11:21 pm

That is great! I think special education is a perfect place too, for obvious reasons . . .
This is funny - before I found out about this job, the special olympics called me for a donation - and I do like them, but I nearly hung up on them because I didn't have a job, but I literally thought 'Oh, wait, some of those people have something very similar to me . . .' so I said I'd give them $10

My reasoning just made me laugh . . .