Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 10:59 am

I am wondering how common this is in the AS/autism community, how many people here have experienced this. As a child, sometimes when I would get in trouble by my parents or teachers, I would laugh. This would seal my guilt in their eyes, even if I was NOT really guilty. One time my big brother destroyed the walls in one room of our house. He took a putty knife/scraper and used the sharp edge of it to poke holes all over the walls in that room. I came in later and found it, and then my father walked in. All he saw was me standing there with the destroyed walls. Hell, I was in just as much shock as he was!! I didn't know what happened, but my older brother denied it. So it had to fall on me. And I was so upset and scared about getting into trouble over it, but all I could do was laugh. To him, this meant I was guilty. I cried and told him I couldn't have done it, but I was still laughing despite my tears!! This happened many times, including sometimes when my dad spanked me. I would just laugh and my parents would call me evil.

Tony Attwood mentions in his book Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide For Parents and Professsionals, which I am nearly finished reading, that this is actually a common thing for kids with AS. He says one thing parents should know is that kids do not do this on purpose and they are not evil or sick in the head, it's just something many kids with AS do. I can relate very easily to this, because many times when this would happen to me as a child, my mother would tell me I was a sick, evil little brat and I needed to "have my head examineded by a psychiatrist". She threatened me with the psychiatrist thing quite often and it scared the hell out of me. She said they would lock me up and "fix" me.

To me the way my mother reacted was actually emotionally abusive, but I really wish she would have gone through with it because I might have been diagnosed as AS years ago. But then again, that was back in the 80s and the early 90s, so maybe not.

Also whenever someone close to me died, such as my grandparents, my aunt, and one of my uncles, I always expressed my grief the only way I knew to: indifference. It bothered me that they died, but I had no idea how to grieve so I wouldn't appear to have been affected. This also pissed my parents off to no end and they really thought I was evil. They even had me thinking that, perhaps I was evil and I didn't know it. This is another thing Tony Attwood mentions he has seen many times in kids with AS.

Sorry to carry on, but when I read this in the book last night I smiled and told my wife how happy I was to read that. I had already included it in my notes to my psychologist, and I made sure to highlight that spot in my book as well.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 11:19 am

Yes. I can relate 100%. I used to laugh when I was in trouble and really nervous. It’s happened many times. It made a few situations where I was guilty even worse.

I’ve also had problems with crying when I got really pissed off in a few situations in the past. I wasn’t scared or sad. I was just so mad that I started crying and couldn’t help it.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 1:25 pm

When my mom is yelling I have to try really hard not to smile or laugh because she gets this ridiculous look on her face when she's angry. Although she's the only person I've ever seen yelling so perhaps that look is just the look of anger. But still, I have to really fight the urge to bust up laughing every time, and it makes me feel bad because I know she's trying to be serious and vent her frustration but I can't help it.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 1:30 pm

Yeah, I laugh during serious conversations. I once got in trouble at school and was sent to the guidance counselor for "disturbing behavior", but I won't get into the details. She asked me if it were all a joke and I just couldn't help but laugh but really, it wasn't a joke at all. I also always laugh when someone gets hurt, but not seriously injured.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 2:05 pm

I do this sometimes and also when bad things happen I sometimes smile and I cant control it, it's very annoying!

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 4:34 pm

It is also a symptom of schizophrenia.

j0sh wrote:
Yes. I can relate 100%. I used to laugh when I was in trouble and really nervous. It’s happened many times. It made a few situations where I was guilty even worse.

NTs do this too. It is a natural nervous reaction. I don't kow where I read that now though.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2009, 4:56 pm

DeLoreanDude wrote:
I do this sometimes and also when bad things happen I sometimes smile and I cant control it, it's very annoying!

Same for me! I once had to tell my friends that their neighbor died and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face! I felt terrible about it.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 5:02 pm

The more sever the scolding or punishment the more I laughed. Girlfriends breaking up very tenderly and sadly and I couldn't keep a straight face. At funerals I'd be laughing when others were crying.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 5:03 pm

Greyhound wrote:

j0sh wrote:

NTs do this too. It is a natural nervous reaction. I don't kow where I read that now though.

About the schizophrenia thing, that was what I was reading about at the time, actually. Tony Attwood was talking about how some people in the past have been mistaken for having schizophrenia due to this and other traits shared with AS.

I would like to read about that being a natural nervous reaction even in neurotypical people. I'm going to have to Google about that as I had never known anyone else to do it but myself when I was a child. Thanks for throwing that in there, I really had no idea about that.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 5:05 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
Greyhound wrote:

j0sh wrote:

About the schizophrenia thing, that was what I was reading about at the time, actually. Tony Attwood was talking about how some people in the past have been mistaken for having schizophrenia due to this and other traits shared with AS.

I would like to read about that being a natural nervous reaction even in neurotypical people. I'm going to have to Google about that as I had never known anyone else to do it but myself when I was a child. Thanks for throwing that in there, I really had no idea about that.

That's okay. I wish I could remember where I read or heard it. It explains why children often laugh when they're told off (although it can also be due to disregard for authority etc.).

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 5:14 pm

Well I know that I can laugh when I'm really frustrated. But my usual response to anything growing up was to cry. Just having a serious conversation wold make me cry; I wasn't sad, I wasn't angry, I was just crying. I hated to cry too! I still do this now but I'm a bit better at it. At least I don't cry when my boss talks to me about something anymore, like I did when I was younger!! 8O

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 5:19 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Well I know that I can laugh when I'm really frustrated. But my usual response to anything growing up was to cry. Just having a serious conversation wold make me cry; I wasn't sad, I wasn't angry, I was just crying. I hated to cry too! I still do this now but I'm a bit better at it. At least I don't cry when my boss talks to me about something anymore, like I did when I was younger!! 8O

I can also relate to that. I either cry or laugh during a serious conversation. I wish I wouldn't do it. =[

EvoVari
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2009, 6:04 pm

Similar issues as a child when I would be accused of a wrong doing. Either smile or laugh when things got serious and yes, that would seal my guilt with all. The more I tried to explain my true innocence the more loss of self control would occur. Since dx my family have commented on my smiling and laughing in serious conversation or at sad events.

The lack of grieving at the death of friends and family was distressing for me. Annalysing my behvaiour and comparing it to others would produce guilt/shame process.

This problem of producing appropriate emotions for people with AS, do you believe it is an extreme stress response?

Just curious, I can watch a TV show, movie or a quiet reflective moment and feel strong emotions appropriately. I'm relaxed and comfortable with my enviroment at these times.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 6:18 pm

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
When my mom is yelling I have to try really hard not to smile or laugh because she gets this ridiculous look on her face when she's angry. Although she's the only person I've ever seen yelling so perhaps that look is just the look of anger. But still, I have to really fight the urge to bust up laughing every time, and it makes me feel bad because I know she's trying to be serious and vent her frustration but I can't help it.

If I'm understanding you right, I'm thinking this is something different. I different type of inappropriate emotional reaction. You are talking about laughing because you find something funny?

It's like, there's having an emotional reaction that's appropriate to what one is thinking, but inappropriate to the situation -- laughing at a funeral because you found something funny.

Which I'm thinking aspies would be more likely than NTs to do simple because of being less sensitive to social cues.

But it looks to me like that's a different thing from what's being talked about here.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 7:03 pm

EvoVari wrote:
Similar issues as a child when I would be accused of a wrong doing. Either smile or laugh when things got serious and yes, that would seal my guilt with all. The more I tried to explain my true innocence the more loss of self control would occur. Since dx my family have commented on my smiling and laughing in serious conversation or at sad events.

The lack of grieving at the death of friends and family was distressing for me. Annalysing my behvaiour and comparing it to others would produce guilt/shame process.

This problem of producing appropriate emotions for people with AS, do you believe it is an extreme stress response?

Just curious, I can watch a TV show, movie or a quiet reflective moment and feel strong emotions appropriately. I'm relaxed and comfortable with my enviroment at these times.

Same here, despite my indifference to the loss of loved ones, I do feel strong emotions when expected during movies and TV programs. For instance, I recently went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and I admit I nearly cried.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:19 am

I don't remember the details, but my mum has been known to call me an evil little witch on occasions.

y es como un semestre"