Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2009, 10:32 pm

Question # 1:

Anyone live life as a dichotomy (one extreme to the other)?

For example, today someone was complaining about only one pot of coffee being made at a certain time and I spoke up and said, “I think it was me, where all the coffee pot handles facing forward?” After the ritual jokes about being like Monk (tv character) and such, I tried to explain that I don’t necessarily straighten everything all the time, just some things at some times and usually I am either one or the other—very organized or very messy.

It seems like quite a few things in life (for me) are like that. Anyone else?

Question # 2:

Okay, this is a big one. Does anyone else find that they really aren’t bothered by personal insult as much as they are consistency?

For example, imagine you are to meet a person on Monday for lunch and are late and they refuse to excuse you, but on Tuesday they are now late and ask to be excused for being late. I wouldn’t be upset they are late, but instead upset that they wanted to be excused when they refused to excuse me under the same circumstances. It’s almost like I’m more upset by a breach of justice per se than I am any actual personal insult.

Is anyone else like this?

Question # 3:

Okay, this is an extension of # 2.

Does anyone else find it impossible to hold a grudge or stay angry for long periods of time (meaning more than a few hours)? While it sounds like some admirable trait, I find that I even after being very upset with people, at some point later—even without a formal apology—I am prone to befriend them again as if the previous incident either never happened or was trivial (even if it wasn’t). I think this may be linked to not necessarily personalizing offenses, but being angry or upset over injustice in general.

Thanks, just curious and learning about meself.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Question # 1:

No, not really.
Quote:
Question # 2:

Okay, this is a big one. Does anyone else find that they really aren’t bothered by personal insult as much as they are consistency?

Yes.
Quote:
Question # 3:

Does anyone else find it impossible to hold a grudge or stay angry for long periods of time (meaning more than a few hours)?

Pretty much. I seem to be incapable of hate.

halfawake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2009, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Question # 1:

No.

Quote:
Question # 2:

Yes, but I feel like I need to elaborate a bit because I am bothered by personal insults in the sense that I want to understand why someone insulted me.

Quote:
Question # 3:

Does anyone else find it impossible to hold a grudge or stay angry for long periods of time (meaning more than a few hours)?

Yes.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:06 pm

KazigluBey wrote:
Question # 1:

Question # 2:

Question # 3:

Does anyone else find it impossible to hold a grudge or stay angry for long periods of time (meaning more than a few hours)? While it sounds like some admirable trait, I find that I even after being very upset with people, at some point later—even without a formal apology—I am prone to befriend them again as if the previous incident either never happened or was trivial (even if it wasn’t). I think this may be linked to not necessarily personalizing offenses, but being angry or upset over injustice in general.

Yes to all three. As far as holding a grudge, I have to be kicked in the teeth repeatedly before I remember to stop letting that person have the chance to do it again.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:12 pm

KazigluBey wrote:
Question # 1:

For example, today someone was complaining about only one pot of coffee being made at a certain time and I spoke up and said, “I think it was me, where all the coffee pot handles facing forward?” After the ritual jokes about being like Monk (tv character) and such, I tried to explain that I don’t necessarily straighten everything all the time, just some things at some times and usually I am either one or the other—very organized or very messy.

It seems like quite a few things in life (for me) are like that. Anyone else?

YEP!

KazigluBey wrote:
Question # 2:

For example, imagine you are to meet a person on Monday for lunch and are late and they refuse to excuse you, but on Tuesday they are now late and ask to be excused for being late. I wouldn’t be upset they are late, but instead upset that they wanted to be excused when they refused to excuse me under the same circumstances. It’s almost like I’m more upset by a breach of justice per se than I am any actual personal insult.

Is anyone else like this?

YEP!

KazigluBey wrote:

Question # 3:

Thanks, just curious and learning about meself.
[/quote]

I basically act that way, but I DON'T forget! I don't even forgive.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:50 pm

1) Nope, I'm geared towards the average rather than the exceptional - Jethro Tull....;)

2) strangely enough, I don't get insulted much any more. I tend to turn it into a joke back on the insultee...;)

3) Holding a grudge gets too heavy. I tend to drop it if it gets to a problem.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:55 pm

KazigluBey wrote:

This example indicates that the person considers their own time far more important than anyone else's time... It also indicates that, since they perceive time that way, they also perceive people that way. In other words "who are you? I'm a big important person! My concerns are important! Your concerns are trivial!" It falls under the heading of narcissism and no it shouldn't be tolerated.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 12:39 am

I'm not sure about(question) number one. I have behavior not unlike that but I'm not entirely sure it's the same thing .

I struggle with organizing, and with tidying and cleaning tasks generally, and am generally very messy. But I also have compulsions to 'organize/arrange'. For instance, in shops I often feel compelled to, and become engrossed in 'sorting/lining-up merchandise (where the display/shelf has clear structure, and is orderly other than a few products having fallen down in place, or where has one or two items that have been put back closely to where they belong but not actually in their own product niche/line). The urge is highly compelling, and being interrupted (for instance by my partner who does not want to wait around for me to finish) and not allowed to complete the arranging is quite wrenching and discomforting.

Last edited by pandd on 10 Jan 2009, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2009, 1:28 am

Yes definitely to question one.

Yes kind of to question two (because I have a friend who is always late to meet me, and I still get annoyed about this even though he is being quite consistent - so it depends on the situation).

I don't know to question three (but given my naivete, most probably yes).