UK THE NATIONAL AUTISTIC SOCIETY - PROSPECTS

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2008, 7:08 am

What do people think of the service for getting employment?

I think there are serious flawes but there are successes. There should be more local support, transparancy and listening although they are changing. I could not do Prospects because my county council did not have the money but I got no support. It is the best service for people with asperger syndrome, others such as Remploy, RBLI, the job centre and university careers services are worse.

It does ot work for the following reasons.

1)If a person's social skill and/or communication skills are not up to scratch and one loses the job, Prospects will ot help you, what do the poor people do?

2) If a person is a neuro diverse (add, adhd, dyspraxia), Prospects do not accunt of this.

3) The vacancies tend to be administration and occasionally in the National Autistic Society.

4)It is best to use the service if one has a childhood diagnosis of AS or one is diagnosed with AS before one has completed their education.

5)It is best to live in London because there are more vacancies, easier to get support, alo it is not worth the time, money and effort to work in a low paid, low skilled job if one does not live in London.

6)If one has high skills, higher education, high intelligence Prospects will not necessary enable you to use those skills. If one cannot the highly competitive nature of the graduate job market, one is not a recent graduate there may be a problem if one does not want to use their education.