Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Scotty1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2008, 12:37 pm

Hello Everyone,
I was hoping that some of you may be able to suggest an AS support group, treatment, or therapy that would be available in eastern Pennsylvania.
This would be for someone who is high functioning, but would like to improve social skills.
Thanks.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Dec 2008, 1:07 pm

im not going to support groups for people with Aspergers here, for obvious reasons that someone from wp goes im shure. mary j. blige had it right with a beautiful voice when she said "no drama in my life please!"

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2008, 1:43 pm

http://www.k12academics.com/pa_assyorg.htm

I live in UK and I attend asperger's sopport youth group, and it's quite fun.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 2:59 pm

I had the opportunity to attend a workshop for AS students at the university I'm attending, cept I had classes at that time.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 4:17 pm

I'm not in your area; but I do benefit from some AS social groups.

Try to find a "social group" not a "therapy group"--the difference being that with group therapy it's more talking about your social problems; with a social group it's just getting together with some other oddballs and either a facilitator or group leader or (in the case of teen groups) a chaperone/mentor type. You can't practice social skills unless you actually, well, practice them. Oh, yeah, with an adult group you're probably going to find parents mixed in with the autistic types; they'll probably be OK. Actually, a lot of them will be quirky too. It's kind of interesting to see somebody come in for a three year old kid who's just been diagnosed and you get the Aspie vibes off them. Heh. :)

The "drama" type of thing will happen in group therapy but I've never seen it happen in a hang-out or support type group (but then, I've never been at a curebie group; I'm told it happens all the time there and I really wish it wouldn't because can you imagine being a new autism mom and having to listen to that stuff?). I agree, too, that drama doesn't help anybody much. It's embarrassing for everybody involved. Either focus on hanging out in a non-threatening environment, or focus on solving practical problems (the people at my group are forever trying to hash out IEPs, actually). If you want to build social skills, you've got to actually interact with people, and group therapy is SO not a natural environment.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Scotty1

16 Dec 2008, 12:13 am

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I think that I would like to try out a support group. I guess the trick is trying to find one. Can any of you lead me to some sort of directory or some idea how to find one.

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2008, 1:41 am

Scotty1 wrote:
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I think that I would like to try out a support group. I guess the trick is trying to find one. Can any of you lead me to some sort of directory or some idea how to find one.

Yeh, I gave You a link to organisations in Your area; You just have to browse throuh the website

Scotty1

16 Dec 2008, 9:57 am

ReGiFroFoLa,
I read your post but skipped right over the link. Thanks. Your link was exactly what I was looking for.

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2008, 10:17 am

Scotty1 wrote:
ReGiFroFoLa,
I read your post but skipped right over the link. Thanks. Your link was exactly what I was looking for.

I'm glad You found there some info suitable for You :)