Fandom offers new perspective on Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Seanybaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2005, 10:38 am

This movie called Fandom that I read an article about (which will probably get moved like so many other of my topics accordingly) is a disturbing yet interesting take on what happens when Autistics get to meet their fave celeb. Read below:

http://www.absolutely.net/movie/2004_Fandom.html

It's ironic because I have an obsession over said actress as well (nearly embarassed myself on a fansite too, not knowing it wasn't "official"). If it turns out she was creeped by the autistic then that'll puzzle me dearly. She graduated from Harvard, has a degree in psychology, and to be creeped out by someone like him? Ludicrous. He's just misunderstood and taken advantage of by the two guys who sent him while filming the movie.

One wonders.....I may have to write either a nasty letter to the filmmakers or a reasonable one to the actress herself. It's a crime to have an auty as a guinea pig for a film experiment, but I guess Hollywood is full of it, so it doesn't really matter to them.

Seanybaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2005, 5:15 pm

Well now that I read through it more I feel insulted..... :roll:

Seanybaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2005, 1:02 pm

I don't understand.....my topic is still up here and nobody is responding. :?

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 1:14 pm

Seanybaby wrote:
I don't understand.....my topic is still up here and nobody is responding. :?

There is a lot of stuff that does not get responded to Seanybaby. It just depends on who is online and what they tend to read and reply to.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 1:16 pm

Well, I just saw the topic now - will read the article and post reply.

Weird that I didn't see it before.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 5:42 pm

Gordon is not really an aspie. He's way too emotional about meeting Portman. In fact, it's hinted that he can't handle it.

While there probably are Aspies who get stuck on people (unusual due to lack of theory of mind an socialization issues I suppose, but within the realm of possibility) and such behavior could come across as stalking, it's different from fandom. Aspies seem to seem knowledge & understanding, not emotional highs.

That article can be construted as insulting, possibly.

Seanybaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2005, 7:33 am

Larval wrote:
Gordon is not really an aspie. He's way too emotional about meeting Portman. In fact, it's hinted that he can't handle it.

While there probably are Aspies who get stuck on people (unusual due to lack of theory of mind an socialization issues I suppose, but within the realm of possibility) and such behavior could come across as stalking, it's different from fandom. Aspies seem to seem knowledge & understanding, not emotional highs.

That article can be construted as insulting, possibly.

Actually I just found that out. Yeah it is insulting, especially when considering we aspies are more observant about celebs than we are really "obsessed" about them. Still what can we do? We're powerless compared to Hollywood unless they do something completely wrong (Jacko raped kids and got away with it partially due to the fact that it happens with a lot of Hollywooders who commit crimes and are still in the business afterwards)