Page 3 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 5:43 pm

ignisfatuus wrote:

;)

Quote:
there are lots of ways to avoid that 'atrophy', though....like coming here and having interesting chats with people....i also read constantly, am always looking for new books, shows, movies, documentaries about subjects i am interested in....i download lectures about different subjects i want to know more about, research on the internet, read articles, do puzzles and memory exercises, etc etc...so there are lots of options available

I read constantly, and while human company will almost never reach the joy I derive from Samuel Butler or Tolstoy, it is still a necessary thing. We are social creatures and face to face contact cannot be simulated. It kind of goes back to Maslow's over referenced hierarchy of needs. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't make it past the bottom two, and I suspect a lot of individuals with AS are in the same boat (we're not as unique as we like to think). Humans are social creatures, it as fundamental as water.

What's that silhouette picture supposed to be? A leprechaun being offered a chicken leg on a plate ... with a line through it? :?

irikarah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2009, 5:57 pm

I'm never really sure how I feel about being a recluse. I go for weeks without leaving my apartment, sometimes months, except to take care of certain responsibilities or run errands. Most people I know have pretty much given up on trying to drag me out, which I can kind of understand, since I tend to avoid making concrete plans and often come up with reasons not to go out.

On the other hand, I occasionally feel like I need to go out, like I'm a Sims character with a social meter that needs to be recharged. Problem is, it takes about an hour or two of interacting with people to recharge it, and after that, I feel bored and listless and want to go home.

What bothers me is that when I'm at home, I wish I had friends, and when I'm with friends, I wish I were at home. Makes no sense at all, unless maybe I've just drifted apart from my friends, but the idea of having none at all scares me too much to cut off contact entirely?

Sola
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2009, 10:27 pm

People's ways are SO disappointing and heartbreaking. It's because they have 'selfish' motivations.....many people are blinded by their own will and aspirations....to the point where they only see others as a 'tool' and not as a human being. They are sick and unfortunately the 'use/manipulate people' disease is a pandemic. In this disease human beings are seen as 'means' not as dignified 'ends in themselves'. It's ugly. It's dirty.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:33 pm

Sola wrote:
People's ways are SO disappointing and heartbreaking. It's because they have 'selfish' motivations.....many people are blinded by their own will and aspirations....to the point where they only see others as a 'tool' and not as a human being. They are sick and unfortunately the 'use/manipulate people' disease is a pandemic. In this disease human beings are seen as 'means' not as dignified 'ends in themselves'. It's ugly. It's dirty.

So the answer is inevitably ... a shack in the woods ... fertilizer bombs? 8O

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:36 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Sola wrote:

So the answer is inevitably ... a shack in the woods ... fertilizer bombs? 8O

so b/c we have trouble being around people we're all ted kazinski's (sp?) now? wow, that's not insulting. thank you for the judgment. nice.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:38 pm

slowmutant wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
ignisfatuus wrote:
I've learned it's ultimately more detrimental to cut myself off from society than to smile and nod through clenched teeth. That, and I've begun to mentally atrophy without the conversation of others, which frightens me.

there are lots of ways to avoid that 'atrophy', though....like coming here and having interesting chats with people....i also read constantly, am always looking for new books, shows, movies, documentaries about subjects i am interested in....i download lectures about different subjects i want to know more about, research on the internet, read articles, do puzzles and memory exercises, etc etc...so there are lots of options available

None of that is a substitute for human company. I do not understand what is so excruciating about it.

you should avoid passing judgment on things that you admit you don't understand.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:55 pm

Quote:
you should avoid passing judgment on things that you admit you don't understand.

Why don't you take your own advice and refrain from judging me?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 11:08 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

Why don't you take your own advice and refrain from judging me?

as soon as you're done insulting the people participating in this thread, i gladly will :wink:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 11:11 pm

Sola wrote:
People's ways are SO disappointing and heartbreaking. It's because they have 'selfish' motivations.....many people are blinded by their own will and aspirations....to the point where they only see others as a 'tool' and not as a human being. They are sick and unfortunately the 'use/manipulate people' disease is a pandemic.

So very true and well said!!

This is the reason I don't like people anymore. It takes a higher intelligence and wisdom to have the willingness and the resourcefulness to fulfill one's own needs and aspirations without having to tread on other people. Most people don't have these special talents and the only way they know how to fulfill themselves is by hurting others.

Some people are so unintelligent and unwise that they even lack the resourcefulness to come up with a place to have dinner that will satisfy both themselves and their dining companion. Back when I had friends, I remember this type, they were such a frustrating kind to go out with. You had to give in to their whims or impose yourself. It felt more like a power battle than a night in the town.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 11:12 pm

Someone seems to thrive on arguing. :chin: :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 11:35 pm

Damn, I killed it. :scratch: :shrug:

P.S. The above response wasn't meant for everybody.

Those who know, don't speak.

Fluffybunnyfeet
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2009, 1:18 am

arkityp wrote:
but at what point do you look at "society" as a whole, and give up hope? i never feel as i'll be truly able to live the life i want. i don't think i'll have the freedom to go places i might want to go, without fear of confrontations.

I spent 14 years as a total recluse, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Adapting to the lifestyle is difficult, but I found motivation from the need to keep myself safe. In the first few years, I felt very wounded and sensitive. In the following years, I kept to a plan, which became more reassuring the longer I kept to it. There was a lot of peace and warmth in the certainty that things would stay the same, with society uninvolved. In the last couple of years of seclusion I felt that the bad was beginning to outweigh the good, and eventually I asked for help to return to my earlier lifestyle. I consider it more of a development thing, than a 'bad patch'.

What I think is that people change over time, even hermits.

On another line of thinking - hopefully equally valid - ask yourself what you need. Ask yourself what society needs from you. Answering those questions may take some time. A hermitage is a great place to do thinking like that :)

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 3:26 am

jawbrodt wrote:
^In most cases it is related to anxiety or social phobia.

True. :)

Also sensory problems, difficulty processing words, uncontrollable behaviours/compulsions, etc.

Anyway my point being to anyone who doesnt understand this thread, that there can be many reasons why a person is uncomfortable or unhappy around others.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 6:02 am

Many reasons indeed. A real civilisation would recognise the contributions that the neurologically challenged have made to the progress of evolution and be willing to stretch its limits to accomodate them.

Without some sort of right to call a halt to the whisper campaigns and silent destruction that wipe some of us off the social scoreboard there's not a lot of hope. The choice to not participate isn't a sufficient alternative to having a chance to take part.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 4:29 pm

Sola wrote:

yeah this sums it up. i think you're supposed to see them and use them in the same way for it to work, but i don't see people that way, so i just limit my contact with them.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 11:06 pm

Postperson wrote:
A lot of us over 40's live as semi recluses, by that age you've more than had enough of the relentless fault finding, exploitation and outright abuse metred out to those who only look normal.

When I was young however I tried to stay in the game, I think I learnt a lot and progressed more thru doing that, but it took a big toll on my health. I would say I had to opt out for health reasons.

QFT. Well-said. :wink:

I haven't cut myself off completely, I go out when I need to go out...I've just changed the way I handle things, I opt out of of the social events and affairs many NT's deem as "mandatory", I'm no longer playing the game of trying to fit in and be like everyone else...now I'm just me....and I'm less stressed, more relaxed and alot happier.

Alone does not necasarily equal lonely, your life is what you choose it to be...arkityp if you aren't happy, then yes, maybe there is some sort of change you need to make or a different approach you need to take.

If you get a pet, that there are just some animals that do not do well with another animal...they are in essence "loners", they may enjoy your company but become stressed in the company of one of their own species. That is accepted in animals but not in humans...which I feel is a bit ludicrous. When a human is a "loner", they are encouraged to change, or thought of as some potentially bomb-building devient physcopath...we seriously need to lose the stereotypes and generalizations and admit that there are different things that work for different people. One size does not fit all.