musicman2059
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2008, 3:59 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Venger wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

In the church I go to, where the youth meet there's a still functioning Super Mario Bros arcade machine... it's epic...

Isn't the arcade version a bit different from the NES cartridge? One difference I remember is the 6-7-8 Warpzone only goes to World 6 in the arcade version.

Actually only world 5, and it's not achieved through a pipe, but rather in a manner similar to the world 1 "run across the ceiling" approach...

Both the 6-7-8 and the 5 warpzone were in world 4-2. I'm guessing by this you mean that the 6-7-8 was added for the NES version of the game? (Or removed from the arcade game, depending on which came first.)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 9:35 am

That is what I meant.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 1:28 pm

Ticker wrote:
I really wish they would re-release Q-Bert, Pengo, Moon Buggy and Frogger for DS.

There's a Konami arcade collection for GBA that has Frogger on it, but I think you're out of luck with those other games (short of getting a flashcart, anyhow).

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 2:31 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
There's a Konami arcade collection for GBA that has Frogger on it, but I think you're out of luck with those other games (short of getting a flashcart, anyhow).

I found places to download the Pengo game. However when I had my computer custom built to save money I told them I wouldn't be gaming on it so now I can't play computer games. :(

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 2:42 pm

"Dig it, dig it! Dig Dug!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLvuMwqF-JI[/youtube]

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 7:53 pm

musicman2059 wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
Venger wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

In the church I go to, where the youth meet there's a still functioning Super Mario Bros arcade machine... it's epic...

Isn't the arcade version a bit different from the NES cartridge? One difference I remember is the 6-7-8 Warpzone only goes to World 6 in the arcade version.

Actually only world 5, and it's not achieved through a pipe, but rather in a manner similar to the world 1 "run across the ceiling" approach...

Both the 6-7-8 and the 5 warpzone were in world 4-2. I'm guessing by this you mean that the 6-7-8 was added for the NES version of the game? (Or removed from the arcade game, depending on which came first.)

He was asking if the arcade version was different from the NES version and I was giving him the stats about it on the arcade version...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 8:37 pm

I do real retro gaming- chess. All of these fancy games that require electricity... that's not retro.

Prosser wrote:
Anyone play Pong? I don't, I just want to know if anyone else does.

In OS X I used to have a Pong clone. It wasn't bad.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:33 pm

Speaking of retro I just discovered a game disc I have for Windows 3.1 with over 300 games on it. Its called Galaxy of Games 3. It was wild looking at the games and seeing how far programming has progressed.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 2:21 pm

Ticker wrote:
I found places to download the Pengo game. However when I had my computer custom built to save money I told them I wouldn't be gaming on it so now I can't play computer games. :(

You can play games, you just probably have integrated Intel graphics, so you can't play the latest graphics intensive 3D games with pixel shaders 2.0 and what not...I'm pretty sure running Pengo on MAME will be no problem ;)

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 6:07 pm

Orwell wrote:
I do real retro gaming- chess. All of these fancy games that require electricity... that's not retro.

Except some don't require electricity...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0LtUX_6IXY[/youtube]

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2008, 12:20 am

Nothing beats Atari 2600.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 1:35 pm

i have to admit i like a bit of retro every now and then, it doesn't matter what games they bring out nothing can beat teenage mutant ninja turtles on the nes, it has to be one of my all time favourite games.

i've got a favourite game for almost every console but when it comes to retro there seems to be such a great distance between what's poor and what's great.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 1:37 am

I'm into retro gaming . . . I'm playing Startropics for NES (Wii Virtual Console)

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 12:28 am

gbollard wrote:
I still love those cute Sierra games like King's Quest 1-8, Space Quest 1-6?, Leisure Suit Larry 1-6 (minus 4), Phantasmagoria 1 and 2 etc...

Also... Ultima 1-8 were pretty good too.

I recently played the french version of space quest 4...

Have you played "the 7th guest" or "the 11th hour"?

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 12:16 pm

The 7th Guest was a great game but its sequel, The 11th Hour, was a horrible game.

bricklaya
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2008, 7:01 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
Like the NES, Sega Genesis, etc.

I've got emulators on my computers for NES, SNES, N64, Sega, Colico Vision, Atari, Comodore(sp?), and hundreds of games to go with them. HUNDREDS.

It's awesome.