Bad Reaction by Classmates / Class Discussion on Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ScherezadeJM
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2009, 6:34 pm

At my school, I'm in an advanced program called the International Baccalaureate. We have a class called Theory of Knowledge, which is somewhat like philosophy; we discuss how language affects perception, culture, and emotion. This week we are doing a reading for a seminar by Temple Grandin, an autistic woman. She writes a lot about how her emotions are different from others'. The students in my class did not know about my being an Aspie until today, when I told them during this discussion. They all kept talking about being "normal" and they kept saying that "autistic emotions are animalistic." At some point they even said Autistic people were more like animals than people. I was so offended!
There was a section of the text devoted to Aspies' perception of emotions, and I wanted to talk about it, but my classmates would not listen. When I finally said told them I was an Aspie and they should listen to me about this topic, the whole class shut up and stared at me as if I were a freak. Later on, at lunch, one of my classmates came up to me and told me how amazing it was that I was still able to function in a school setting. I swear, I saw red! I tried to explain to her that Asperger's affects my abilities to relate to others and to read emotions, not my intellectual abilities at all, but she just nodded patronizingly and left.
Why are people like this? There was a freaking section of the text about Asperger's, if they read it they should know that my intellectual capacities are just as good, if not better, than theirs. Why do they prefer to focus on one thing ("OMG, it's like Autism!") rather than on the whole? It really, really bugs me. Tomorrow I have to go back to that class and continue the seminar, and I'm afraid people are going to keep trying to apply whatever we discuss to me. Why, why, why are teens so selective in their listening? And why, oh, why, am I stuck in a class full of neurotypicals who are so full of themselves?

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 6:38 pm

ScherezadeJM wrote:
At my school, I'm in an advanced program called the International Baccalaureate. We have a class called Theory of Knowledge, which is somewhat like philosophy; we discuss how language affects perception, culture, and emotion. This week we are doing a reading for a seminar by Temple Grandin, an autistic woman. She writes a lot about how her emotions are different from others'. The students in my class did not know about my being an Aspie until today, when I told them during this discussion. They all kept talking about being "normal" and they kept saying that "autistic emotions are animalistic." At some point they even said Autistic people were more like animals than people. I was so offended!
There was a section of the text devoted to Aspies' perception of emotions, and I wanted to talk about it, but my classmates would not listen. When I finally said told them I was an Aspie and they should listen to me about this topic, the whole class shut up and stared at me as if I were a freak. Later on, at lunch, one of my classmates came up to me and told me how amazing it was that I was still able to function in a school setting. I swear, I saw red! I tried to explain to her that Asperger's affects my abilities to relate to others and to read emotions, not my intellectual abilities at all, but she just nodded patronizingly and left.
Why are people like this? There was a freaking section of the text about Asperger's, if they read it they should know that my intellectual capacities are just as good, if not better, than theirs. Why do they prefer to focus on one thing ("OMG, it's like Autism!") rather than on the whole? It really, really bugs me. Tomorrow I have to go back to that class and continue the seminar, and I'm afraid people are going to keep trying to apply whatever we discuss to me. Why, why, why are teens so selective in their listening? And why, oh, why, am I stuck in a class full of neurotypicals who are so full of themselves?

people choose to listen to what they want to listen for many reasons in that setting it may just be peer pressure from being perceived as different. It's ok if you still show strength in who you are they will forget it the more emotional reactions you give though will give them an opening to start issues with you.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2009, 8:21 pm

ScherezadeJM wrote:
There was a section of the text devoted to Aspies' perception of emotions, and I wanted to talk about it, but my classmates would not listen. When I finally said told them I was an Aspie and they should listen to me about this topic, the whole class shut up and stared at me as if I were a freak. Later on, at lunch, one of my classmates came up to me and told me how amazing it was that I was still able to function in a school setting.Why are people like this? There was a freaking section of the text about Asperger's, if they read it they should know that my intellectual capacities are just as good, if not better, than theirs.

Most likely you were the first person they met who had autism. For some reason, putting a face to the label has more impact by far on people than just reading about it. Another curious thing I've noticed is that, like you said, sometimes I'll tell people I can function as good as they do, it takes awhile to sink in.

ScherezadeJM wrote:
Why do they prefer to focus on one thing ("OMG, it's like Autism!") rather than on the whole?

I know what you mean. So they gave you the old double take reaction. As in, "no way!You can't have autism! I mean...you're talking! (*gasp* Who would've thought? :lol:) On the bright side this means you have an idea of their preconceptions--and from there can decide how to maneuver.

ScherezadeJM wrote:
Tomorrow I have to go back to that class and continue the seminar, and I'm afraid people are going to keep trying to apply whatever we discuss to me.

That may very well happen. However from what I can gather from your story, they've seen you function at the "norm" for a long time and know your capabilities. More importantly they've seen your capabilities before telling them about autism.This could also prove to be an opportunity to inform others. Again, no one person can represent the autism spectrum, but putting a face to any disorder/difference/ disability-- whatever term you prefer, can have a significant impact for the better.

By the way, that was very brave of you to speak up. Whatever happens, stand tall lady and the best of luck to you!

:D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 8:27 pm

Neurotypicals who are full of themselves, and teens who are selective in their listening ... Really? I'm amazed! Who'd have thunk it? :wink:

Seriously, you are immersed in an NT/Teen environment, and I do not envy you in the least. I hope that you can endure to the end of the seminar without the others making you miserable, or the instructor using you as an example (or worse, expecting you to help teach without being paid).

Best wishes!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Italianwolf77
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 8:48 pm

I'd break the kid's nose if they said that to me. If I didn't, my friends would once they heard about that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 9:01 pm

Italianwolf77 wrote:
I'd break the kid's nose if they said that to me. If I didn't, my friends would once they heard about that.

Thus re-enforcing the stereotype among NTs that Aspies and Auties are violence-prone sociopaths who are just as likely to assault someone as look at them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Italianwolf77
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 9:38 pm

lol. I don't care for stereotypes, and ignore them. They are all a load of BS. If someone wants to believe a stereotype, then let them. Its their choice to believe a lie. Honestly, my friends and I are protective of one another, and would probably do that for one another. Me and my friends have fought in defense of each other numerous times.

ScherezadeJM
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2009, 11:07 pm

Thanks, guys, this really helps. It's just nice to be able to come home and get on WP and realize that I AM NOT ALONE. You'd think I was some freak case nobody'd ever heard speak about before or something, based on the reactions I got. Grrr...

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 12:43 am

ScherezadeJM wrote:
Why are people like this? ................Why, why, why are teens so selective in their listening? And why, oh, why, am I stuck in a class full of neurotypicals who are so full of themselves?

There are none so blind as those who will not see

As I remember, school was always like this - and coincidentally, so is the real world.

There's nothing that you can do to change the minds of people who have already decided what to believe. Ignore them and work on the unconverted.